• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why Do People Bash Swa?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would think that the people who bash anything don't think that they are jealous, although they might be. Kind of pointless to ask isn't it?

Just curious why some people bash SWA, List your reason.

CYA

Although SWA pays well now in comparison to other majors, up until a few years ago, they were well behind in pay, benefits, work rules and had no retirement. Some feel as if they have forced everyone else to come down to their level in order to compete. Life at LUV seems pretty good but, it could be much better. This profession pays significantly less than it has in the past. The bashing is not only justified but, it is a healthy debate and we as pilots need to fight for the betterment of the profession.

It has nothing to do with the employees, I think they are great people and are very lucky. The problem is the companies approach to business is absolute cost minimalism...Do not confuse this with profit maximization. In other words SWA analyzes routes for maximum capacity increase on a slim margin. It may be the best in terms of airlines but that's because of such controlled costs. This is called the Southwest effect. If an airline is charging 20 cents a mile, SWA will go into an area and charge 12 cents a mile.

The problem with this approach is that the model assumes exponential growth if you do not raise fares. Simply put SWA will have to raise fares considerably to remain profitable as other airlines match SW prices. This is why SWA load factors have remained consistent over the years. If SW is allowed to grow untamed this is a good thing for pilots, as they pay the best salaries now. However, such growth is physically impossible, which is why, I have said SW will be bankrupt by 2009 if it continues on its current course. They would need over 1000 737's by 2009 to avoid it. They could raise fares and risk the capacity drop if other airlines do not match. Fuel going up in price would also help SW.

It's nice to share a van with such happy crews, but it gets annoying when every time they sign on they ask for shortcuts. Just change your call sign to AnyShortcuts###.

They taxi toooooo fast. I almost got hit by them several years ago! Road on their jumpseat one time from Hobby to MSY and Captain flew through a thunderstorm during cruise flight instead of around it, and I mean a THUNDERSTORM. We were hailed on and moderate to severe turbulence. He turns to me and says, and I quote, "What do they expect for $49.00"! Sat in the back on a flight into El Paso, landed during a dust storm, unbelievable turb. Captain gets on PA after landing and informs us the winds were gusting to 60 knots. 60 Knots? Was he crazy! I've deviated around huge cells and have watched them fly straight through them. I hope some of this type of flying has disappeared there but I fly with copilots that have spouses who fly for Southwest and they say that unfortunately a lot of guys haven't changed their way of thinking, on time seems to be the only thing that matters.

Latest resources

Back