• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who'll be the first to furlough again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is that a for sure thing in Aug?...or just planning.

The law congress passed after the Buffalo crash required the new rules to be published by August. The FAA seems to be doing their best to screw that particular pooch.

I would imagine some type of phase in period but definitely by 2012, the rules will be binding on 121 carriers. I would also expect 135 to get theirs shortly after that.

Last edited:
You are correct according to this article. Sounds like GK MIGHT be a bit worried about Airtran's lack of hedging. Could he be a bit dramatic to help his cause? Maybe. Maybe that Senator should ask GK about Guadalupe Holdings or whatever....

No GL, that's simply GK posturing in public. Now, when he says something like "massive growth" post merger, THEN he really means it. LOL....

G-Lee
You're late to the party. We've been hammering that thread out for over a weak. Time to put down the pork rinds and Yoo-Hoo.

:D

The law congress passed after the Buffalo crash required the new rules to be published by August. The FAA seems to be doing their best to screw that particular pooch

Why does everyone jump to blame the FAA? Go research our nation's process for issuing rules and laws. It takes time and due process. No one wants a government to be able to just bestow a rule upon us, but then everyone complains when it goes through the process.

During the comment period, EVERY comment must be adjudicated by the FAA. After that, OMB gets it for as long as it takes them to do the economic analysis. Then off to DoT OSC for legal.

Many of the FAA Inspectors working on this rule are retired airline and military pilots who know it's an issue. Believe me, they're trying to get this through as quickly as possible. The system is holding it up, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It considers all of our interests.

~AD

Why does everyone jump to blame the FAA? Go research our nation's process for issuing rules and laws. It takes time and due process. No one wants a government to be able to just bestow a rule upon us, but then everyone complains when it goes through the process.

During the comment period, EVERY comment must be adjudicated by the FAA. After that, OMB gets it for as long as it takes them to do the economic analysis. Then off to DoT OSC for legal.

Many of the FAA Inspectors working on this rule are retired airline and military pilots who know it's an issue. Believe me, they're trying to get this through as quickly as possible. The system is holding it up, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It considers all of our interests.

~AD

Funny...the age 60 rule change didn't take nearly this long.

Originally Posted by contrail67
Is that a for sure thing in Aug?...or just planning.

The law congress passed after the Buffalo crash required the new rules to be published by August. The FAA seems to be doing their best to screw that particular pooch.

I would imagine some type of phase in period but definitely by 2012, the rules will be binding on 121 carriers. I would also expect 135 to get theirs shortly after that.
Congress passed a law requiring the rules to be IN EFFECT prior to 1 Aug. I read a poster that said Jun....other than that one post I have heard nothing about when the rules take effect....I am guessing 31 Jul.

Funny...the age 60 rule change didn't take nearly this long.
That's because CONGRESS changed the Age 65 rule. It was simple: Change 60-->65.

In the case of these Flight/Duty/Rest rules, it is quite complicated, which is why Congress gave the FAA the authority to come up with the specifics. BUT, they were fed up with the FAA's stalling (surprised!), and so gave them the 1 Aug date.

Many aviation groups asked the FAA to prolong the comment period and/or delay the process, and the FAA said NO! to all requests of that nature.

cliff
ANC

So what happens if the FAA does not issue the rules in time? Do they get a time out?

What are you talking about? Pilots had been working to change the Age 60 rules for decades, only to be told if ALPA didn't support it, then neither would Congress. In fact, it wasn't until a cabal of junior pilots began to take over ALPA in the 1980's that their opposition to changing the rule started.

Finally the rule was changed and look, the world didn't come to an end and jets didn't begin falling from the skies at the hands of geriatric pilots.

If pilots stopped constantly defending the indefensible perhaps they would have the credibility to influence the really important things that matter.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back