Where to live in Chicago?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pirep1 said:
Thank's for the replies, I guess I should be more clear in what the needs are. I don't have a family to worry about, looking for a two bedroom, an easy commute to ORD, a good pub close enough to enjoy, safe living in a good neighborhood that is affordable on a regional Captain pay. Will have two cars, so will need parking. Looking in the $1000-$1300/month rental range. Thanks for the replies.

If you want an easy commute try and live off the blue line. Check out Blue Line for all the stops going towards downtown. You could find a place around the Damen, Division, Chicago, and Grand stops for that price range. Having two cars will make things more expensive...most parking spots go for an additional $150-200/month.

There are also a lot of new developments in those areas. You might be able to mortgage a new 2 bedroom for about $1500/month as another option.

For renting, The Apartment People are a free service and can also help out in finding a place.

Where's a good area to live in Chicago?

FIB's Wisconsin

jobear said:
Where's a good area to live in Chicago?

FIB's Wisconsin

Goin' to da darkside and live in ChiTown with the FISHTAB's??? Tell me it ain't so, Jo! :D

Wait a sec...you're not a native Cheeshead so I guess that makes it okay. Wait, I'm not a native Cheesehead either! :eek:

Time to move back to the Republik of Caleeforn-I-A?

Good luck tomorrow and enjoy next week.

Take care...

Peace

SF

Easily the Greatest City...except for da' Maer!

Sorry to say that a two bedroom in any desirable neighborhood is going to be pretty tough for $1300 and impossible with parking for two cars. Street parking in lakeview, lincoln park, wrigley,bucktown, wicker park, ukrainian village,river west, and anywhere else near the cta (the "el") is tough to find and tough on the car. People parallel park by "feel" and your bumpers get trashed. With that being said, chicago is the best city in the US. Just my opinion, but chicago offers truely world class dining and entertainment for a fraction of the cost of living of LA or NYC. I would recommend getting rid of at least one of the cars. You really don't need one if you live by the blue line. You can free transfer to the other lines and get any where you need to be for $1.75. Or buy an unlimited monthly pass for $75 and you can ride the trains and busses for basically nothing. For your budget I would recommend the West Loop. You will still have a hard time finding a two bedroom for less than $1500 but the area is new so the prices are less than the north side. The blue line runs right past and the trip takes 45 minutes from the UIC/Halsted stop to ORD. If you commute you can get to MDW in 25 minutes with a quick transfer to orange line. Good luck, and don't move to the burbs, they do offer a lot more for the money but you will not regret living in any of the above mentioned neighborhoods.

Pirep1 said:
Thank's for the replies, I guess I should be more clear in what the needs are. I don't have a family to worry about, looking for a two bedroom, an easy commute to ORD, a good pub close enough to enjoy, safe living in a good neighborhood that is affordable on a regional Captain pay. Will have two cars, so will need parking. Looking in the $1000-$1300/month rental range. Thanks for the replies.

**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** dude, what kind of flying job did you get that you can afford that rental range??????

I can't wait to move out of Illinois. Wx blows. Property taxes are getting out of hand. Illinois has one of the highest energy (elec, natural gas) costs in the country.

Live over the border in Indiana.

MZ, how much have your taxes increased? How's your better half doing?

Latest resources

Back