Who would leave for a corp job..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wahoo250

This may be on the table for me. very good company high pay. I do enjoy where im at but the offer is with a good company. how many would leave. i know not a lot of info but dont really want to give too much. this is directed to captains at the regionals. pay about 20k more than most capt pay to start.

Last edited:
I'd bail out of my CRJ Captain seat for a corporate gig if the new job met the following criteria:

1. Equal or better pay
2. Paid medical/dental for me and my family
3. Flight department must be an integral part of the business and not just a toy for the owner. I don't want the a/c getting sold if business takes a down turn.
4. Scheduled work days and scheduled hard days, in other words multiple crews.
5. The owner/operator pays all training costs/type ratings etc.
6. Some sort of reasonable 401K, bonus, and/or profit sharing plan.

I could care less what kind of a/c. Bonanza to Global Express. If it meets the above criteria I'd seriously consider making a move. Doing some international flying would be a nice change of pace. I wouldn't really care if I was gone a lot as long as I could count on my scheduled days off to be mine.

If the job you are considering meets these requirements and you decide to pass, feel free to PM me with the info. ;)

Cave,

Wouldn't we all love a job like that! If you find that dream job, let me know once you're in the door!

Wahoo,

I bailed from the regionals as a Captain to do something outside of aviation. It didn't work out like I expected and now I'm flying for a frac. Pay isn't what I was making a year ago but my QOL is much better now and I have NO regrets about bailing from the airlines. It was a huge weight off my shoulders to get out of the airlines. My suggestion to you is objectively weigh the pros and cons of leaving where you're at for the new gig - leave any emotion out of it. If it looks like a better move to bail from the regionals then do it. Good luck in whatever you decide!

C425Driver

I believe I'd have to agree with Caveman.

I would even consider a job that resulted in a cut in pay. Although I would have to consider how many nights away from home per month would be required. That is the primary reason I would give up my current job, too many nights away from family. Too many missed ball games, too many missed programs, too many missed everything.

to be totally honest it meets all the criteria in the first reply. i wont know my schedule a month in advance but 2 weeks before isnt that bad. pay...cant beat it. im at a stable company right now but to be honest, this company has had a flight department langer than the airline im working at. 2 crews per plane. its hard to leave a good schedule though. thanks for the imput i apreciate it.

I did it.

1. Pay was equal to start, but would increase at a faster rate (increase if you consider relocation and profit sharing)
2. Paid medical/dental
3. Flight department is an integral part of the business. No recreational flying.
4. Scheduled work days and scheduled hard days. Firm schedule of days off (rotation)
5. Type rating and FSI recurrent every six months
6. 401K and profit sharing

Best decision I ever made.

wahoo250 said:
This may be on the table for me. very good company high pay. I do enjoy where im at but the offer is with a good company. how many would leave. i know not a lot of info but dont really want to give too much. this is directed to captains at the regionals. pay about 20k more than most to start.
I've seen really good corporate jobs, and really bad corporate jobs. Having done it before, I would definitely research and make sure that there will be plenty of HARD days off. I have no objection to slinging a bag every now and then or minor cleaning of the plane as long as the job pays well. Detailing airplanes, cleaning and maintaining the hangar, etc is not something that I wish to do in the future though. There's nothing better than having to come to the hangar on your day off to fix something that is broken. Stuff like that seems minor at first, but over time it can really begin to wear on you. Try to find out how the attrition is at this flight department..if there are numerous guys/girls that have been there for many years, then that says a lot. If they are hiring replacements every year or two, then there must be a reason for it. Best of luck, hope it all works out for you.

Just gotta ask...

What is the big beef with working for an airline. I've worked for the airlines for almost six years now, and while it's not "perfect", it sure beats the hell out of a real job. For the record, I've been to two airlines, been furloughed, and been on first year pay twice. Has anyone here ever worked a real job?? Ever had to report to a boss every day..a la Lumberg, and had to "produce" or get fired. Ever had to work 80 hrs a week (and don't count that "i'm on duty while on a trip.) If I'm crazy...then...whatever, hopefully i can fool my AME, but seriously, it's not brain surgery...

Is it really that bad out there for you's guys?

"the grass is always greener, where the dogs are $hitting"....Soundgarden

Mookie

Mookie said:
Just gotta ask...

What is the big beef with working for an airline. I've worked for the airlines for almost six years now, and while it's not "perfect", it sure beats the hell out of a real job. For the record, I've been to two airlines, been furloughed, and been on first year pay twice. Has anyone here ever worked a real job?? Ever had to report to a boss every day..a la Lumberg, and had to "produce" or get fired. Ever had to work 80 hrs a week (and don't count that "i'm on duty while on a trip.) If I'm crazy...then...whatever, hopefully i can fool my AME, but seriously, it's not brain surgery...

Is it really that bad out there for you's guys?

Mookie
Agreed. I have noticed that as well. The ones who complain the most are the ones who have never had one of those beloved 9-5 office jobs. I have, and there is no desire in me to go back.

Chris Cornell is now with Audioslave...Originally Soundgarden, I wonder which is greener...By the way going to the concert oct 29......cant wait.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back