• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who would leave for a corp job..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Guys reading all of the above just remember airlines are in business to fly A/C corporations are not.

Since FA bumped the thread...

I left AWAC five months ago after two years for a part 91 gig flying a Citation that's older than I am.

I immediately got a type rating and my ATP, and my compensation increased to equal or better than what I would have made if I had stayed and upgraded at Wisconsin. Most importantly, I gained immeasurable QOL from moving to the exact location my wife and I wanted to live in, with a nearly 40% reduction in cost of living from DC Metro. My monthly RONs were cut by at least 2/3, and when we do RON its a HGI or Courtyard at the minimum. All expenses on the road go on the company credit card without overzealous expense oversight.

Most trips are day turns and I'm home in time for dinner. I'm on first-name basis with everyone in the company, and the boss actually seems to give a damn about his employees and their personal well-being. I was with the company just 2 weeks and received both a Christmas bonus AND the company-wide "Christmas gift" of a flat-screen HDTV.

Could my job go away tomorrow? Sure it could, but so could the job of the #1 captain at any airline, given what has transpired the last two weeks. With my company's business model and need for extensive regional travel, I think the odds of my department closing, even with $115/bbl oil, are even less than AA or UAL going Tango Uniform.

I can't worry about the things I cannot control. I have a little control in our direct operating cost between flight planning and contract fuel, but that's it. I can't control what the boss does or doesn't do...just like an airline pilot can't control what a hedge fund or their upper management will do.

The 91/135 lifestyle isn't for everybody, nor is the 121 lifestyle for everybody. Having seen both first hand, I doubt I'll be returning to the airlines for a LONG time...but never say never.

I'd bail out of my CRJ Captain seat for a corporate gig if the new job met the following criteria:

1. Equal or better pay
2. Paid medical/dental for me and my family
3. Flight department must be an integral part of the business and not just a toy for the owner. I don't want the a/c getting sold if business takes a down turn.
4. Scheduled work days and scheduled hard days, in other words multiple crews.
5. The owner/operator pays all training costs/type ratings etc.
6. Some sort of reasonable 401K, bonus, and/or profit sharing plan.

I could care less what kind of a/c. Bonanza to Global Express. If it meets the above criteria I'd seriously consider making a move. Doing some international flying would be a nice change of pace. I wouldn't really care if I was gone a lot as long as I could count on my scheduled days off to be mine.

If the job you are considering meets these requirements and you decide to pass, feel free to PM me with the info. ;)

Here goes...NETJETS....if you look at each item on your list you can say yes to every one at NJ..seriously

How bout the plusses!!!!

My private FD has 4 total pilots, 3 of which are former Legacy pilots, none of us look back and the worst part of our job is DEADHEADING on the airlines......

Our stats:
DO 18 years US .........QUIT 2004
#2 17 years US..........QUIT 2004
#3(ME) 9 Years UAL.........QUIT 2004

But I digress,
The plusses of Corporate!!

1. Pick our own hotels! (Marriott or Hilton)
2. Rent a cars! no crew bus that is overcrowded..or does not even show up.....
3. AVTRIP Points!
4. Hotel Points!
5. Choice of FS or CAE training sites!
6. TREATED AS A CUSTOMER AT FBO'S!!
7. Varied flying...Austin Tx to Zanzibar Tanzania....
8. No ground stops, go directly ahead of the line of ground stopped airliners to launch!
8. Usually no conga lines at destination, we avoid the airline airports purposely..
9. Cleared direct because we are at FL430!....
10. Free Wine Napa!!
11. WE'RE IN NAPA!!!!(usually for days...."hick"....."burp"...)
12. Naples Fla in January!!!!
13. Nassau in January!!
14. Days off at destinations, not min time behind the door.
15. Slacks and Polo's!! NO LIDS allowed...no Ties..
16. Passenger appreciation..

Continue the list please...

I hope it lasts...but if it doesn't, this has beaten all the time I spent at UAL...

PV

You know for a Caveman you're a smart man. j/k But seriously that was a very good post. I've done the "corporate" side with a single owner and that job lasted no more than 2 years, and then did the "corporate" side of things with the "some 135" Yeah right, you mean all 135. I'll never understand why people by jets when they cant even afford them. If it's not the real corporate job Example, flying for Bank Of America, McDonnalds, Starbucks, Geico etc then stay put.

I totally disagree I fly a single owner all 135 pleasure flying and my life couldnt be better. Corporate is hit or miss and depends on the owner/corporation. However i think the best airline job doesnt even come close to the best corporate job. Oh and with all these terrible 135 trips Ive managed 14 hours and 9 days of work this YEAR.

There are far more bad corporate jobs than good ones, so keep that in mind. Fracs are another story. The top 3-4 are excellent.

And dont forget the 'Atlantic' points! I make an extra $100.00 a week on those!

"I think I'll quit my airline job and go corporate..."

Wish it were that easy. Without a rock-solid internal connection, an airline guy has a near-zero chance of ever breaking into that world.

The most valuable skill you will ever develop in your flying career - networking.

I'd do it in a heart beat. Almost did...just couldn't make it work with the family(maybe after the wife is done with school).

Latest resources

Back