• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why is AT&T losing its pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The original question of why so many AT&T pilots leaving, was asked because nobody just quit that department in the past. People retired, but they just didn't quit. Once asked, a lot of info about the department came out. None of it sounds good. When pilots go looking for jobs, maybe they want a great place, maybe they just need to put food on the table. They should hopefully have an idea of what they're getting into.

It seems at least a few posters here were part of the layoffs a few years back. This was not reopen any old wounds.

We all meet other pilots on the road, NBAA, etc. This asst chief pilot, GD, is about the worst I have ever met. He doesn't just shoot the crap, he holds court, as a court jester would. Unfortunately he has weaseled his way into a position of management simply through tenure. By all accounts he is a marginal pilot, and a micro manager. My friend of many years, former director DY could not stomach the man. Unfortunately, GD, may get his wish and become director, though there are apparently some much more talented people there.

Pilots looking for work should also know some of the hiring practices of a department. AT&T had to fill these empty slots from pilots leaving. They will be hiring another very soon as two pilots are down, possibly for good. There will be one qualification, besides the requisite minimum hours. Be a woman. Just like the last we hire. The Director's bonus is tied to diversity numbers, and he is hell bent on maximizing his bonus. That little tidbit comes from a hiring board member. They will hold the interviews and take up your time, but they already have two women "in the pool".

So who cares? Maybe nobody. Hopefully somebody that can sidestep this turd on the sidewalk.

DY couldn't stomach Nator...???

If that is true it serves as a perfect example of the absentee landlord that DY was. Failure of leadership. Failure to lead.

DY was concerned with image and style not substance. Subordinates with good ideas were ignored while Nator and the Pope ran wild. DY did not care as long as *he* could hold court at dinner when you wound up on the road in the same town (another voluntarily mandatory bs thing you had to show up to...even if you had more important stuff to do like sleep or study...and by gawd you better wear the right clothes) and waste a little Uverse revenue on some expensive wine.

The move was an opportunity to cut some dead weight. Three guys come to mind. But DY used selective loyalty to protect incompetent legacy SBC piots at the expense of good SBC and Cingular pilots. Failure of leadership. Failure to lead.

By all appearances Nator was DY's pet. His Mini Me. His golden boy. If the guy was a problem then the Emperor shoulda smacked him down. Failure of leadership. Failure to lead.

Last edited:
Oh and there were people who quit the department in the past, though perhaps at a lower rate than at present. One particular female SWA Captain comes to mind. Everyone thought she was crazy to do it. Look who is laughing now.

u sound like a bitter guy who has been canned a few times.

If you guys come back in a few years and reread this stuff- you'll have a good laugh.

I see what you are saying but....a lot of people I care about got hurt...badly. I see no humor in it.

To the previous poster...not bitter. Have no reason to be--aside from an epidemic of poor leadership and self-interest that is bringing our nation to its knees that is. But will call it as I see it. Nobody is forcing you to read this. The O.P. asked a question. I responded. Take it or leave it.

Last edited:
If you guys come back in a few years and reread this stuff- you'll have a good laugh.

Not sure your interest in AT&T. I was a surplus pilot and I still like to know what's going on.

I got a great gig two months after my last day at "T". I Might break 100 hours this year in the G550. Great trips, working with CRJCA, pay, tips and a G650 is confirmed in the queue. Living overseas away from the financial/social unrest of the States, life is good. I thank God for getting the boot!

Cheers- Rum

P.S. I do remember being new and dressed up in my Brooks Brother's thinking that I was the lowest paid Falcon pilot at the FBO. I rationalized this with the thought AT&T brought security. Obviously, I was wrong.

I even know a pilot who left a good corporate job (privatly owned and it sounded great) for the lure of AT&T and he knew how the surplus pilots were treated. I gave him the good and bad and how our promise of a return was a lie. Anyway, I think he got caught up going back to DFW, whatever. i still can't believe he took the job knowing how we were treated. But, once again, the name trumps.

I do remember being new and dressed up in my Brooks Brothers

The amount of waste in that area alone boggles the mind. $600+ a year per pilot just on ties... (That's when they were $55 a pop, not $75 like now.) *Gasp*

Glad you guys landed on your feet, finally...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back