• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why does AA cancel so many flights?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I Had a flight booked from RIC to DFW this Friday, day of big ice storm.

I can understand canceling Friday's flight, but the flight has been cancelled Saturday and Sunday as well. It is the early morning flight, but the noon flight is also cancelled. There is a minor winter weather event in RIC for today, but nothing really bad. Has AA gotten to be such a bunch of poossies they are afraid to fly?

Personally I hate AA and would fly someone else, but my options are limited, and I think all airlines suck.

Boy, we ain't talking about flyin' crop dusters here. It's not wise to land a real jet airplane on a solid sheet of ice. DFW isn't equipped for that kind of weather. Shall AA just pile the entire fleet down in DFW for a week?

Are you sure someone lets you touch their airplane?

With all the infighting that goes on here, it's nice that (once in awhile) everyone bands together to defend the profession against ignorance. Well done!

+1 and in addition...the airlines can now get huge fines for long tarmac delays. I'm sure that's a factor when taking in to consideration the potential of long delays, they have to cover themselves

AA super 80 drivers dont taxi fast enough so they were worried the aircraft might freeze to the ground and be stuck on ramp somewhere.

He could take his obvious superior flying skills (see above) and try to taxi a Super 80 on 5 inches of solid ice. We can see who the "poosie" is now.

Taxiing on patchy ice sucks enough! I suggest that if you want to go ice-skating, rent a pair of skates and head to a rink.

I'd estimate that there would be about 25% fewer cancellations if airlines didn't have to worry about the government fining them $27,500 per passenger for "tarmac" delays. So.....now people get home a day or two later instead of 4 or 5 hours late. The government looking out for the people ya know.

Latest resources

Back