Why General Custer(Lee) loves the merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

nwaredtail

And why he is even more of a jag. After doing some research and actually using the seniority that he "says" he is, the General makes out under either proposal.

Lets look:

Approx DAL seniority :47%, in five years (assuming retirement at 60 for BOTH AIRLINES) his seniorirty at original Delta would be 41% and in ten years 20%.

Under NWA proposal, Year 1 = 51% (hardly the 14% he was crying about) year 5 = 39% (5 % better than his original DAL projection due to NWA retirements) and at year 10 = 15% (25% better than his original DAL projection, thanks to NWA retirements)

Under DAL proposal year 1 = 46%, year 5 = 35 % ( 15% better than original seniority at DAL) year 10 = 10% ( a full 50% better than he would have had if DAL stood alone)

Either way, he gains seniority, it's just how much. All due to NWA retirements. How about a thank you butt head!!!!!!!!!!If you assume age 65, just project out 5 extra years.

Point is, Mr. Vocal wins either way, so far.

Last edited:
And why he is even more of a jag. .

I think you're a jag! ???

Delta pilots haven't gotten much out of this merger so far. We get to look forward to a 5% pay bump in January that meets inflation wow. How much of a raise did you just get? How about the longevity bumps your furloughed pilots get? Work-rule improvements, qol, etc, etc.
Bottom line is we'll see when the list comes out if the Delta pilots get anything out of this.

87% of NWA pilots voted in favor of the JCBA.

62% of Delta pilots voted in favor.

This fact is very illuminating as to who received a better deal.

Last edited:
I think you're a jag! ???

Delta pilots haven't gotten much out of this merger so far. We get to look forward to a 5% pay bump in January that meets inflation wow. How much of a raise did you just get? How about the longevity bumps your furloughed pilots get? Work-rule improvements, qol, etc, etc.
Bottom line is we'll see when the list comes out if the Delta pilots get anything out of this.

This is tooooooooooo easy, You get the legacy airline that has regularly had the best financal numbers in the last few years (for an airline), 3 billion in cash to help us during the current financial crisis, fortress hubs, ASIA, Larger capacity, hot SEA flight Attendants,etc.

Pay raise? We are all still paid 1989 wages genius. Nothing to be proud of. Longevity bump ( for a few), Work rules? (won some, lost some) Bottom line, no artbitration award HAS EVER MENTIONED WHOS CONTRACT WAS BETTER. EVER. "Merger of equals" is what Bloch said. Change the record rookie.

Last edited:
And why he is even more of a jag. After doing some research and actually using the seniority that he "says" he is, the General makes out under either proposal.

Lets look:

Approx DAL seniority :47%, in five years (assuming retirement at 60 for BOTH AIRLINES) his seniorirty at original Delta would be 41% and in ten years 20%.

Under NWA proposal, Year 1 = 51% (hardly the 14% he was crying about) year 5 = 39% (5 % better than his original DAL projection due to NWA retirements) and at year 10 = 15% (25% better than his original DAL projection, thanks to NWA retirements)

Under DAL proposal year 1 = 46%, year 5 = 35 % ( 15% better than original seniority at DAL) year 10 = 10% ( a full 50% better than he would have had if DAL stood alone)

Either way, he gains seniority, it's just how much. All due to NWA retirements. How about a thank you butt head!!!!!!!!!!If you assume age 65, just project out 5 extra years.

First off DC9 Captain (I'm impressed), I would like you to acknowledge my correct statement about the DTW-KIX route, along with SEA-LHR and DTW-CDG getting the eventual axe. You said my credibility was sinking, and it turns out again I was right.

As far as your SLI proposal goes, you keep forgetting that we have just as many, or MORE retirements than you do, just spaced 5 years afterward. We do. You like to say that attrition should count for something, yet that has NEVER been added to any SLI award, EVER. (as stated by your A320FO witness on the stand) The fact is, you want all of the pay raises, all of the movement, and our widebodies, which would give you ANOTHER large pay raise. Your Greenbooks are salivating to get into a widebody, since your Roberts award didn't allow it. Thank gawd the manning formula (something which benefits you AGAIN--you forgot that too) will allow your Greenbooks to bid up to their OWN widebodies first, much to the chagrin of furious junior Redbooks.

