• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who's Flying Your Airplane? NO OUTSOURCING

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hmm, I started getting my private in 1991 and was hired by Northwest in 1996.

That's called being very, very lucky. The early to mid-90's was a really bad time to be looking for a flying job. In my case, in 1991 I was a freight dog hauling checks with a coupla thousand hours; in 1993 when I got my first commuter 1900 gig I had almost 5,000 hrs. Hired at CO in 1997. It wasn't as easy-breezy as you make it sound.

But, regarding Joe, all I hear there is blah blah blah, me me me... yawn.

That's called being very, very lucky. The early to mid-90's was a really bad time to be looking for a flying job. In my case, in 1991 I was a freight dog hauling checks with a coupla thousand hours; in 1993 when I got my first commuter 1900 gig I had almost 5,000 hrs. Hired at CO in 1997. It wasn't as easy-breezy as you make it sound.

But, regarding Joe, all I hear there is blah blah blah, me me me... yawn.

You forget Joe's favorite chorus; ME, ME, ME, ME....'what a pathetic loser i am'

Our business model depends on major airlines, including Delta and United, electing to contract​

with us instead of operating their own regional jets. Some major airlines, including Delta, American
and Alaska Airlines, own their own regional airlines or operate their own regional jets instead of
entering into contracts with regional carriers. We have no guarantee that in the future our code-share
partners will choose to enter into contracts with us instead of operating their own regional jets. Our
partners are not prohibited from doing so under our code-share agreements. A decision by Delta or
United to phase out code-share relationships and instead acquire and operate their own regional jets
could have a material adverse effect on our financial condition, results of operations or the price of our
common stock.

Again, taken from 2009 skywest annual report....

For regional guys, this would have me thinking twice about, "job security".

For regional guys, this would have me thinking twice about, "job security".

Job security is an issue through the whole regional list, and the bottom third of any major's list. That is the industry, you never know which way the the whipsaw turns... that is why we try to get to the top of a major's list, better job security. If you stay at a regional, you take your chances as a subcontractor, if you go to a major, your first bunch of years are at risk as well...

Yogi

CAL Blastmail:

"138 Pilots On The Street Nov 29, 2010

350 pilots in Newark. 300 pilots in Houston. How many will be in Chicago on Wednesday at the United World Headquarters building as we take our message directly to management’s front door?
Our profession and our contract are under attack. Outsourced 70 seat jets, out of CAL hubs, flying CAL routes, with the CAL code are on CAL’s schedule right now for flights beginning in January.
This is not just an attack on our contract, but an effort by management to leverage a similar position at the bargaining table in the current JCBA negotiations. When asked what a United pilot thought about the scope relief that was taken in bankruptcy at United, he replied, “The lack of scope allowed outsourcing with 70 seat RJ’s which lead to the parking of the entire 737 fleet, causing the furlough of 1437 pilots. Any more questions?” That pretty much sums it up.
Our response to management on this issue must be clear, united, and resolved. Show up on Wednesday in Chicago, and be a part of sending our message to management: Outsourcing jobs to the lowest bidder stops here and now".

70 seat airplanes are only in the equation because the UAL pilots were desperately trying to save their A plan. Scope was looted by mgt in bk. That time has passed and it's time to re-instate scope to a 50 seat limit and get mainline pilots back to work.

Flop, may I just add: and get regional pilots better jobs.:beer:

I'm not without sympathy for the regional pilots. But getting them an improved situation needs to be second to an improvement for mainline this time around.

doh: Earlier you used the word "plight" to describe Joe's endeavors. I think that was a poor choice of words. If his is a "plight", what word would you use to describe the reality for a longtime furlough from a mainline carrier? Regionals have only improved so much because things have gone so horribly for majors. Joe's battlecry is that the big egos at mainline carriers were too arrogant to fly small planes and that "it's [his] job now". That's not what is going on around the CAL 70 seat issue whatsoever. It wasn't arrogance and it's not something that has already passed. Hard work and sacrafice is what resulted in the CAL scope clause remaining strong. Mgt is blatanly trying to steal it and most of the regional pilots are cheering them on. I cannot believe that we have near zero support from regional pilots on the current issue who are supposedly union "brothers". But at the same time, mainline pilots must constantly be reminded to support regionals. Just like you just did to me.

Last edited:
Flop, no such reminder intended. I was merely stating a much overlooked fact. To wit, mainline pilots negotiating flying back to mainline is a defacto benefit to regional pilots. If it was a reminder at all, it was a reminder to regional pilots. So whether you intend to support them or not, you are. Carry on in the effort.

Latest resources

Back