Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who uses their cellphone in the cockpit for company business?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No, but that was not what I said. Going back to the gate repeatedly to communicate instead of using your cell phone will have a negative effect on the company over time if everybody did it.

Unless you are a moron like PFT_128, most of us strive to operate in a manner that has a positive effect on the company and we do our best to get our passengers to their destination on time. PFT_128 is one of the few who enjoys and takes pride doing the opposite because he is clueless when it comes to adhering to the ALPA code of ethics. Ironic since he is such an ALPA cheerleader.

I use mine for company bid'ness, as in the business of looking for company. :cool: Wha's up!

--SP

All you people writing off 100% of your cell phone bill... well... I hope you never get audited.

I see your point about getting audited. I claim half of the usage and I think its appropriate and YES I use my phone for company use. Its the easiest, simplest, and most effective way for me to communicate with the company and since I get the discount it doesn't really cost me anything.

That being said if my a$$ gets audited my cell phone write off will be like tossing the deck chair off of the Queen Mary when it comes to the other stuff I claim. Kidding aside the audit rate for the less than 110k joint filing is less then 1%. It costs more to audit your return than the money they could yield.

VV

I get 22% off my bill due to the company. I think I'll make the call... from Canada... and still come out ahead. But hey, they'll reimburse the call anyways.

The company doesn't pay for my pens either but I still sign the logbook. Is it any wonder so many people think pilot's are prima donnas?
There is no excuse for delaying a plane load of people to make such a petty point.
Everyone bemoans the lack of respect our profession gets, seems to me this type of thinking is why.
Geez, I even agree with Milky, AND, he didn't call anyone an idiot to make his point, you're improving dude!

I use mine man. Professionalism is about more than going a la cart with your job description. You have an union attitude, but have you read ALPA's code of conduct?

We're not the United Auto Workers or are you in contract negotiations?

You gate returning for ACARS inop really outlines how worthless you are. Would you declare an emergency or gate return if the FMS went down?

Moral of the story, YOU BETTER NOT WRITE OFF ANY OF YOUR CELL PHONE BILL!!

This sums it up better than I. As I said above everyone pines for the old days when pilots were respected. Well maybe it's because the Code of Ethics was written when pilots put both safety AND getting the passengers to their destination on time ahead of their own petty grievances.
Because of that, when they did complain or make a point, management would listen. Perhaps back then grievances were taken more seriously because they weren't watered down with so much pettyness.
The way I see it, as soon as pilots started seriously inconveniencing passengers to make a point, we greatly lowered our respectability.

Now all that said, management has certainly attacked our profession and earned the right for us to not trust them. But someone has to take the high ground and screwing over passengers isn't the way to do it.

This sums it up better than I. As I said above everyone pines for the old days when pilots were respected. Well maybe it's because the Code of Ethics was written when pilots put both safety AND getting the passengers to their destination on time ahead of their own petty grievances.
Because of that, when they did complain or make a point, management would listen. Perhaps back then grievances were taken more seriously because they weren't watered down with so much pettyness.
The way I see it, as soon as pilots started seriously inconveniencing passengers to make a point, we greatly lowered our respectability.

Now all that said, management has certainly attacked our profession and earned the right for us to not trust them. But someone has to take the high ground and screwing over passengers isn't the way to do it.

Holy crap! Someone gets it! The biggest hurdle I had/have to adjusting to an airline job from my previous one is listening to countless airline pilots (no particular company) speak and act as though the airline exists only to make their life the way they think it should be. The aircraft is nothing more than a tool that should be used to make extra money. The schedule has nothing to do with anything other than what they want to work. Not making any effort to get flights out on time because "the company" doesn't deserve it.

It's as though if someone actually pointed out the pax in the back they would be shocked.

Sometimes I wonder if that locked cockpit door hasn't created more of a barrier than just a physical one with the post 9/11 new pilots.

Who uses their cellphone in the cockpit to contact dispatch, scheduling, or maintenance?

Why do it if they are paying you for your minutes. Use what they have provided you.

If that means return to gate because ACARS is inop, do it!

Don't give them anything for free, because they sure as hell don't give us anything free!

An all or nothing approach is wrong. I think of it as a continual chance to try to use principle. If you're feelings towards your work are average to happy, use the cellphone. If they've been pissing you off, don't. And in the meantime try to factor in the pax (not on xmas eve) AND the fact that making an example by causing a delay really doesn't do that f-ing much to make a difference:)

While you are pondering that ask yourself why would anybody stay away from home for 350 hours a month for about $500. a week as a regional FO?

Latest resources

Back