• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who has a motorcycle?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Have a 64 Harley Duo Glide. 6-volt electrical system, kick start and manual spark advance. An antique when it was was new, as it is now. Well over 100K on the odometer. Vibration ruined the jewels (speedo jewels, that is) years ago. Originally a Maryland cop bike purchased by the officer that rode it. Lots of fun, and lots of work. Just like an old Jag or Porshe you have to like turning wrenches.

I have seen brand new Harleys with base gasket leaks and bad fork seals.
And I have seen old Hondas that had been stored improperly for years fire up with minimum effort.

50 bucks bought me a 1974 Honda 750-4. It had been stored for years and the gas had jelled and all four carbs had to be cleaned out. had the tank chemically dipped. Coated and painted the tank. Bought new fuel lines, screens for the bowls and a new battery.

I had a fire extinguisher standing by, but that **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** thing thing fired up. I couldn't believe it. Gave it away when I moved to live nearer to my job that I'm now furloughed from.

I sold a 79 Harley shovel-head for nearly twice what I paid for it.

Have a need for speed! Get a rice rocket, or a BMW. Ride em hard and put em away wet, and they will still be there for you.

Want a conversation piece. Get a Harley.

if you're getting a new one you really can't go wrong with any 600cc sportbike, they're all nearly exactly the same in performance.. but you may not wanto get a brand new one for a first bike, that plastic on the sides is expensive to repair.

hey patmack, what kinda toy are you gonna replace the gixxer with? i'd buy yours if i could, the only thing better than a 04 1000 is an 05 1000!

I've owned 7 bikes over the past 13 years. I started out with a GPZ550. The bike I had the longest was a GSXR750 that I owned for a bit over 7 years(bought it brand new), and sold it about a year ago with nearly 100k miles on it. I had a 'busa for a little over a year...and it was just too much bike. I had a tendency to go very fast on it, so I finally decided I to get rid of it. It was a fun bike, but not when you have to share the roads with the bluehairs in Florida.

I agree with what others have said about ALWAYS wearing a helmet and leathers. I've dropped two different bikes, one at almost 60mph and the other at 45mph on a windy road in California. On the latter, I ended up in a ditch off the side of the road with a broken ankle, slightly torn up leathers, and a slightly damaged helmet. Had it not been for the helmet, it would have been a badly damaged head. The first one I dropped was while trying to avoid a car that pulled out on a straight road. I walked away from that one, but my leathers were trash.

I had one bad accident, where somebody turned left in front of me. I was going way too fast, and ended up not being able to avoid hitting her(it was either hit her or go into oncoming traffic). I slowed to about 40 before impact, though, and ended up hitting the right rear quarter panel on her car. I was launched over the car, and the next thing I remember I was laying on the road with lots of people gathered around. I wasn't feeling any pain at the time, which worried me. I was trying to take my helmet off, and a guy stopped me...then he peeled it off by undoing the strap and pulling the bottom apart. It split nearly right down the middle. Apparently, it was already split...he just helped it apart.

I ended up with a concussion, a slight neck injury, 2 broken ribs, a broken arm, and a broken leg. Had it not been for the helmet, I would have been dead on impact. The leathers helped me avoid road rash as well, but unfortunately couldn't prevent the broken bones.

I don't have a bike at the moment, but I am casually looking for another. I'm a bit hesitant to be riding with all the idiots driving around Florida, but the urge to ride seems to be winning the battle.

Mis-statement

Someone said real men ride Harley's. That's wrong... real men walk along side of their broken Harley's. I rode exclusively for 8 years ( Yamaha, Ducati, and Moto Guzzi) and can't tell you how many times I've stopped along side a broken down Harley to help the guy out. If only people would learn. :D

BMW, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, and Triumph, all are bit pricey but will last your lifetime. Now you have to decide twin, triple, or in line four. Personally I like the sound of either a German or Italian twin.

psysicx,

I think the Kawi bike you are thinking about was about a 1976 or so 900. Had a picture of one on my wall hung right next to the Farrah Faucett poster.

KlingonLrDRVR

I got a Suzuki Intruder VS800, kinda looks like a HD Sportster. It makes for a great first time bike, extremely easy to ride and got great looks to boot, kinda like a mini-chopper. Killer acceleration too...but I think it's geared too low, if you're doin anything above 70mph it's screamin.

That said...it's easy to outgrow your bike and mine feels kinda cramped already. I'm thinkin of goin to a Shadow 1100 if I can sell the Suzi.

I'll vote too on the gear and helmet MUST have; I too had an accident with a dude turning left in front of me: basically I flew over the car and landed on the other side of the intersection (estimated speed at impact around 60... I know...). The people who ran to help me were amazed at seeing me alive. Got a micro fissure at the hip and a bad ankle for 6 weeks.

Anyway, a common today's 600cc (R6, 636, GSX-R 600 etc.) is definetly NOT a begginer bike; just like in airplanes you have to be ahead of it or it'll kill you.
I have read nothing but good things about the SV 650 as a bike to start on; if you like more the sportbikes and inline four, the Yamaha YZF 600R ThunderCat (NOT the R6) is great and you can find it really, really cheap. It's a 600cc but with only 86hp or so (compared to the 100+ of other 600cc of today). It will do around 11.3-11.5 and top speed is in the 150 area. The thing I liked the most is that it's extremely confortable, you can ride it for hours and you'll feel no aches of any kind. I cannot say the same for my buddies who rode Gixxers, R6 and R1 that are definetly more track oriented.

With that said riding motorcycle is very similar to flying airplanes; it's a helluva of a experience! IF done properly it'll give you many, many years of happiness and feelings that others can only dream about.

And now I must decide if I get a 1000cc or pay for my CPL... <sigh> ....

Latest resources

Back