Where Is The Worst Place You Worked?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Stateswest airlines....

7p.m. -7a.m. Shift making underwear at a Fruit of the Loom factory.... I didn't even get a discount on my tidy whities!!!!!!

The 6pm - 6am overnight shift at Janlin Plastics in Mt. Horeb, WI. I was a machine operater on an injection molding plastics machine. I made plastic things. Like clock face-plates for Honda, and those little red plastic triangles on the fronts of Mitshubishis, I made those. I made little plastic cherries for some kiddie board game. But the worst thing ever was the domino machine. The machine was timed too fast and it was damn near impossible to keep up with the parts. You had to take the two sides of the domino, put a sheet of paper between them, then take a brick (yes a BRICK) wrapped in fabric and manually bang the two pieces together. Imagine 12 hour shifts of banging plastic pieces together with a brick.

Eagle and American (I worked at both) were a cake-walk in comparison.

FlyBoeingJets said:
I hear you. T-37 IP was the best job I ever had. But it was all consuming and I wouldn't be married or know my children if I had done it any longer. Learned more in that tour than in any other job.

The first 1000 hours I got in the T-37 were the best ever. I became a much better pilot and I really felt like I was helping my students. Doing loops, spins and formation was a blast too.

When I got to just under 2000 hours in the T-37, I was burned out beyond belief. My students mostly just got on my nerves. Not to mention I had to go to a chiropractor once a week because of a pulled muscle in my back. As you know, the T-37 seat is as hard as a rock, it sits at a 90 degree angle and you spend all day pulling 4-5 Gs. Obviously, it was designed before human factors engineering.

I won't even mention the 100+ degree weather with no A/C and a rubber mask over your face.

But overall, I was a good experience. Sort of like the Peace Corps - "The toughest job you'll ever love."

For the record, I have nothing but the utmost respect for what civilian pilots go through. They have a tough road, no doubt about it. While I did experience crappy working conditions, at least I always had a decent paycheck. A crappy job combined with poverty and no guarantee of moving up is a tough course.

I guess one of my least favorite jobs was working at a "Recycling Center" while in high school. It was actually a steel container like you see going down the road on trucks. We recycled newspapers and cans. The cans were the worst - if the people bringing them did not squish them, we had to by stomping them. The worst were bags of old beer cans that squirted everywhere. Stale beer smell, old newspapers, hot steel container.....

Then there was the furniture factory where I operated a stapling machine on box mattresses. Those coil springs in your box matress? Yep, I probably stapled them in your Beautyrest. Not real fun.

Then after I joined the Air Force and went to Torrejon, Spain as a highly qualified aircraft mechanic - my job was cleaning up oil and stains off the ramp. The method - drop some speedy dry (kitty litter) and grind the stain off by scuffing with your boots. Then sweep up. Repeat 52,000 times.

Old School 737 said:
My closest brush with a truly BAD job would have to have been with Sunrise Airlines in 99 when they were a start-up. Not one person in OPS management (I kid you not) was able to gain FAA recognition for his job. The CP, DO, etc were all given tentative approval during the start-up phase of operations. The CP was a nice guy, heck he hired me, but he was unable to get the FAA to give him permanent approval. The same story goes for the DO, etc. The general manager only previous aviation experience seemed to be that he was an aviation consultant for some insurance company. etc., etc., etc. But they weren't bad people, just basically incompotent.

Was this the Sunrise that used to fly into Elko Nev.?
Heh, heh; yes it was.

I flew for 'em till they went under in 2000. They definitely had management issues, but it was actually turning into a pretty decent place to work by the time they died. I had a good time there; lots of fun people to fly with + got some TP time in the logbook.
But: Whoever had the grand idea that Jetstreams would be fine taking off Pt. 121 from airfields where the Density Altitude frequently reached 9,000' needed to have their head examined. (Correction: Anyone who thinks a Jetstream is "fine" for anything needs to have his head examined... for starving brain-suckers...)
A friend and I stayed on till the bitter end; rode 'em down right into the briny deeps. :D

Worst job?

Non-aviation: Working for a control-freak on government survey contract. Work was fine, but the dude nearly drove me to psychosis with his micromanaging and general antagonism.

Aviation: Well; I've liked all the WORK I've done so far, CFI and up, but the worst JOB was on-call 24/7/365 Pt. 135 charter. Yeah, I like having no life. :rolleyes:

C

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back