Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CelticCitation

Larry Wannabe
Who of the reported 1500 applicants are getting e-mails for interviews? I've read all the ideas about who everyone thinks is getting called, but who really is? Military? Regional? Taco Bell night managers?

Dude, Don't worry about it, when the retirement age is raised to 65 NO ONE will be getting called to Delta....and if I were hired there over the last year....I'd be looking for something else as back-up...But look at the bright side...maybe one of those old guys will buy you a dinner before you are kicked out on the street.....using his senior citizen discount of course......that's certainly not discriminatory.

I haven't applied. But I don't think there are that many old dudes left at Delta, what with the pension issues and early retirements. My interest is for other reasons.

Dude, Don't worry about it, when the retirement age is raised to 65 NO ONE will be getting called to Delta....and if I were hired there over the last year....I'd be looking for something else as back-up...But look at the bright side...maybe one of those old guys will buy you a dinner before you are kicked out on the street.....using his senior citizen discount of course......that's certainly not discriminatory.

Actually, we really don't have that problem. We weren't going to hire for loss of pilots, but rather expansion. We early retired 2300 pilots in the last 3 years due to the pension problems(we have 300 oilder than 55, and 1000 total over 50), and we have also parked all of our older planes (737-200s etc). We are getting new airplanes, and using our exisiting planes on more INTL routes, requiring more pilots. We just made a deal with Boeing to get 10 737-700s and 5 more 777s, and we are getting 15-19 ex TWA 757-200ERs starting in July of this year (2 a month). Rumors are also out there that we will order many 787s and more 737-700s upon exit of BK.

Junior pilots will get the MD88 or 738 first, but have a chance at bigger relatively soon. I hear our LA 757/767 base is very junior, and the NY 767ER INTL flying has gone junior too. Your pick.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Uh....sure...And when you all become USAIR errr America West....or whoever...how is that going to work?

actually if age 65 becomes reality, Delta is the place you want to be. Our movement short term will be from growth. As many have pointed out, we don't have many pilots over the age of 55. Some place like CO may shut down hiring for a few years if age 65 comes to pass. And at Fedex/UPS which still has over 60 FEs, you may well move backward as those guys bid back to the left seat.

Uh....sure...And when you all become USAIR errr America West....or whoever...how is that going to work?

Very Very Unlikely. Really. But, with NWA (which actually could pass the DOJ scrutiny), it could be really good, with little or zero plane parkings. (and plenty of new planes coming)

Poor, poor El pobre.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Yeah, if Age 65 does happen, movement at Fedex and UPS will actually go backwards, since there are plenty of over age 60 guys on the FE panel. If they kept their seniority, they will bid BACK to Captain, and FOs would move back to FE probably. Ouch. No FE slots at DL.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Yeah, if Age 65 does happen, movement at Fedex and UPS will actually go backwards, since there are plenty of over age 60 guys on the FE panel. If they kept their seniority, they will bid BACK to Captain, and FOs would move back to FE probably. Ouch. No FE slots at DL.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Does that happen at Delta? If there are say 10 Capt openings, and thirty senior guys bid for them does it push out 20 jr guys to accommodate?

Does that happen at Delta? If there are say 10 Capt openings, and thirty senior guys bid for them does it push out 20 jr guys to accommodate?

untested territory at any airline. But, I would bet over 60 FEs will sue, arguing that they were forced to the panel by a now outdated law.

Latest resources

Back