White House & Capitol Evacuated

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
gkrangers said:
Ok..I don't like 100 miles. I couldn't even fly to Atlantic City or Cape May.

How about just a total ban on non airline traffic in the current ADIZ? Maybe expand it to 40 or 50 miles?

Kind of an odd suggestion considering that the two worst terrorist attacks in this country involved airliners and wheeled vehicles (not sure if Oklahoma City was a truck or a van). In fact there has never been a terrorist attack using light GA aircraft in this or (to the best of my knowledge) any other country. Are you going to ban SUV's, rental trucks, and vans from all major cities?

Having said that, this guy must have had his head so far up his a$$ that the lump in his throat was his nose. Consider:

1. Not using VFR flight following

2. (apparently) not keeping a listening watch on 121.5

3. (apparently) not even a hand-held GPS to help with airspace issues

4. (apparently) attempting to navigate the DC airspace using only pilotage

5. The straight-line distance from Smoketown, PA to Lumberton, NC is 353 nm. That's kind of pushing it in a C150. Given the above, I'd be willing to bet he didn't even flight plan a fuel stop.

Perhaps in order to possibly avoid worse damage to GA (and the moron politicians implementing even tighter restrictions), the best thing would be for the FAA to crucify this guy. Permanently pull his ticket and make an example of him. Also, civil fine and confiscate the aircraft.

Greg

Last edited:
enigma said:
Ok friend, who's really rationalizing. The small aircraft advocates who "know" that a small aircraft couldn't be dangerous, or me, a person who is giving some sort of explanation as to why the authorities get so worked up about an errant small plane.

While some of you are busy burying your heads in the sand as you declare the lack of threat that small aircraft pose, the movers and shakers are moving closer and closer to completely legislating us out of the sky. Instead of telling them they are wrong, maybe we should try and understand what scares them. Like it or not, they have the power to completely shut us down, and just telling them that a C150 isn't a threat won't stop them.

I'm ready to support a total ban on non-commercial aviation anywhere withing a hundred miles of DC. I'd rather not, but if this kind of airspace violation continues we might end up with a total ban on a lot more airspace than just DC.

I still can't believe that these pilots busted the airspace, and I'm even more incredulous about the way that some of you are just blowing this off.

enigma

You are a complete moron. I gather that you don't make your living in the Baltimore Washington airspace. I instruct out of Martin State Airport and have witnessed first hand the decrease in GA activity there as a result of the ADIZ. If the ADIZ were to be extended any further it would do nothing but kill GA in this area which is already hurting from the existing ADIZ. You can support more restrictions as long as it is not in your back yard. You are no different from the idiots in the TSA and Homeland Security.

The ADIZ as it stands now has over-worked controllers who have to deal with the pilots who play by the rules and make a living in the ADIZ. As I said earlier, GA activity has decreased, but it has not yet died. Owners don't fly on a whim anymore, they need a reason to fly to justify the exposure to violations. In the ADIZ, if your transponder stops working you will be violated by the FAA and charged with numerous violations with the worst being careless and wreckless flying. I know of which I speak, I know many pilots who stopped flying after transponder failures earned them a violation. We have no way of knowing that the transponder has failed while we are flying and bingo, just like that, a record of careless and wreckless flying for what?

I have plans of flying for a regional and then going on to Netjets. Would Netjets hire me with this violation on my record? This is the risk I take each and everyday I fly in the ADIZ, and now you want to extend it or even an out-right ban just so you can fly in another part of the country, How ignorant and self centered!

GA is now the major pipeline to bigger and better things. I will explain this to you because you lack the brains to figure this out. I go to flight school and earn my CFI license. I then teach and build hours to move onto a 135 charter or 121 regional. I continue to pay my dues and land at a fractional which is where I want to be and worked so hard to get. How do you propose I earn my time to get to this level if non-commercial aviation was off limits. A very small portion of pilots come from the military which is the reverse of what was true long ago. I am too old to join the military, so I guess that my desire to fly is too bad because you want a ban on non-commercial aviation.

As I said, you are a complete moron.

This thread has really bothered me just because people are buying into the problem of terrorism. First let me remind everyone that the terrorist struck the twin towers with a car bomb in 1993. They then waited patiently for 8 years to strike again. In this time, Tim McVeigh parked a Ryder truck in front of a federal building and blew it up Killing 160 some people.

Fast forward to Sept 11, 2001. Eight years go by and the terrorist board American ( as USA ) airliners and use these airliners as guided missles. The target once again the twin towers. The terrorist used our planes loaded with our people, and crashed them into our buildings. This is a huge blow to the American people. The terrorist struck to the heart of America by planning and executing an act of terrorism that will be remembered just as Pearl Harbor will be remembered.

