• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why don't Delta pilots stop the merger?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
March 3rd class? Honestly bro, and I'm not being a jerk, but I could see your class being put on hold if something shakes out between now and the time you start.

Interesting times for sure. A little TOO interesting for a dude trying to start class with a new company.

Gup

Delta just last week increased training to 100 a month for March. No matter how you slice it there are airplanes that are coming on the property right now that need pilots. The intergration if all this goes through wont be worked out for many months. Your assessment would normaly be correct but in this scenario where both airlines have many airframes coming on the property and aggresively growing international flying (requires 32 pilots per airplane) isnt as risky (not saying there isnt risk) as a standard merger of two pilot groups with no immediate deliveries.

American had 737 and 777 deliveries coming on board in 2001 and 100 pilots per month being hired.....your memory (or experience) is short my friend.

Welcome to the unofficial DAL crew conference room. Ignore the SWA guys. They have great jobs, good pizza, and good fun throwing rocks at everyone else.

Scope is the section of the agreement that permits Delta flying to be outsourced to pilots who are not Delta pilots. Scope is also known as "Section 1" since it is usually the first part of the pilots' working agreement. At one time scope was simple - "All Delta flying is performed by Delta pilots." It has become complicated and contentious. Since scope defines which flying you perform it is the most important part of your contract. Without it, you do not have a job.

Delta is still on track to hire 400 to 500 this year. Classes are being increased in size to 50 every two weeks in the short term. Delta needs pilots, so that is good for you.

The merger is likely happening anyway and DALPA figures if they are fully engaged maybe they can get a good pre-nuptial agreement. DALPA is probably the best prepared of any in the industry for this type of transaction.

Your LEC has a meeting coming up next Wednesday - they would probably allow you to attend and ask questions. Call DALPA Monday and ask.

Its SO damn funny hearing fins talk some sense.........the scopemaster speaks!!!

lol....its great hearing his tune change now that he's on this side of the fence.........

American had 737 and 777 deliveries coming on board in 2001 and 100 pilots per month being hired.....your memory (or experience) is short my friend.

Well my friend (glad we made friends so easily), if another 911 happens you are correct furloughs can and probably will happen, not just at newly merged airlines like AA but others such as a single DAL,UAL,NWA,US, etc. No guarantees in this business.

PS- I suspect I have been around at least as long if not longer than you and my memory is just fine.

I am sure you have already written your letter to your senator explaining that the RJs being flown by the big 6 are preventing LCC's from getting slots at big NY and DC airports. Less LCC seats in a market is obviously good for the American consumer.

They could do what the Big 6 did, and use money to gain access. But then you wouldn't be LCC anymore, right?

Sweet irony, thy name is maxblast72!

Welcome to the unofficial DAL crew conference room. Ignore the SWA guys. They have great jobs, good pizza, and good fun throwing rocks at everyone else.

Scope is the section of the agreement that permits Delta flying to be outsourced to pilots who are not Delta pilots. Scope is also known as "Section 1" since it is usually the first part of the pilots' working agreement. At one time scope was simple - "All Delta flying is performed by Delta pilots." It has become complicated and contentious. Since scope defines which flying you perform it is the most important part of your contract. Without it, you do not have a job.

Delta is still on track to hire 400 to 500 this year. Classes are being increased in size to 50 every two weeks in the short term. Delta needs pilots, so that is good for you.

The merger is likely happening anyway and DALPA figures if they are fully engaged maybe they can get a good pre-nuptial agreement. DALPA is probably the best prepared of any in the industry for this type of transaction.

Your LEC has a meeting coming up next Wednesday - they would probably allow you to attend and ask questions. Call DALPA Monday and ask.

This is the point you should be focusing on. Growth still exists at Delta with or without a merger. If the merger takes place, the combined airline will be one of the largest (and potentially most profitable if the synergies work) in the world. You should be happy to be a part of that. You will have hundreds of people behind you if hiring holds (and indications are positive from what I have heard).

Congrats for getting on with Delta and don't let the Southwest guys scare you. Ask them about their new upgrade timelines and the Age 65 parties they have been throwing there...

Last edited:
Let's see....merge and park the 9's and reduce capacity. Parked jet's.....capacity cuts. Does the domestic capacity get offset by international growth? You better hope so. What if Europe or Asia have a recession?

I have to agree with some of the other posts.....hire 'till you furlough. It isn't too far fetched to assume that a merger will mean that a DAL and/or NWA new hire will probably need to get their resumes polished up. The good news is, with the domestic capacity cuts, some windows will open up for Air Tran and SWA. Get your apps in there and maybe you can catch them on the next upswing.

Tedspal ( original poster),

Delta's hiring people with 1900 TT?

Who did you Blow?

Has it gotten that bad in this Industry?

Are you a previous Space Shuttle Commander?

Regardless...Well done Sir.

YKW

Thanks for being classy... I'm sure his military background didn't hurt. He probably isn't a desk jockey like Tanker Clown.

They could do what the Big 6 did, and use money to gain access. But then you wouldn't be LCC anymore, right?

Sweet irony, thy name is maxblast72!

We are currently buying additional slots in NY and DC as they come available (new Florida and MKE service starting this year). And actually it is a good business plan for the big 6 to keep LCC's out by using RJ to keep slots filled. The big 6 can keep their prices up and make some money. This is probably not good for consumers, but it is just supply and demand.

I just thought the original poster's letter to his lawmakers was funny. It is amusing that he was so worried about the American consumer (by objecting to the merger) when it is inline with his career progression at Delta.

Latest resources

Back