Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CA1900

Big Member
For about the 50th time at CommutAir, we're pushing to get deadhead pay credit. Right now, deadheads are unpaid -- the per-diem clock ticks, but that's it. (At the same time, we're hearing that because our bids are all under guarantee, we're getting paid more than we work anyway, which isn't really true when you factor in the deadheads, checkride orals, etc. We just want credit for the work we're doing, and as I'm sure we all know, deadheading IS work.)

In any case, the rumor now is that the powers-that-be don't believe that other airlines really pay their pilots to deadhead. (Keep in mind this is the place where the owner had never heard of longevity pay, either, so we're paid by years in each seat, not at company.) So we need to provide examples.

Obviously I know many companies credit either partial or full flight pay to deadheading pilots

If your company pays for deadheads, could you please respond and let me know which company, and how much you're credited or paid for the deadhead?

Thanks in advance.

XJT pays block time or actual (whichever is greater) at 100%.

It's nice having a union!:)

Shouldn't ALPA be able to use their resources to help you figure this out......Oh, I forgot your pilots decided they didn't need a union.

Even Colgan pays 50% of deadhead flight or ground transport time. Small consolation for the reserve travel adventures they cook up.

At Independence we get paid 100% of actual block or scheduled whichever is higher for all deadheads

Truckdriver said:
Shouldn't ALPA be able to use their resources to help you figure this out......Oh, I forgot your pilots decided they didn't need a union.

We're working on it, genius. Getting a union on property from scratch is a huge ordeal, something you've never had to do at XJT. You had a union when you got there. It's not as simple as just calling another vote. We have to start over completely from scratch, from getting a national interested again, to distributing cards, to petitioning the NMB for a vote. So kindly shut your trap until you've been on an organizing committee trying to bring one on property and educate your co-workers on why it's a good thing. It's a lot easier to join a union that's already there.

And incidentally, if the majority of the furloughed ALPA members from XJT who were flying at CommutAir had actually voted instead of deciding it wasn't worth their time, we'd have the union on property and I wouldn't be asking this question. The dozen guys on the organizing committee plus all the furloughees on property at the time would have been more than the 50% we needed to pass the vote. So go to talk to them, not to me -- I was on the organizing committee, and am still very much in favor of unionizing. Your "brothers" are the ones who left us high and dry.

To those who actually answered my question, thank you. I didn't start this to be a union pissing match; you're preaching to the choir.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back