The point of all of this is why would a terrorist jump in a small plane and kill himself for little impact? The terrorist are radical, not stupid. The terrorist are looking for big numbers. This concerns me because I can't think of what they will do next. I just don't think that small planes are of interest to terrorist because of the lack of damage they can do.

From AOPA....

AIRSPACE VIOLATION A CLEAR LESSON FOR ALL PILOTS
Pilots must take responsibility for every part of their flight, including understanding local airspace, conducting proper flight planning, and managing navigation. That's the lesson all pilots can take from Wednesday's incursion into the flight-restricted airspace around Washington, D.C. "Every pilot is responsible for proper flight planning, and in today's security environment you just can't afford to make mistakes," said AOPA President Phil Boyer. The White House, Capitol, and Supreme Court were among the buildings evacuated when Hayden Sheaffer, a certificated pilot but not a flight instructor as some media reported, and Troy Martin, a student pilot, strayed into the air defense identification zone (ADIZ) and within three miles of the Capitol in their Cessna 150. The two were flying from their home base at Pennsylvania's Smoketown Airport, to a fly-in in Lumberton, North Carolina, when they were intercepted by military aircraft and diverted to Maryland's Frederick Municipal Airport.

AOPA SETS RECORD STRAIGHT
While there's no excuse for violating such highly publicized, sensitive airspace, there's also no excuse for getting the facts wrong. That's why, in the hours after the incident, AOPA President Phil Boyer and members of the AOPA media relations staff focused on correcting the many factual errors and misconceptions appearing in news reports. AOPA staff spoke with dozens of television networks, local television and radio stations, newspapers, and wire services in an effort to correct the sometimes-outrageous statements being made by so-called aviation experts with little or no understanding of general aviation. "A Cessna 150 is an extremely small two-seat airplane. Even fully loaded it weighs significantly less than a Honda Civic," Boyer explained. "It's simply incapable of doing much damage." In one case, law enforcement authorities indicated that the airplane had been stolen. In fact, both men on board were part owners of the airplane and had followed their flying club's scheduling procedures for the trip. See AOPA Online.

gkrangers said:
No, it is one of the most clearly written statements in this thread. A private pilot may carry a passenger. It doesn't matter if that passenger is another pilot, a student, or a non pilot. I'm not finding the misinterpretation that you are.

Ok Gk, that's what I thought you meant.

As for the guy that looked up to see if the guy was a CFI, It takes months before it gets on the FAA's list. I have a Multi rating and 2 months later it still doesn't show up. So checking ratings on the FAA site doesn't mean anything, the guy that was with him was a CFI.

TDTURBO said:
As for the guy that looked up to see if the guy was a CFI, It takes months before it gets on the FAA's list. I have a Multi rating and 2 months later it still doesn't show up. So checking ratings on the FAA site doesn't mean anything, the guy that was with him was a CFI.

Dude where are you getting this from? The guy was not a CFI. BTW, his date of issue on his certificate was 1969. I agree it takes some time for the registry to update your certificates, but I don't think this guy got an instrument rating, commercial certificate and the CFI in the last two months. Read the AOPA article. Believe it or not, the media sometimes makes mistakes.

From the registry:
HAYDEN LOWERY SHEAFFER JR

Address

Street 1209 ORCHARD RD
CityLITITZ StatePENNSYLVANIA CountyLANCASTER Zip Code17543-9702 CountryUNITED STATES​

Medical

Medical Class :ThirdMedical Date:06/2003
<LI>MUST WEAR CORRECTIVE LENSES.

Certificates

1 of 1

DOI :10/25/1969Certificate:PRIVATE PILOT​
Rating(s): PRIVATE PILOT
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND​

Last edited:
This just goes to show how much safer we are since 911, and especially after the supremely timed invasion of IRAQ. I mean hey, I feel Safe.

WOW...a cessna 150 nearly shut-down the capitol of the most powerful country in the world.

Perhaps after this incident, we could reason that Abu Dabi may have cessna's of mass destruction and tactfully invade by sending even more Americans abroad to march around the streets like sitting ducks.....

Of course Bush will ride horses at his ranch recollecting his days of war....

Ahhhhh.....go ahead, say it. I'm a commie pinko tree hugging bleeding heart liberal. :rolleyes: ...Try again.

These folks busted at least 8 FARS, and should be hung out to dry. They should be fined, never allowed near an airport or an airplane. I fly a bug smasher, and I like what Phil Boyer had to say

"I am frustrated as hell,"
"How, with four million emails last year about TFRs, with two
education campaigns that still exist on our website, with
partnering with TSA for things, with editorials, with constant
pressure -- how can pilots within a shadow of the DC area ignore
all that and fly into the heart of the ADIZ?"

I just don't understand how they could be so stupid, and they ought to be drawn and quartered for their stupidity.

Latest resources

Back