• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who would leave for a corp job..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As there are alot of perks with the airlines, I can't fault a guy that is trying to potentially upgrade to a better job. I have several friends that have great corporate jobs and love it. For me personally I think if I can find a good corporate job that will let me sleep in my own bed the majority of the month for a solid company I will consider it. One I know, where my friend is at flies 3 days a week with no office duty. Maybe one or two RON a month with the schedule posted at the beginning of the month with good pay. To me that a good gig. But those types you really need to know someone and be around when they are looking. Which isn't too often.

I dont think anyone is suggesting that a 9-5 job is a more attractive alternative (to each his own though. To be honest, if I could afford to fly recreationally, I think an office job sounds pretty sweet!)

What some people are suggesting, however, is that there are some corporate jobs that are in many ways superior to airline jobs.

Lets be honest with one another. Over the last 30 years -- but especially the last 10 years -- the airline pilot profession has taken a dramatic turn for the worse. From security (TSA), to retirement, to compensation, to labor/management relations, to terrorism threats, to fuel prices, to lousy crew vans, to 100 seat "regional jets"... the profession simply isn't what it once was.

Good corporate jobs eliminate many of those frustrations and uncertainties. So if an airline pilot has reached his or her breaking point, and the profession is no longer appealing to them, but they still love flying... why not explore other avenues in aviation?

That's what I did. I got very, very, lucky. Is this job for everyone? Maybe not. But my lifestyle today is 100% better than it was at ANY of the airlines i've worked for over the last decade.

Now if you would like to have a discussion regarding whether or not being a 1st year reserve F/O at a regional is better than a 9-5 deskjob I think we could have a healthy debate....

Just saw Audioslave last week...unfreaking believeable. Chris sounded great, and the band was awesome. I"m jealouse.

Mookie

Copied from another thread

Copied this from another thread called, "How is the corporate world" over on the other forum:

Thought of a few more things that make me happy:
  1. No more hats (yes, I wore mine like I was told)
  2. No more ties
  3. No more dragging my rollaboard around with a 50 lb flight-kit attached
  4. No more dragging said rollaboard through ice/snow in the employee lot
  5. No more employee lot busses lacking air-conditioning, heat, and shocks
  6. No more waiting at employee lot bus-stops
  7. No more entering security codes at every &%@$# door in the building
  8. No more TSA telling me to take off my shoes
  9. No more TSA inspecting my flashlight for the 40th time
  10. No more TSA telling me to remove my hat
  11. No more TSA leaning in to smell my breath
  12. No more TSA
  13. No more gate agents taking their good ol' time printing the release
  14. No more waiting for gate agents to give you access to your airplane
  15. No more waiting for jetway drivers
  16. No more calling ops to ask for said jetway driver & being told, "shift change"
  17. No more flight attendants calling up front because it's too hot, cold, bumpy
  18. No more flight attendants sitting in first class instead of providing customer service
  19. No more flight attendants whining about not getting crew meals
  20. No more flight attendants whining when they DO get crew meals
  21. No more APU's deferred with no ground air carts available
  22. No more waiting for the hotel van
  23. No more roadside fleabag hotels
  24. No more :40 van rides to the long-overnight hotel so the F/As can shop
  25. No more apologies for being away on weekends, holidays, special occasions
  26. No more watching flying be outsourced to the lowest bidder
  27. No more watching ALPA spend dues on "strongly worded letters"
  28. No more ALPA (thats the best part!)
  29. No more delapidated "crew rooms"
  30. No more junior manning or extensions
  31. No more pagers
  32. No more calls from scheduling at 2am to transition you from regular reserve to short-call
  33. No more quick-calls to go to Akron and back
  34. No more racing through the terminal and grabbing a McValue Meal during a 15 minute break
  35. No more equipment changes every time you fly through the hub
  36. No more nastygrams from the company whenever you're in negotiations
  37. No more feeling ashamed at the lack of customer service the company provides.
  38. No more apologizing for weather, aircraft size, ATC delays, mechanical delays, etc.
  39. No more groundschools in converted hangars or old elementary schools.
  40. and finally... no more turning on CNN every night and wondering whether the airline is still in business.
(ahhh... I feel better now)
Did I miss anything? Feel free to add to this list.

I agree completely - if it's REALLY better, BAIL!

I'm a 5-year CA at Pinnacle and I've been applying to every good Corp job that's come available in Nashville for the last several years.

