Who takes a 135 Jumpseater

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
cheezpilot said:
I gave a hard time to an Airnet jumpseater the other day for it but took him on anyway.

That's kinda cheezy, isn't it?

Re: What about SWA?

rice said:
Anyone know if its possible for a 135 guy to catch a ride with SWA?

SWA only allows 135 pilots to jumpseat if their company has an agreement. (Good luck getting a security document to get through the checkpoint if you do not have an agreeement. You'll never get the the Captain to ask.) There are only 4 Part 135 companies on the list they keep at the gate check in counter:

Amerflight
Air Net
Cape Air
Bank Air

If you can get past security, and your company is not on the list, you can always beg. However, some chronic beggers get black listed. Ana Zeppeda is an Air Vegas pilot who is also UAL F/A. She tries to jumpseat on WN often enough that they have put her name up on the memo board saying she is "not to be given a jumpseat under any circumstances as we do not have an agreement with Air Vegas". Jeez, just buy the UAL pass agreement ID 90 already......

Last edited:
Fraitman-
Hey maybe it was just the POI of the carrier I used to fly for back in the 90's but carrying a jumpseater in a part 135 airplane without an auto pilot (I think he was refering to FAR135.101 and 135.105(b) unless it has changed) or in a single engine airplane (FAR 135.163(f)1-2) was big No-NO.. Maybe things have changed since then because wasn't it just a few years ago that the FAA signed off on the single engine IFR part 135 passenger thing. I think they looked at the jumpseater as a passenger because the jumpseater did not have a check out in the plane or something. Hey, it could be wrong but my ticket was on the line so I did what I needed to do to keep my record clean.

CatYaak-
I used to get razzed about it from other carriers so what comes around goes around. I just was in a playful mood and wanted to see the Airnet guy fidgit a bid. Can't I have a little fun, I was going to take him all along. I have NEVER refused a jumpseater in a 121 operation flight list or no list. It is just really hard to get by the gate agent if you are not on the list.

The 135 I fly for isn`t on SWA`s jumpseat list, but I have never been turned down by a Captain nor have I ever had any probs with a gate agent. Lots of my fellow co-workers use SWA all the time. I have heard of a few occasions when they have been turned down, but these occasions were few and far between. Give em a try, all they can say is no.

Hey cheez, I used to carry SWA jumpseaters in a Lance when I was flying for AMF. That was a common occurrence.

POI's and their interpretations of regs.... blah!:eek:

American Eagle FM 1

Our FM 1 states that we can not accept any Part 135 jumpseaters, but I have had two cool Captains give the ok to the jumpseater. They are risking a visit to the Chief Pilot, but they've been in your shoes before and we all try to help one another out when we can.

Chicago Express (ATA Connection) allows for Part 135 guys jumpseating. I certainly allow them on my aircraft when they come up but remember buisness casual (many people are still in sloppy jeans etc. which isn't so cool) and have ID (many Part 135 ID's look so poor, I sympathize because until 3 years ago my own Part 121 carrier IDs looked like something made on a xerox machine) WITH airmen certificate, and another photo ID ready.

I really don't see why we should deny ANYONE the jumpseat in our industry unless their company refuses our employees (for no FAR reason). Even then I take 'em and tell 'em to keep fighting the good fight to get that fixed but that's me.

Okay, well how would a 135 pilot proceed to attempt jumpseating now?

I used do to it a lot prior to 9/11, but how would I get to the gate without a ticket, in order to talk to the captain?

I have gotten on AW and Mesa post 9/11 a few times with no refusals. Just smile at the gate agent and be friendly ;)

As far as getting through security, i havent had one actually inspect my ID badge, but i always look the part in the monkey suit which does wonders.

Latest resources

Back