• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why Fares Remain Low...ABC News article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWA is attempting to continue to give low fares to folks who deserve them, the American public.
Why on Earth does the consumer "deserve" low fares? Do I "deserve" a low price on a Bentley? What's the difference? Why should the travelling consumer be treated with such deference? These idiots pay $99 to go from JFK to LGB and they then complain that the seats are too uncomfortable and that they don't get a free meal. Why do these morons deserve anything? They get no sympathy from me. At least not until I only have to pay $5 bucks for a Rolex. Because I "deserve" it, you know.:rolleyes:

pilotyip said:
almost highest paid pilots.

SWA has the highest paid pilots because everyone else has been forced to come down to their level with draconian concessions. Not the other way around.

so PLC SWA pilots are under paid?

pilotyip said:
Capt go figure, SWA lowest fares, most profitable, almost highest paid pilots. There must be something to their business plan and managment worth copying.

True. We'll see how long they remain the "highest paid"

PCL 128: I agree with everything you said.

Capt. Mega...

You could argue UPS charges to little to ship! You could argue that your customers don't deserve a decent price when shipping things. My guess is if you guys get the big raise your after everything will be fine, if not maybe you should raise your prices?

Maybe the folks at SWA are happy with what they make. Not breaking the bank, but not a bad income either. I'd rather make 16,000 a month for the rest of my career then to make 20,000 a month and be furloughed for 5 years, missing out on income or being assigned a different airplane and title. (you know like going to the DC-9 and switching seats due to seniority)

Southwest is concerned about Southwest... If other companies can't make money at the going rate (what we charge) then we just created another advantage that we have over them. Market share is increasing everywhere.

The freight business is much different, I remember when the last UPS strike was going on, Fed Ex could not handle all the extra volume... those companies are both needed. In the Pax side of things if an airline failed, the other carriers would pick up the slack in a hurry.

Last edited:
PCL_128 said:
SWA has the highest paid pilots because everyone else has been forced to come down to their level with draconian concessions. Not the other way around.

Yeah, we are at such a terrible level to come down too! We are holding the bar. Why is that so bad? We just do what we do, and let you guys do all the complaining.

Happy flying,

RB

PCL_128 said:
Why on Earth does the consumer "deserve" low fares? Do I "deserve" a low price on a Bentley? What's the difference? Why should the travelling consumer be treated with such deference? These idiots pay $99 to go from JFK to LGB and they then complain that the seats are too uncomfortable and that they don't get a free meal. Why do these morons deserve anything? They get no sympathy from me. At least not until I only have to pay $5 bucks for a Rolex. Because I "deserve" it, you know.:rolleyes:

PCL,

The traveling public,"idiots", "morons", are the very folks who pay your company, my company, allow both of us to have an income. Whenever these wonderful folks come on to my plane to allow me & my fellow employees to "take" their money, I believe they "expect" something in return. They expect to be treated with respect, not contempt; with appreciation, not derision over their spending habits; with a smile & thanks, not with a "sit down & shut up, you didn't pay enough to be worthy of having an opinion" that you appear to be implying from your post....sorry if I misread that somehow.

The consumer can do with their money what they want, spend it however they wish & with it determine the value of many things that you or I may not agree with. But when the time comes when they do spend money in my direction the last thing I need to express to them, either verbally or with my attitude/non-verbal comm is the attitude you appear to have toward them. It's certainly my right to but I shouldn't be surprised if they choose to go somewhere else next time.

My apologies in advance if I've misread your view of the very folks who proivde you an income. You & I deserve whatever income the market place dictates & in turn whatever is negotiated...at the end of the day the "idiots", "morons" & other passengers will determine that fact, not my union, not my company nor other pilots who "think" they know what they should be paid. It's called the free market system. However, when I spend my money, I can "expect" certain things also....remember who is paying who here?

Thanks for your reply....I believe it sums up the view of some posters I see regularly that come down on a different side of how customers are viewed....some view them as a necessary irritant, others like myself appreciate each & everyone, without them I'd be out of work....we'd all be my friend is my point. As long as your view is prevalent among carriers, Southwest will prosper....the differences will be obvious to the casual observer & customer....cheers...

Last edited:
Chase, I agree that pax need to be treated with respect when they ride on our planes. I always make PA's to keep them informed of delays, comp drinks when appropriate, and stand at the door after the flight to thank them for flying with us. However, in thanks, they do nothing but complain about the service they get for their measly $100 ticket. It's no different than a car buyer purchasing a KIA and complaining that it isn't as comfortable as a BMW. If you want first class service, then you need to pay for it. The flying consumer is unwilling to do that, and it's because people like you keep telling them that they "deserve" low air fares. They don't "deserve" any such thing. Air travel is an amazing feat of human engineering, and it takes thousands upon thousands of "little people" (ie: labor) to make it possible each and every flight. Reducing such an unbelievable thing to a $25 ticket price is simply absurd. No, the traveling consumer doesn't "deserve" low prices. They need to learn that they're going to have to pay a reasonable price for an airline ticket. I say bring back regulation.

Latest resources

Back