• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

9rj9

Northwest, AirTran, Jetblue ???

Delta Exec Sees Value in Consolidation
Wednesday November 7, 5:16 pm ET
By Harry R. Weber, AP Business Writer Delta Executive Says Airline Still Weighing Whether to Buy Another Carrier

ATLANTA (AP) -- Delta Air Lines Inc.'s evaluation of whether it would make sense to purchase another carrier is a "front-burner" issue for the nation's third-largest airline, a senior executive said Wednesday.

" President and Chief Financial Officer Ed Bastian said of consolidation during a New York investor conference that was broadcast on the Internet. "We just need to find the right transaction for the constituency. If we do find it, we'll certainly consider it."
On the flip-side, Delta recognizes that buying another airline could have considerable financial costs and cause friction among employees, Bastian said.
Bastian was noncommittal on how long it would take the Atlanta-based airline to complete the review process, nor what Delta's ultimate decision will be. But, he did say that deciding whether to acquire another carrier is on Delta executives' minds.
"It's a front-burner issue for us," Bastian said.
Bastian said Delta believes the consolidation question should be answered before the airline considers whether to sell or spin off any of its ancillary businesses, such as its growing maintenance, repair and overhaul unit.
"We'll be smart, we'll be knowledgeable about what the opportunities are, but I think we want to answer the consolidation issue first," Bastian said.
The airline has said previously it is considering shedding regional feeder carrier Comair, but it has been mum on any talks it may be having.
On other issues, Bastian said Delta has been pleased with its recent results despite the persistently high cost of fuel. He said that next year, Delta expects growth in its domestic business to be strained, while growth internationally is expected to be strong.
Bastian said Delta would have to re-evaluate its business model for next year, particularly on the domestic side, if oil prices near $100 a barrel persist.
Bastian also said that Delta continues to negotiate creditor claims following the airline's emergence from bankruptcy earlier this year. The airline has roughly 400 million shares outstanding, of which about 110 million continue to be held back pending final resolution of claims, Bastian said.
Earlier Wednesday, Delta said it has formed a partnership projected to generate $1 billion in revenue over 10 years for its maintenance, repair and overhaul unit and the parts manufacturer Chromalloy Gas Turbine Corp.
Delta said the deal with Chromalloy will be a boon for Delta's TechOps division.
Chromalloy will manufacture lower cost alternative parts that Delta can use to repair and overhaul engines, Delta spokeswoman Betsy Talton said. Currently, when Delta repairs an engine it typically gets parts for the repair from the original equipment manufacturer, though it has used non-original manufacturer parts in the past, Talton said.
The partnership is expected to generate $1 billion in revenue that the two companies will share, Talton said.
Delta said the deal will add the CFM56-5 engine type to the list of engines that TechOps services. Delta said that engine type is the engine of choice in Airbus aircraft.
The deal also includes the parts development program and 250 engine overhauls to be performed by Delta TechOps employees over the term of the agreement.
Delta said its maintenance, repair and overhaul unit took in more than $310 million in revenue last year. Besides providing maintenance and engineering support for Delta's fleet, TechOps serves more than 100 aviation and airline customers from around the world. Chromalloy is New York-based Sequa Corp.'s largest business unit.

What about all those "My DELTA" bagtags?

Just a few months ago it was "my DELTA" and "we have more value as a stand alone carrier".

NOW...

Its all consolidation talk again.

Seems like the DL management team were just worried about keeping THEIR jobs I suppose.

Typical greedy lawyer CEOs.

Just a few months ago it was "my DELTA" and "we have more value as a stand alone carrier".

NOW...

Its all consolidation talk again.

Seems like the DL management team were just worried about keeping THEIR jobs I suppose.

Typical greedy lawyer CEOs.

Wait a sec. I believe that was General Lee talk when he didn't want US Air.

Heck ya, they wouldn't have been able to get those shares for all the VPs if they merged before exiting bankruptcy. Those clowns were taking care of themselves.

"Rah rah, keep Delta my Delta until we get paid, then f'em all."

Too bad for the VPs the stock never took off and is near a post bankruptcy low. I'm sure they'll figure out how to get more money out of the employees.

"KEEP MY DELTA MY DELTA (unless you want to also add the Pacific routes from United.....)"

That is my guess. Sounds like Tilton over at UAL wants to sell parts of United since he thinks the parts are worth more than the whole. (Boyd said that too). It might be tougher to sell full airlines due to local politicians getting mad. So, maybe sell parts. I am sure pilots would come along with the planes too.

Just a guess.....?

Bye Bye--General Lee

I don't disagree w/ the General on this one. I think parsing out of United's routes makes a great deal of sense for them and the industry.

I will say that I think the primary thing any acquisition is probably going to address is domestic lift and/or the 100 seat problem (hand in hand w/ dom lift, really).

I would think that JetBlue, even though they are airbus/embraer; could make sense because we need the space at JFK as well. I mean the shuttle could be flown by the airbuses and the 88's shifted around the country to help w/ domestic lift.

And, of course, we sell the embraers.

just a thought

I agree that the UAL thing is a viable option. They seem hell bent on selling off assets. I think that because of certain issues DAL has this is a likely scenario. Of course we will have to wait and see, but DAL wants to blanket the far east and with those Routes they could do it overnight.
NWA and Jet Blue are always in play. DAL needs to fix JFK and to do that they need to level their two terminals. That is not a good business option, so they are looking and plans b, c, and d. Either way the next few years should be interesting.

I hate to say this, but mergers in the immediate past have been an expensive option that usually doesn't pay off in the short term. Look at what happened with the UAL-Usair deal, it cost both companies billions and it got them nothing. The Airtran-Midwest deal cost the companies millions and it didn't happen until a private equity firm stepped in with NWA and that deal still isn't done. I think for the immediate future, if the oil price stays high and demand slips-- the first thing airlines are going to do to decrease capacity is, YES, park airplanes... Which means, you got it, more furloughs!!! Be prepared for a rough ride ahead everybody...

I think Delta will buy Northwest.

Too many coincidents.

Anderson;

Bancruptcy on same day;

DOT head mentioning it a couple of years ago;

Delta entering a maint contract to fix engines it
doesnt fly(nwa does);

and most importantly

a crew base in the northeast so I don't have to
commute to DTW!

Dave B

I don't disagree w/ the General on this one. I think parsing out of United's routes makes a great deal of sense for them and the industry.

I will say that I think the primary thing any acquisition is probably going to address is domestic lift and/or the 100 seat problem (hand in hand w/ dom lift, really).

I would think that JetBlue, even though they are airbus/embraer; could make sense because we need the space at JFK as well. I mean the shuttle could be flown by the airbuses and the 88's shifted around the country to help w/ domestic lift.

And, of course, we sell the embraers.

just a thought
Of course. Sell the 190's. "Of course" implies that you have a great knowledge of the inner plan. Does anyone else agree that the 190's would be the airplane that goes? I don't.

Latest resources

Back