Fact. Our SLI proposal gives Deltoids a 2% bump up on our current relative percentage. (due to our proposal that 400 of your bottom pilots go to the bottom of the combined list---due to DC9s leaving the fleet and being lowest paid).

Fact. Your DOH proposal bumps the average Delta pilot backwards 7-14% (me, 14%). Your guy on the Stand stated you offered ratios to Roberts himself, and that you should use the Roberts award as something what NOT to use again. When you were the larger airline in SLI talks (like with CAL), you went for ratios. Now that you are smaller, you want DOH. It is all in the transcripts.

Now look, I can tell you are getting frustrated. I am getting to you maybe. LaCrosse layovers are getting to you. Whatever. Anyway, just get used to the fact that your testimony on the stand (inwhich everyone can see it) isn't helping your cause, and neither is precedent. Other than that, good times! Hey, at least you just got a nice raise. I can't wait for mine too (you get another one then too) on Jan 1st.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:

Uh..

Isn't this basically what was the main issue with the USAirways (east) with the America West guys?

The majority of retirements are east in the next 15 years... with the ratio Nicolau award.. the AWA guys captured most of the attrition.

First off DC9 Captain (I'm impressed), I would like you to acknowledge my correct statement about the DTW-KIX route, along with SEA-LHR and DTW-CDG getting the eventual axe. You said my credibility was sinking, and it turns out again I was right.

You were wrong, Kix was announced long ago and the SEA-LHR is gone just for a couple months, back in spring. Sorry, your credibility is still crap.

Fact. Our SLI proposal gives Deltoids a 2% bump up on our current relative percentage. (due to our proposal that 400 of your bottom pilots go to the bottom of the combined list---due to DC9s leaving the fleet and being lowest paid)
. Plus an additional 25-50% in 5 to ten years, but that doesn't seem to be mentioned by you, why is that?
Fact. Your DOH proposal bumps the average Delta pilot backwards 7-14% (me, 14%).
But generally gets everyone ahead where they would be at original Delta in 5 to 10 years, yet you never mention that. Why is that?

But you agree, that you personally win either way, right?

This is tooooooooooo easy, You get the legacy airline that has regularly had the best financal numbers in the last few years (for an airline), 3 billion in cash to help us during the current financial crisis, fortress hubs, ASIA, Larger capacity, hot SEA flight Attendants,etc.

Pay raise? We are all still paid 1989 wages genius. Nothing to be proud of. Longevity bump ( for a few), Work rules? (won some, lost some) Bottom line, no artbitration award HAS EVER MENTIONED WHOS CONTRACT WAS BETTER. EVER. "Merger of equals" is what Bloch said. Change the record rookie.

That's all you have. Bloch's pre-written statement he voiced that we are "equals" (actually meaning one airline isn't failing (didn't you say you were saving us with all that cash Steenland kept to look better for a merger partner instead of expanding)) That really is what happened you know. Steenland wanted out, and kept cash (thanks to your bad contract and low rates) to attract merger partners. Regardless, you need to look at all of your testimony to back up your statements, which doesn't really help your case.

Why were we all at 1989 wages, but you gave up more to keep those pensions, and we kept our rules and better wages than you had. Then, we used most of the working capital offered to us for this merger from our management to bring you up to parity, genius. That sure was nice of us. And no merger has equated who's contract was better? Really? It doesn't take that account into awarding a windfall? Are you sure about that? I don't think you are. A DC9 Captain can't be thrown up to a 777 Captain's seniority range---that is a windfall.

And, we are both memebers of ALPA. We have to follow ALPA merger policies. The arbitrators know this. We'll see.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Change the record rookie.

The way I see it we get MSP, DTW, and MEM as hubs, old a$$ DC-9s 747 cargo pieces of junk, and a bunch of jag (?) pilots like yourself. Rookie? That'll be funny when I'm senior to you in the arbitration award.

Latest resources

Back