• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
yeah good one,

age 65 = overnight

new rest rules = 1 to 2 years

To refine your point further:

age 65= good for airline management

new rest rules= bad for airline management.

TC

P.S.--AA may not furlough but if you have both a good job and a recall notice, I'd think very carefully before making the decision to return to AA.

What are you talking about? Pilots had been working to change the Age 60 rules for decades, only to be told if ALPA didn't support it, then neither would Congress. In fact, it wasn't until a cabal of junior pilots began to take over ALPA in the 1980's that their opposition to changing the rule started.

Finally the rule was changed and look, the world didn't come to an end and jets didn't begin falling from the skies at the hands of geriatric pilots.

If pilots stopped constantly defending the indefensible perhaps they would have the credibility to influence the really important things that matter.

Yeah, just so happens those "young guys" in the 80's were not going to be so "young" when the rule changed 25ish years later. I wonder what their opinion would have been back then if the rule were changed overnight in say 1985.

Baby Boomer Greed, they got to move up off the pilots prior to them retiring at 60 but when it came to their turn, "O no, not us".

Slam dunk!

baby boomer greed, they got to move up off the pilots prior to them retiring at 60 but when it came to their turn, "o no, not us".

Age 65 good for airline management? This I gotta hear.

Hint-The Age 60 rule was management's brainchild which pilots had opposed for many years.

Changing non-safety related rules to reflect the reality of increased longevity is good for everyone, especially those pilots who want to be taken seriously when it IS a safety related issue.

Age 65 good for airline management? This I gotta hear.

Hint-The Age 60 rule was management's brainchild which pilots had opposed for many years.

Changing non-safety related rules to reflect the reality of increased longevity is good for everyone, especially those pilots who want to be taken seriously when it IS a safety related issue.

As was said earlier...you were young in the 80's forced to retire at age 60 and you get to go to 65 now. You moved up becuase guys retired. I can't wait til your azz gets out of my seat.

SICK AND TIRED OF OVER 60 FOOLS

As was said earlier...you were young in the 80's forced to retire at age 60 and you get to go to 65 now. You moved up becuase guys retired. I can't wait til your azz gets out of my seat.

It will be at least age 67 if not 70 before there is any movement for you. Better make yourself comfy and get used to the view from the right.

Oh yeah, GEAR UP PUNK.

I thought you were also tired of those in their 30s and stuck at the regionals? Do you hate your neighbors too?

Here we go again......

As during 2008 oil spike, United plans deepest reductions

By Julie Johnsson, Tribune Reporter

8:06 PM CST, March 10, 2011

As airlines push airfares higher to counteract surging oil prices, they also are dusting off the flight plans they crafted to navigate 2008's fuel spike, when crude peaked at $147 per barrel.

United, Delta and American airlines are raising fuel surcharges on overseas flights to levels not seen since 2008 and are laying plans to ground fuel-guzzling aircraft and prune seat capacity, with the deepest cuts coming after the peak summer travel season.

Carriers realize they can't hike fees and fares indefinitely without alienating consumers. So they're looking at ways to curb fuel costs and trim unprofitable flights as oil hits the stratosphere. As in 2008, Chicago-based United is charting the deepest cuts among its peers.

While United intends to hold capacity flat for 2011, the world's largest carrier is planning to reduce its domestic flying by 5 percent during the fourth quarter, United told employees this week. Regional subcontractors will bear half of those cuts.

Well, that won't be you getting taken seriously. On any issue. I promise you that. There isn't any entity that would be involved in an air safety discussion that would involve your opinion having seen how the age change has played out. You are unethical. And those who share your opinion on how the retirement age change should have taken place are unethical.

You have a real problem with acknowledging the reality of the change.

Seriously folks. With mergers and a continued bad economy it's time to revisit the idea that maybe the rule change needed some caveats. The legislation was called "fair treatment for experienced pilots". It has become "unfair treatment of every pilot not between the age of 60 and 65"! If ALPA's goal was to create age discrimination they couldn't have had it written more perfectly...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back