I only get about 12 nights at home per month, with a GOOD corporate gig you'd hardly ever see 12 overnights, much less anything more.

At a regional, you'll never be PAID to see Europe for 3 or 4 days at a time then go home and have a week off 'cause the boss is tired of flying after that long-ass pond hop.

These are just two of the more OBVIOUS reasons added to what everyone else has said.

Yes, this job is decent. No, I wouldn't trade it for an office job. But quite honestly, if I had a sure-fire way to obtain a 20% or better pay raise, nearly double the number of nights I slept in my own bed, and still had guaranteed days off, I'd RUN and never look back.

Just MAKE SURE that it meets the criteria mentioned earlier of STABILITY - Yum Brands, Coca Cola, and that Insurance group up north probably keep advertising every 4-6 monts FOR A REASON.

Made my mind up, if i get the offer im Going...thanks for the imput. I hate working 14 hour days and getting paid for 5.5...doing it again today what a life.

FurloughedAgain said:
Copied this from another thread called, "How is the corporate world" over on the other forum:

Thought of a few more things that make me happy:
  1. No more hats (yes, I wore mine like I was told)
  2. No more ties
  3. No more dragging my rollaboard around with a 50 lb flight-kit attached
  4. No more dragging said rollaboard through ice/snow in the employee lot
  5. No more employee lot busses lacking air-conditioning, heat, and shocks
  6. No more waiting at employee lot bus-stops
  7. No more entering security codes at every &%@$# door in the building
  8. No more TSA telling me to take off my shoes
  9. No more TSA inspecting my flashlight for the 40th time
  10. No more TSA telling me to remove my hat
  11. No more TSA leaning in to smell my breath
  12. No more TSA
  13. No more gate agents taking their good ol' time printing the release
  14. No more waiting for gate agents to give you access to your airplane
  15. No more waiting for jetway drivers
  16. No more calling ops to ask for said jetway driver & being told, "shift change"
  17. No more flight attendants calling up front because it's too hot, cold, bumpy
  18. No more flight attendants sitting in first class instead of providing customer service
  19. No more flight attendants whining about not getting crew meals
  20. No more flight attendants whining when they DO get crew meals
  21. No more APU's deferred with no ground air carts available
  22. No more waiting for the hotel van
  23. No more roadside fleabag hotels
  24. No more :40 van rides to the long-overnight hotel so the F/As can shop
  25. No more apologies for being away on weekends, holidays, special occasions
  26. No more watching flying be outsourced to the lowest bidder
  27. No more watching ALPA spend dues on "strongly worded letters"
  28. No more ALPA (thats the best part!)
  29. No more delapidated "crew rooms"
  30. No more junior manning or extensions
  31. No more pagers
  32. No more calls from scheduling at 2am to transition you from regular reserve to short-call
  33. No more quick-calls to go to Akron and back
  34. No more racing through the terminal and grabbing a McValue Meal during a 15 minute break
  35. No more equipment changes every time you fly through the hub
  36. No more nastygrams from the company whenever you're in negotiations
  37. No more feeling ashamed at the lack of customer service the company provides.
  38. No more apologizing for weather, aircraft size, ATC delays, mechanical delays, etc.
  39. No more groundschools in converted hangars or old elementary schools.
  40. and finally... no more turning on CNN every night and wondering whether the airline is still in business.
(ahhh... I feel better now)
Did I miss anything? Feel free to add to this list.

FurloughedAgain -

Thanks for reposting that. Wow. What a comprehensive list!

I've been living that same "dream" he's describing. I'll betcha at the same airline, at the same base, and with the same "soft landing" provided for the past few years.

Finding a corporate job that fits your life is tough, though, especially if relocation isn't an option. For now, a short commute, a descent crashpad and a left seat are about the only things I'm smiling about. The rest is aptly described above!

That sounds like a good reason Wahoo, You'll never work a 14 hour day at that corporate gig. You'll never have to sit around in an FBO lobby cause they told you to be ready two hours ago. It really sounds like your making a good decision and I don't know if you've flown corp before but with my experience it tends to be more like reserve that line flying.

Good luck Wahoo! Hope it's everything you wished for and more.

Lance is right about one thing, there's a LOT of sitting around and waiting at FBO's, depending on the company, some more than others.

However, I love to read and sitting around getting paid to read one of my novels or learning a new language from a Berlitz CD sounds like a nice life! :)

Latest resources

Back