• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Joking

Just kidding here....
Because helicopters don't fly...They beat the air into submission.:laugh:

I have so far managed to not say anything negative about anyones reponses on this forum, but now I must take exception to Instructordudes incredibly ignorant if not immature post. If you do not have the experience as you indicate than perhaps a nice STF up would be in order.
Both realms of flying are different. I can say it is more plausible for a helo DUDE to live longer flying a FW with no experience than it is for FW aviator jumping in and flying a RW.
That being said someone earlier mentioned Army and Marines do not make it to VP slots. There is probably alot of truth to that statement. Besides in generations past helos just were not cool with the fast movers. Still see it obviously today. Additionally the FW guys and Gals missed out on all that quality tent time that the Army and Corp loves...

Birdman
BTV

Last edited:
It takes time to accomplish but f/w flying is alot more representative of the experience the majors want.

For me as a helo bubba it took 5 years, 1 month to go through 2 commuters and two non-sched companies to make it to a major.

TBH, going 15 miles from MCAS Tustin to the ranges at Pendleton VFR talking to no one other than range control in the restricted areas is really not anthing like flying in an airline environment.

But, it should count towards total time.

We hire a lot of helo guys, they all do well. We count the multi helo time towards MEL, and all hell time towards totals. We have never had a training failure with a former active military helo driver, can not say the same for pure civilian pilots. They a have a lot going for them, pre screened for a highly competitvie training prograam, trained to standard procedures, and a disipline that is uniform. I know a lot of the regional count helo time also because I have lost helo pilots out of the pool to places like ASA and Colgan.

I have so far managed to not say anything negative about anyones reponses on this forum, but now I must take exception to Instructordudes incredibly ignorant if not immature post. If you do not have the experience as you indicate than perhaps a nice STF up would be in order.

Methinks he was being facetious. Lighten up, Francis.

Both realms of flying are different. I can say it is more plausible for a helo DUDE to live longer flying a FW with no experience than it is for FW aviator jumping in and flying a RW.
That being said someone earlier mentioned Army and Marines do not make it to VP slots. There is probably alot of truth to that statement. Besides in generations past helos just were not cool with the fast movers. Still see it obviously today. Additionally the FW guys and Gals missed out on all that quality tent time that the Army and Corp loves...

Birdman
BTV

Instructordude is a complete clown - do not even try to reason with him. He's a standard twenty something embry ridiculous or all ATP product with a few hundred hours and his CFI and thinks he actually has some air sense. The guy has no clue and will never make it past Air Wisconsin or Chataqua because he's already managed to get himself blackballed on here with every major carrier out there.

Instructordude is a complete clown - do not even try to reason with him. He's a standard twenty something embry ridiculous or all ATP product with a few hundred hours and his CFI and thinks he actually has some air sense.

Actually, I think, no I'm pretty sure, instructordude is uppercrust!

Instructordude is a complete clown - do not even try to reason with him. He's a standard twenty something embry ridiculous or all ATP product with a few hundred hours and his CFI and thinks he actually has some air sense. The guy has no clue and will never make it past Air Wisconsin or Chataqua because he's already managed to get himself blackballed on here with every major carrier out there.

Sorry Crapdog but I got some high connections at CAL and FedEX. I can't meet the mins at Fedex for awhile so I'll settle for CAL.

As far as reasoning with folks, it is ok to disagree. You're not at the Academy any more, so here is a little advice: It takes all types.

Spaz, yeah obviously FW time is required, but to count C-152 time in a day VFR traffic pattern and not count multi crew, multi-ship time in a highly complex airframe (UH-60,AH-64, CH-47, CH-53, CH-46 etc) is lunacy.

Again, RW time is deffinately NOT a substitute but is much more demanding than any kind of GA piston single. You are flying in a crew environment between 5-200 AGL for hours at a time at night, in formation etc etc bla-bla.

and it's also a he!! of a lot more fun... starch wing flying is soooo boring

Actually, C-152 time doesn't count for much either.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back