Why don't Delta pilots stop the merger?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tedspal01

I am a Delta new hire, Mar 3rd class date. I now have a very vested interest in the future of Delta. I don't really know what life will look like if we merge. But, I am almost certain it will good if we do not. With Delta experiencing lots of growth with no end in site. I have a couple questions for Delta guys.

1. I have heard the Delta pilot union has a large scope, what is this scope?

2. Why don't the pilots just say that they do not want to merge?

3. I have written my senators to tell them that I do not think a merger between Delta and Northwest is in the best interest of (me) the American consumer. Has anyone else that is not in favor of the merger written their congressmen?

Thanks for your thoughts

Cheers

The merger will not be decided by what's best for you, that's for sure.

Many people familiar with the industry, including many pilots, think a merger is the only way to be profitable with fuel prices as high as they are, along with other economic considerations. Fares must get higher to make a profit, and anything other than profitablilty, to quote George Costanza, is just masturbation.

Mergers may be painful in the short run, but could be the best thing for all of us in the long run.

Last edited:
March 3rd class? Honestly bro, and I'm not being a jerk, but I could see your class being put on hold if something shakes out between now and the time you start.

Interesting times for sure. A little TOO interesting for a dude trying to start class with a new company.

Gup

Is this not just simple math? Available seats in the sky vs market pricing? Reduction of seats by merger = same or higher prices going to one bottom line. Makes since to me.
Either way you look at it, merger or not, Delta is not the bottom of the list to be on...However, you'll look cool in that uniform for a few months.

Is this not just simple math? Available seats in the sky vs market pricing? Reduction of seats by merger = same or higher prices going to one bottom line. Makes since to me.
Either way you look at it, merger or not, Delta is not the bottom of the list to be on...However, you'll look cool in that uniform for a few months.

You might want to change your formula there guy, reduction of seats by merger temporarily = same or higher prices temporarily. Mergers do not limit entry by other airlines into the markets that may be capacity-reduced. And I am sure our delta new hire friend really appreciates your positive best wishes. If you are in this industry, you will be affected by consolidation, regardless of where in the industry you are. Nobody is safe from the changes that will take place, and yes some people may benefit in the shortrun (low cost carriers) in the long run who knows. If these huge airlines do end up forming, if I were sitting in the big office with the nice suit, I would underbid all the low cost carriers (and yes, one day Southwest's fuel hedge will be such a small percentage of their total fuel that they too will feel the pressure of expensive fuel). Put pressure on their profits maybe driving some out of business, and supplement that loss with the profits from all the international flying. That is the advantage of a big company, they have a lot of power in the industry to bully around the little guys, ask Microsoft. I don't wish anyone in the industry any bad fortune, but this thing is going to affect everyone, and many people who probably think they are safe from the effects may be very surprised.

Welcome to the unofficial DAL crew conference room. Ignore the SWA guys. They have great jobs, good pizza, and good fun throwing rocks at everyone else.

Scope is the section of the agreement that permits Delta flying to be outsourced to pilots who are not Delta pilots. Scope is also known as "Section 1" since it is usually the first part of the pilots' working agreement. At one time scope was simple - "All Delta flying is performed by Delta pilots." It has become complicated and contentious. Since scope defines which flying you perform it is the most important part of your contract. Without it, you do not have a job.

Delta is still on track to hire 400 to 500 this year. Classes are being increased in size to 50 every two weeks in the short term. Delta needs pilots, so that is good for you.

The merger is likely happening anyway and DALPA figures if they are fully engaged maybe they can get a good pre-nuptial agreement. DALPA is probably the best prepared of any in the industry for this type of transaction.

Your LEC has a meeting coming up next Wednesday - they would probably allow you to attend and ask questions. Call DALPA Monday and ask.

Last edited:
I am a Delta new hire, Mar 3rd class date. I now have a very vested interest in the future of Delta. I don't really know what life will look like if we merge. But, I am almost certain it will good if we do not. With Delta experiencing lots of growth with no end in site. I have a couple questions for Delta guys.

1. I have heard the Delta pilot union has a large scope, what is this scope?

2. Why don't the pilots just say that they do not want to merge?

3. I have written my senators to tell them that I do not think a merger between Delta and Northwest is in the best interest of (me) the American consumer. Has anyone else that is not in favor of the merger written their congressmen?

Thanks for your thoughts

Cheers

So if it came to Delta making a decision that benefits the American consumer (you) over the Delta employee presumably you would write your senator and your in house managers after March 3rd urging them to support the consumer over the employee...after all you have a vested interest in the American consumer...right

fv

With Delta experiencing lots of growth with no end in site. I have a couple questions for Delta guys.

Just curious, do you have your head in the sand? Delta, American, and United were hiring 100 people a month in 2000 and 2001 with lots of growth with no end in sight.

I would say $90 a barrel for oil and the slowing US economy aren't exactly tailwinds for any airline (Delta included) and would evaluate options carefully at any and all airlines that are hiring.

I have written my senators to tell them that I do not think a merger between Delta and Northwest is in the best interest of (me) the American consumer. Has anyone else that is not in favor of the merger written their congressmen?

I am sure you have already written your letter to your senator explaining that the RJs being flown by the big 6 are preventing LCC's from getting slots at big NY and DC airports. Less LCC seats in a market is obviously good for the American consumer.

I have no problem with you being against the merger for personal gain reasons. Just don't try to cover the real reason by saying you are interested in protecting the American consumer.

Latest resources

Back