Who gets deadhead pay?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CA1900 said:
And incidentally, if the majority of the furloughed ALPA members from XJT who were flying at CommutAir had actually voted instead of deciding it wasn't worth their time, we'd have the union on property and I wouldn't be asking this question. The dozen guys on the organizing committee plus all the furloughees on property at the time would have been more than the 50% we needed to pass the vote. So go to talk to them, not to me -- I was on the organizing committee, and am still very much in favor of unionizing. Your "brothers" are the ones who left us high and dry.

To those who actually answered my question, thank you. I didn't start this to be a union pissing match; you're preaching to the choir.

I wasn't one of those guys and I have never worked at your company, but I can speak of the decisions that alot of people make when it comes time to vote on a contract, LOA, a union, etc. Alot of our flowbacks from CAL did not vote on our contract because they felt it was morally wrong. Wrong because they are on their way out the door, why should they vote on a contract that effects pilots at Express when they will not be working under it. It's unfair to the people that have to live with the outcome of the vote. For the same reason I'm sure alot of Express guys at CA didn't vote. I am sure some simply didn't care and I am also sure some did vote.

My point is, do not bash the Express pilots because they didn't give you the swing vote you needed to win. If CA does unionize it needs to come from CA pilots and no one else.

Your right, I was not around when COEX unionized, So I do not know first hand what you are going through. I am sure it is a very hugh ordeal, and I wish you all the best of luck.

Horizon

QX pays the same as flight time if the deadhead is to/from a flight duty assignment. If its for training, and on the same day as training, you do not get credit for it. If you deadhead up the day before training, you get credit for a 'travel' day.

My point is, do not bash the Express pilots because they didn't give you the swing vote you needed to win. If CA does unionize it needs to come from CA pilots and no one else.

The problem with that mentality is that a failure to vote is counted as a NO vote. Anyone that didn't vote actually voted against the Union drive. Any active pilot that was eligible to vote had a responsibility to do what was right for their pilot group.

SKYW Pilot said:
Skywest gets paid 100% AND we're not union.

Eagle gets 75%, and we are union. I guess that says a lot...

At the time of the union vote, furloughed ExpressJet guys made up more than 1/3rd of the eligible voting pilots. Considering it lost by about 10 votes, that is one large "swing" vote. And as someone else mentioned, abstaining from voting is counted as a "no" by the NMB. The NMB did not differentiate the pilots by whether they were furloughed XJT or "regular" CommutAir. The large number of them that felt that it wasn't their place to vote did in fact hurt us quite a bit. There is another movement in the works now, but as stated, it has to start from scratch again. Don't look for a vote for close to a year.

Latest resources

Back