• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JoeMerchant

ASA pilot
Pilots urge other Northwest unions to take cuts

Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS - In an effort to preserve jobs and save Northwest Airlines from potential bankruptcy, the head of the pilots union is urging other unions to accept cuts.

Last November, Northwest's pilots accepted a 15 percent pay cut, becoming the first of the airline's major labor groups to ratify a contract that reflects the company's financial situation.

Northwest airline lost $458 million during the first quarter and is attempting to reduce its annual labor costs by $1.1 billion.

"The time has come for all union leaders to move beyond denial and anger and act responsibly for the good of their members," said Mark McClain, chairman of the Northwest branch of the Air Line Pilots Association.

The pilots' new contract saves the Eagan-based airline $265 million a year, and Northwest has reduced the compensation of its salaried employees by $35 million a year.

"Northwest, just like the other major carriers, cannot avoid bankruptcy if it continues to lose money at the current rate. It's that simple," McClain said in a memo to Northwest pilots.

A Northwest spokesman declined Wednesday to comment on the pilots' memo. Andrea Fischer Newman, Northwest's senior vice president of government affairs, did not speculate on the potential for a bankruptcy filing.

By doing this, you are just avoiding the inevitable.

Start socking your money away boys and girls.

capt. megadeth said:
By doing this, you are just avoiding the inevitable.

Start socking your money away boys and girls.

Whats the inevitable? Going out of business?

Of all people you should show some empathy. Just like you received when your airline went under. Now that you are in the pool at UPS your acting like an arrogant biatch.

I know you have a beef with SWA, but why NWA? Or is it all PAX carriers all together. We are all in this together. Whether its freight or PAX. We are one profession.

Pilots urge other Northwest unions to take cuts

Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS - In an effort to preserve jobs and save Northwest Airlines from potential bankruptcy, the head of the pilots union is urging other unions to accept cuts and consider whether they really need to live in their own homes.

Last November, Northwest's pilots accepted a 15 percent pay cut, becoming the first of the airline's major labor groups to ratify a contract that reflects the company's financial situation.

Northwest airline lost $458 million during the first quarter and is attempting to reduce its annual labor costs by $1.1 billion initially. Further cuts, concessions and pay for training in the DC-9 may be required to meet management objectives.

"The time has come for all union leaders to move beyond denial and anger and act responsibly for the good of their senior members on ALPA leave. Your wife's parents have a spare bedroom, use it..." said Mark McClain, chairman of the Northwest branch of the Air Line Pilots Association. Duane Woerth, President of the Airline Pilots Association, added that Regional Jets are responsible for the down turn in Northwests profitability.

The pilots' new contract saves the Eagan-based airline $265 million a year, and Northwest has reduced the compensation of its salaried employees by $35 million a year. Management has earned bonuses of 258 million, based on the cost savings, according to sources at the "Envision a new Paradigm" awards banquet at the Detroit Hilton.

"Northwest, just like the other major carriers, cannot avoid bankruptcy if it continues to lose money at the current rate. It's that simple," McClain said in a memo to Northwest pilots. "That is why managers must take as much money as they can from the Company now."

A Northwest spokesman declined Wednesday to comment on the pilots' memo. Andrea Fischer Newman, Northwest's Senior Vice President of Government Affairs, located in the Manolo Blanik shoe section of Nieman Marcus, did not speculate on the potential for a bankruptcy filing. Andrea Fischer Newman, Northwest's Senior Vice President of Government Affairs, was able to confirm that she save Northwest at least $125 on her expense account because her Manolo's were bought at a 20% discount because it was Wednesday and Nieman Marcus has a sale on Wednesdays and sometimes on Thursdays and Saturdays.

Northwest stock is trading up 2% on the news to $5.00, off its previous high of $38.26.

Last edited:
TAZ MAN said:
Whats the inevitable? Going out of business?

Of all people you should show some empathy. Just like you received when your airline went under. Now that you are in the pool at UPS your acting like an arrogant biatch.

I know you have a beef with SWA, but why NWA? Or is it all PAX carriers all together. We are all in this together. Whether its freight or PAX. We are one profession.

Chill out dude. No, that's not what I was talking about.
Pilots (or whatever work group) take pay cuts to "save" company. The vicious cycle of $hitty management who are not held accountable for anything continues. Work groups are asked to take more pay cuts. That's the inevitable! No matter what you do, they will take and blackmail you for more. Instead of fixing the problems, they will just take more from the labor groups BECAUSE THEY KNOW THEY HAVE YOU BETWEEN A ROCK AND A HARDPLACE.

Has your blood pressure come down now Taz? Chill out....I am on your side.

For the record, the only thing I have a beef with is arrogant and incompetent management that gets rich off other's back. K?

And YES I have a big beef with SWA and ATA.

~~~^~~~ said:
Management has earned bonuses of 258 million,

Someone tell me that management didn't give themselves 258 million in bonuses after getting nearly that much in paycuts??

capt. megadeth said:
Chill out dude. No, that's not what I was talking about.
Pilots (or whatever work group) take pay cuts to "save" company. The vicious cycle of $hitty management who are not held accountable for anything continues. Work groups are asked to take more pay cuts. That's the inevitable! No matter what you do, they will take and blackmail you for more. Instead of fixing the problems, they will just take more from the labor groups BECAUSE THEY KNOW THEY HAVE YOU BETWEEN A ROCK AND A HARDPLACE.

Has your blood pressure come down now Taz? Chill out....I am on your side.

For the record, the only thing I have a beef with is arrogant and incompetent management that gets rich off other's back. K?

And YES I have a big beef with SWA and ATA.

try decaf there MZ....

what's your beef with ATA? they are an HONESTLY different airline...

capt. megadeth said:
And YES I have a big beef

I have a big beef also.;)

mega,
what is your beef with ATA and SWA?
ATA because your little saab job got swiped from you?
SWA because they are the single most sucessful airline EVER?
Just curious, thanx.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back