Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Geez, tell us how you REALLY feel!

FurloughedAgain said:
  1. No more hats (yes, I wore mine like I was told)
  2. No more ties
  3. No more dragging my rollaboard around with a 50 lb flight-kit attached
  4. No more dragging said rollaboard through ice/snow in the employee lot
  5. No more employee lot busses lacking air-conditioning, heat, and shocks
  6. No more waiting at employee lot bus-stops
  7. No more entering security codes at every &%@$# door in the building
  8. No more TSA telling me to take off my shoes
  9. No more TSA inspecting my flashlight for the 40th time
  10. No more TSA telling me to remove my hat
  11. No more TSA leaning in to smell my breath
  12. No more TSA
  13. No more gate agents taking their good ol' time printing the release
  14. No more waiting for gate agents to give you access to your airplane
  15. No more waiting for jetway drivers
  16. No more calling ops to ask for said jetway driver & being told, "shift change"
  17. No more flight attendants calling up front because it's too hot, cold, bumpy
  18. No more flight attendants sitting in first class instead of providing customer service
  19. No more flight attendants whining about not getting crew meals
  20. No more flight attendants whining when they DO get crew meals
  21. No more APU's deferred with no ground air carts available
  22. No more waiting for the hotel van
  23. No more roadside fleabag hotels
  24. No more :40 van rides to the long-overnight hotel so the F/As can shop
  25. No more apologies for being away on weekends, holidays, special occasions
  26. No more watching flying be outsourced to the lowest bidder
  27. No more watching ALPA spend dues on "strongly worded letters"
  28. No more ALPA (thats the best part!)
  29. No more delapidated "crew rooms"
  30. No more junior manning or extensions
  31. No more pagers
  32. No more calls from scheduling at 2am to transition you from regular reserve to short-call
  33. No more quick-calls to go to Akron and back
  34. No more racing through the terminal and grabbing a McValue Meal during a 15 minute break
  35. No more equipment changes every time you fly through the hub
  36. No more nastygrams from the company whenever you're in negotiations
  37. No more feeling ashamed at the lack of customer service the company provides.
  38. No more apologizing for weather, aircraft size, ATC delays, mechanical delays, etc.
  39. No more groundschools in converted hangars or old elementary schools.
  40. and finally... no more turning on CNN every night and wondering whether the airline is still in business.

I wish I could've thought up another 10 so I could've made it an even 50. I'm sure if I sat down and thought about it....

I'll be happy to sit around knowing my paycheck is not based on hours worked. If you give me a paycheck thats the same wether i work or sit, i won't complain. $1.60 an hour to sit around...they can take it and shove it. its nice to be able to leave the airport while sitting to grab something to eat thats not terminal food. I guess im biased. ive done both and like the part 91 stuff a lot better. sorry.

I've done both myself, and corporate is soooo much better. I'm home almost every night, am treated well on the road, make more money, work less than half as much, and don't have to deal with TSA or ALPA. I love it!! My golf handicap is back down to a 5 again! I'll be tournament ready in another few months of practice.

I turned down a corproate job earlier this year, the timing wasn't right for me.

pros:
fairly new mid-size bizjet with the latest toys
$70,000-plus to be the F/O
typed immediately
average work schedule 8 days a month
no pop-up trips

cons:
no outside flying
owner's wife is a nervous flier and wants the captain to fly the airplane when she's on board. (she's on board 98% of the time)
they cancel if there's weather or if it's dark

although I would've loved the pay and the QOL, I wasn't ready to just sit there and swing the gear. I would've taken it if I could fly for others on my days off, but they were dead-set against that. i think they found a retired airline guy to fly it instead...

I'd bail out of my CRJ Captain seat for a corporate gig if the new job met the following criteria:

1. Equal or better pay
2. Paid medical/dental for me and my family
3. Flight department must be an integral part of the business and not just a toy for the owner. I don't want the a/c getting sold if business takes a down turn.
4. Scheduled work days and scheduled hard days, in other words multiple crews.
5. The owner/operator pays all training costs/type ratings etc.
6. Some sort of reasonable 401K, bonus, and/or profit sharing plan.

I could care less what kind of a/c. Bonanza to Global Express. If it meets the above criteria I'd seriously consider making a move. Doing some international flying would be a nice change of pace. I wouldn't really care if I was gone a lot as long as I could count on my scheduled days off to be mine.

If the job you are considering meets these requirements and you decide to pass, feel free to PM me with the info. ;)

You know for a Caveman you're a smart man. j/k But seriously that was a very good post. I've done the "corporate" side with a single owner and that job lasted no more than 2 years, and then did the "corporate" side of things with the "some 135" Yeah right, you mean all 135. I'll never understand why people by jets when they cant even afford them. If it's not the real corporate job Example, flying for Bank Of America, McDonnalds, Starbucks, Geico etc then stay put.

Latest resources

Back