WHICH PLANE? A320 or 737

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bavarian Chef said:
Are y'all serious? You are really into the whole "American thing?" Me too, but I own a shee-eyet ton of things that aren't made in this country. Where was you ipod made? Your coffee maker? Your alarm clock? Your weed eater? How about the dang computer I am typing on? I cannot believe this thread even exists considering it took me all night getting foshizziled to waste my time and post on this thread. This topic is as retarded as a Honda vs. Ford thread. And don't give me that crap about a product being built somewhere else but the profits coming home to America.

Besides, chics dig planes with foreign accents.

Dude, it's a Dell...

Haven't flown the Airbus, but it looks comfortable up front, I know it's comfortable in back, but give me the reliability of a Boeing any day. Oh, and by the way, BUY AMERICAN!

boeingdriver213 said:
Haven't flown the Airbus, but it looks comfortable up front, I know it's comfortable in back, but give me the reliability of a Boeing any day. Oh, and by the way, BUY AMERICAN!

If you haven't flown one, how do you know they're less reliable?

Wait, I'll look it up myself.

737: http://www.boeing.com/commercial/news/feature/banking.html

What does the data tell Boeing?
"For some time now, the 737 has been leading its direct competition," Hayes said. "In fact, the data shows that the 737 fleet, with 99.3 percent gate dispatch reliability, might be THE most reliable airplane flying today. This means passengers who fly on a 737 are leaving on time, and getting to their destination when they're supposed to."

A320: http://investor.jetblue.com/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=JBLU&script=410&layout=-6&item_id=714823

JetBlue was awarded the prestigious Award for Operational Excellence for having attained, over the past two years, a 99.43 percent technical dispatch reliability, the highest percent of all carriers worldwide with a fleet of more than 50 Airbus A320 Family aircraft. In 2003, JetBlue received this award as an operator with a fleet size of fewer than 50 aircraft.

Best info I could find. Certainly JBLU is not every 320 operator around the world, but I think we can assume that both types operate with comparable reliability.

What follows is in regards to comfort and ease of use. I don't know nor do I have access to dispatch rates and all that whatnot...

I've flown the 320 series, but never the 737. I will say, comparing the 320 series to the Boeing 757/767 series, the bus wins hands down in the comfort level. There really is no comparison in the ergonomics of the Airbus. You can debate til the end of time about the pilot/aircraft interface, FBW and all that, but the bus is flat out more comfortable, and not having a dam&* yoke in the way is a nice touch. Roomy cockpit, relatively comfortable seats, plenty of room to stretch out.. it's a nice ride.

To be fair, I'm comparing a brand new off the assembly line A319 to a 25yr old design 757. The bus SHOULD be better, or someone isn't doing their job.

Boeing screwed up by not updating the 737 more... they could have made the NGs a much nicer ride for the guys up front, but some airline decided it's still the pilot's responsibility to close the fields on the generators and whatever archaic crap y'all do on that overhead panel.

In the back, the bus is more comfortable and quieter (to my ears) than the 737-800 series. This is coming from a couple of years of riding DAL up to LGA from DCA and using USAir for the ride home. The bus lands softer, too, but that might be the large number of navy boys at Delta.. :)

The Jet Blue fleet is still pretty new, while the total 737 fleet averages at least one decade, maybe two, with jets back to the 1960's still in service. If you have to use a new fleet of Airbus jets still under warranty to match the dispatch reliability of a huge fleet of new-thru Jurrasic 737's, that does NOT show that the two aircraft are comparably reliable over their lifecycles. (The JetBlue quote says that their fleet was the best worldwide, which begs the question of how low did the # get when you start looking at jets whose average age matches the 737 fleet?)

The A320 series is 40% American made components............

I wonder what percentage of the Boeing is foreign made ?

My ideal airliner would be the Airbus cockpit, fuselage and systems mated to the wings, landing gear, brakes and Rolls Royce engines of the 757.

I fly the 767 worldwide with VERY little maintenance issues. We take a mechanic along with us, and had some conversations with them about the Airbus. A few of them do some part time work on the AB. Their comments are " The Airbus is everyones favorite airplane, the pilots because of the fancy cockpit, and the mechanics because they get so much overtime" I think that sums it up.

Latest resources

Back