Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

While you are all joking about this small by comparison story...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's interesting to me how no one came out in public in their defense. Why wouldn't ALPA defend them publicly? Even if ALPA thought they were not truthful, they could come out and support their clean record.

Ok...I can lurk no longer. Are you guys kidding me? These guys were out of radio contact with ATC and their dispatchers for one and a half hours. They not only flew 150 miles beyond their IFR clearance, but also beyond the destination that the aircraft was dispatched to. They were in danger of being intercepted and shot down. And you guys call this a simple mistake? People bust their commercial rides every day simply because they cant find one of their checkpoints during the cross country portion. Situational awareness is fundamental. And these guys claim they lost all situational awareness, because they were on their laptops. Yeah right. If the frequency is silent for over 10 minutes, somebody is keying on checking to make sure center is still there. They have to be covering up the fact that they fell asleep. That's the only thing that makes any sense as to how this happened. All this experience these guys had just makes it even worse that they allowed this to happen. I strongly agree that if it was a regional crew that did this, everyone in this forum would crucify them. But since it involved a NW crew that was so experienced, they are perceived as humans that made a mistake. Taking off squawking the wrong txpdr code, calling chicago center "indy center" when checking in, and overspeeding the slats are all mistakes. Not sure what these guys were doing up there, but any ATP at that experience level should not be making mistakes like that anymore.

I did find this statement from the DAL MEC. Sounds like they think this is ASAP'able.

Release #09.DAL3
October 26, 2009

Delta Pilots’ Union Issues Statement on Northwest Flight 188 Investigation

Atlanta—The Delta Master Executive Council, the Delta branch of the Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA), the union that represents the over 12,000 pilots of Delta Air Lines*, today issued a statement concerning the NTSB investigation into Northwest Flight 188.

“As professional airline pilots, our primary concern is and always will be the safety and well-being of our passengers,” said Captain Lee Moak, Delta MEC Chairman. “In any aircraft incident, there is always more to the story than first appears in the press. We do not condone the abandonment of due process that will result from a rush to judgment; instead we implore all interested parties to move with deliberate and unemotional professionalism as the events surrounding this incident are investigated.”

On Wednesday, October 21, 2009, Air Traffic Control (ATC) lost radio contact with Northwest Flight 188, and Flight 188 subsequently overflew its destination before radio contact was reestablished. The aircraft remained visible to ATC radar at all times. Once radio contact was reestablished, the aircraft returned for a safe landing at its destination. At no time were the passengers, crew or aircraft in danger.

Over the past several years, labor, management, the industry and government agencies have partnered, expending significant amounts of time, money and effort, to develop programs such as Aviation Safety Action Programs (ASAP) and Flight Operational Quality Assurance (FOQA) programs designed to improve the safety of our nation’s aviation system. The core tenet of these programs is the ability of pilots to self disclose without fear of retribution in order to help make the U.S. aviation system the safest in the world.

“To date, all crew statements related to this case have been voluntary. We are disappointed that these voluntary statements are being used without regard for the breach of trust and confidence their use will cause,” Captain Moak remarked. “Programs like ASAP and FOQA could be dealt a debilitating blow as pilots question the integrity of these voluntary programs. A rush to judgment by the NTSB will have a direct impact on the future of voluntary safety programs, which are at the very core of the safety structure of the U.S. aviation industry. The continued viability of these programs themselves will be placed at risk. That will, in turn, cause irreparable harm to the safety of our nation’s aviation system.”

“The NTSB is an independent federal agency charged with determining the probable cause of transportation accidents and promoting transportation safety. They are not charged with prematurely releasing self-disclosed information to be sensationalized in the press,” Captain Moak insisted.

“We will work closely with Delta and federal officials to determine any root causes for last weeks sequence of events,” Captain Moak continued, “but in the meantime I strongly encourage all parties not to reach a hasty conclusion. There is a proper venue for this investigation, but we stand firmly behind the crew’s right to due process.”

Founded in 1931, ALPA represents 54,000 pilots at 36 airlines in the U.S. and Canada. ALPA represents over 12,000 Delta pilots. Visit the ALPA website at www.alpa.org, the Delta MEC website at www.deltapilots.org.

SOURCE: Air Line Pilots Association
CONTACT: DAL ALPA, Kelly Regus, 404-763-4925 office or [email protected]

ASAP doesn't matter, this incident is not single source.

You still have certain protections under ASAP whether the incident is sole-source or not. What is exempt from ASAP is intentional disregard for safety/procedures.

Ok...I can lurk no longer. Are you guys kidding me? These guys were out of radio contact with ATC and their dispatchers for one and a half hours. They not only flew 150 miles beyond their IFR clearance, but also beyond the destination that the aircraft was dispatched to. They were in danger of being intercepted and shot down. And you guys call this a simple mistake? People bust their commercial rides every day simply because they cant find one of their checkpoints during the cross country portion. Situational awareness is fundamental. And these guys claim they lost all situational awareness, because they were on their laptops. Yeah right. If the frequency is silent for over 10 minutes, somebody is keying on checking to make sure center is still there. They have to be covering up the fact that they fell asleep. That's the only thing that makes any sense as to how this happened. All this experience these guys had just makes it even worse that they allowed this to happen. I strongly agree that if it was a regional crew that did this, everyone in this forum would crucify them. But since it involved a NW crew that was so experienced, they are perceived as humans that made a mistake. Taking off squawking the wrong txpdr code, calling chicago center "indy center" when checking in, and overspeeding the slats are all mistakes. Not sure what these guys were doing up there, but any ATP at that experience level should not be making mistakes like that anymore.

Does it rise to the level of a career ending mistake? I say no.

Does it rise to the level of a career ending mistake? I say no.
What if the f/a hadn't called them and finally woke them up? Fuel exhaustion somewhere over northern Michigan. Would that qualify as a career ending mistake? I'll bet they're glad that buzzer is so loud.

What if the f/a hadn't called them and finally woke them up? Fuel exhaustion somewhere over northern Michigan. Would that qualify as a career ending mistake? I'll bet they're glad that buzzer is so loud.

Probably, but that didn't happen. They landed safely. We can speculate til the cows come home about what ifs. Let's talk about what did happen. They screwed up. The mistake was trapped (finally) and the flight ended safely. There should be consequences, but permanently losing their certificates is excessive IMO.

I usually disagree with everything you say , but that's a pretty nice statement above!

Yeah-These are just human and we all make mistakes-they certainly deserve a second chance-especially since they are classy enough to not fly RJs.

You still have certain protections under ASAP whether the incident is sole-source or not. What is exempt from ASAP is intentional disregard for safety/procedures.

You are correct, sir. I think they will get their licenses back-eventually. The FAA is just trying to make it appear that they dropped the hammer on these guys.

Latest resources

Back