why is mesa trying to hire 200 next month

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Detroitpilot22

according to Airlineapps.com Mesa wants to hire 200 pilots next month. First of all, how could they even possibly do this. Second, why? Are they really that short or is it for there Hawaii thing.

Detroitpilot22 said:
according to Airlineapps.com Mesa wants to hire 200 pilots next month. First of all, how could they even possibly do this. Second, why? Are they really that short or is it for there Hawaii thing.
Every silver lining has a gray cloud.

Detroitpilot22 said:
Yes, they are really that short, and no, I don't believe its possible to run that many through the training department. The Hawaii thing only has a few crews dedicated to it, but I would expect it to become more than that. With the high attrition rate, they are falling behind very quickly. I'll leave it at that.

P.S. - Speaking of attrition from Mesa, would any CS folks have any pointers for getting noticed?

Unless they drop their mins to about 250tt (for everyone not just the PFTers) then they will come nowhere close to that number. Look forward to seeing Mesa lose some flying in the future - looks like their growing a bit too big for their britches and will have a lot MORE cancelled flights due to crews in the future and likely, unhappy mainline customers....

Last edited:
Perhaps JO will discover that unintended consequences are a bitch.

Screw your workers, workers go elsewhere. Screw your workers, word gets out. Word gets out, Mesa becomes job offer of last resort only. When your airline gains an infamous reputation, recruiting, hiring, and training can't keep up. When you don't have enough pilots (due to all the above), you end up screwing your workers harder, and the cycle continues.

But then again, it may all be part of JO's plan to keep seniority low and keep as many as possible on the bottom of the payscale. Brilliant!

Is mesa giving higher pay to people who are working in HNL or are they making the same rates as the mainland? I couldn't imagine any employee being able to do the Go! airlines thing for more than a few months if they are not recieving premium pay.

Question for the Mesa pilots...when you guys do standups(Continuous duty trips), do you get a hotel room? I've heard that they make you sleep on the airplanes, but not sure if that's completely true. Can you clarify?

ReportCanoa said:
Where are they gonna find 200 clowns? A state hospital?

They visited most of the flight schools around Phoenix and hired a bunch of instructors.

ilkwamh2 said:
Question for the Mesa pilots...when you guys do standups(Continuous duty trips), do you get a hotel room? I've heard that they make you sleep on the airplanes, but not sure if that's completely true. Can you clarify?

I have slept on the airplane during a stand-up but it wasn't scheduled that way. Hotels were on my schedule. In my situation, we arrived late due to weather and thus I was looking at reduced nap time. I slept in the aircraft to get more sleep. However, there have been some trips that were planned with a 3 hour layover in some place like BIL. The terminal shut down and everyone went home except the crews. They stayed on the plane. I have heard of this happening with our PHX crews. I haven't heard about it from any other domicile. The BIL trip that I heard about had a failed APU in the winter. No Hotel etc. It wasn't pretty. I believe the union crawled all over them for this and they have removed these types of pairings. I could be wrong - I am ORD based these days.

The good news is that Mesa is learning that abuse of your crews does equal recruiting issues. I know the Mesa pilots are tired of the abuse but at present have tied hands. We stand ready for an improved quality of life and sooner or later - MGT will get the big picture. No One Wants To Work Here!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back