Why is AT&T losing its pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Snicker. :blush:
And that right there is a large problem in our industry now. The new breed of Aviation Directors and Chief Pilots are lacking in the bulge when it comes to standing up for their guys. They're all a bunch of yes men (and I use the term men loosely).

Very true, Not saying all of them but it does appear that many of the CP's and DO's are too concerned with protecting their own images and not protecting their people. Once again, not saying all of them, but there seem to be an increasing number of self interest minded individuals.

Right on. Well said. DS is also a very fine pilot. He is just about the only hope I see for that place which is why he will never get the position.

It sounds as if this person is finished at AT&T then. He would be a threat to the Pompous A-hole. Apparently the way things work there are that the Pompous A-hole gives out jobs, that report to him. Even when jobs don’t report to him, he pokes his nose in and tries to control things. He then constantly rides the person assigned the job, essentially dictating how he wants the outcome. He will spam them with email and phone calls at all hours. From all accounts he does this out of fear, because most know he is extremely limited and fearful of being exposed. Which is funny, as it’s not really a secret.

There are apparently several very smart, well educated experienced people that are trying to make a change, unfortunately they are held back by one persons death grip on his self anointed directorship. Sadly, neither the current director or chief pilot appear to care much as they are just collecting paychecks.

Sounds about right. I hear they are looking for yet *ANOTHER* F/O in Dallas. Amazing. Are they expanding or are more people quitting?

None of the furloughees were offered the position, yet again, which is just flat out wrong.

furloughees? recalls?....:confused:

Behind all the "I'm so sorry" and "it was a hard decision" BS is usually an Aviation Manager who is THRILLED to finally be able to clean house to his liking.

There's a reason they usually cut deep then hire replacements within a year.

Behind all the "I'm so sorry" and "it was a hard decision" BS is usually an Aviation Manager who is THRILLED to finally be able to clean house to his liking.

I'm starting think I know why...

Not the case here. Despite my criticisms of the former director I don't think he took any satisfaction in cutting anyone. He got orders from the top to chop the department in half and started at the bottom of the list. The heartburn for many is the way the list was constructed. Similar to the airline merger/takeover issues we constantly hear about, T had the same issues with newly acquired guys vaulting over people who had been there up to 12...maybe more....years.

They hired replacements because people they kept quit after the move for the reasons others stated previously.

That said, there are probably people they could recall who would gladly take the job because they need it. Or perhaps they've moved on and it is academic... Sounds like folks are jumping ship in bunches, so may not be so great a gig anymore...

Last edited:
Not the case here. Despite my criticisms of the former director I don't think he took any satisfaction in cutting anyone. He got orders from the top to chop the department in half and started at the bottom of the list. The heartburn for many is the way the list was constructed. Similar to the airline merger/takeover issues we constantly hear about, T had the same issues with newly acquired guys vaulting over people who had been there up to 12...maybe more....years.

They hired replacements because people they kept quit after the move for the reasons others stated previously.

That said, there are probably people they could recall who would gladly take the job because they need it. Or perhaps they've moved on and it is academic... Sounds like folks are jumping ship in bunches, so may not be so great a gig anymore...

All good points, LD! Let's not forget how corporate aviation became the whipping boy of the liberals at this time. So downsizing had some good PR points. Randall gutted the department and sold aircraft to justify the move to Dallas so he could get out from under his former bosses shadow.

To the poster who mentioned "moving on", a corporate job like AT&T should be the equivalent of a major on our side of the airport. It is disgraceful that people who had so much invested in by said company were not offered a position.

I have moved on but I am sure there are those who would have liked the opportunity to return.

To the poster who mentioned "moving on", a corporate job like AT&T should be the equivalent of a major on our side of the airport. It is disgraceful that people who had so much invested in by said company were not offered a position.

oh horse puckey. when companies get rid of people, it's just that. they don't want them back.

Latest resources

Back