• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why is AT&T losing its pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Palpatine, Pope / Vader, NATOR, Shakedown, Hey / Lubbock, Slats / Stroker, Sanford*, Smooth*, CFit, CM1, CM2*, Bugman*, Monkey*, Drunky*, Jihad*, Digits, KGB, Gunny*, Junk, MAD*, J-Dawg*, Dodo

* Are good guys/gals. Some are actual military call signs that came from outside.

There were others, good people. But nicknames too obvious (like yours, Runner) so don't want to put them on there.

There was quite a collection of funny names. It was a diverse group.

Last edited:
Palpatine, Pope / Vader, NATOR, Shakedown, Hey / Lubbock, Slats / Stroker, Sanford*, Smooth*, CFit, CM1, CM2*, Bugman*, Monkey*, Drunky*, Jihad*, Digits, KGB, Gunny*, Junk, MAD*, J-Dawg*, Dodo

* Are good guys/gals. Some are actual military call signs that came from outside.

There were others, good people. But nicknames too obvious (like yours, Runner) so don't want to put them on there.

There was quite a collection of funny names. It was a diverse group.

Your killing me! Classic stuff.

Sounds like 2 or 3 good people that were laid off by AT&T and have contributed to the thread. Why did the company not call you back? Would any have gone back, given the chance?

Sounds like 2 or 3 good people that were laid off by AT&T and have contributed to the thread. Why did the company not call you back? Would any have gone back, given the chance?

Excellent questions! I was lucky to find a great gig that put me on payroll January 2009. I would have loved to have been asked so I could have politely declined. I wish other surplus pilots were recalled as I know some were not so fortunate.

Now, as time flies, Nov 12, 2012 will be 4 years since my last flight with "T". Since then, I have banked the severance (I understand that was a reason for not getting called back), banked cash and put a GV type in my backpocket.

Life is indeed a strange journey. Had I been sent to Dallas i am sure I would still be there. But, for whatever reason, that didn't happen.

I am thankful to have been let go so I could advance my career overseas. It is not for everyone but I love the expat life. It will be very hard to consider a job back in the States.

Cheers-

Rum

My understanding was the Navy guy that actually came back, declined when he was offered the move to Dallas, and yet they called him back. Did he get the same severance as the furloughed people? And you are saying, the guys that wanted to stay, but were furloughed, were never allowed to come back. Did anyone try?

Management lied. Specifically DY. He was asked if the furloughees were eligible for recall and he said yes unequivocally. I know of no furloughed pilot being asked to come back from the Dallas-move-bloodbath.

I guess my amazement is why would a guy who turned AT&T down, be allowed to return, over a guy who never wanted to leave and wanted to come back. My understanding is that was much later after DY left, so sounds like some more shady back office deals. Possible Hot Bunking?

Management lied. Specifically DY. He was asked if the furloughees were eligible for recall and he said yes unequivocally. I know of no furloughed pilot being asked to come back from the Dallas-move-bloodbath.

Bloodbath is right! So many of us settled into San Antonio, bought homes and within a year, the real estate, job market cratered and we were given notice.

SA is a tough market to be cut lose in for sure. Love the Hill Country but it is not an aviation hub!

The best management pilot they had didn't want to be one in the first place... Went back to being a line captain after the move. Great, great guy. Nothing but respect for him. Heart of gold.

This is true. Now he is fighting the big fight and I wish him well in that.

Latest resources

Back