• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Where Is The Worst Place You Worked?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Worked as a waiter at the Hilton to pay for flight school.

Worst flying job? Well, being stuck in Dakar for a week while my airline figured out how to get us out comes close. Ended up on Air Afrique first class... Shag carpeting and all.

One of my first jobs as an E-1 in the Navy found me on my knees cleaning $hitters with a toothbrush. It's been pretty much uphill from there. Never had a bad flying job. Some are better than others, though.

Dunkin & Bush

I had a job the summer before college sandblasting and painting the inside of crude oil tanks. Hot, dirty, stinky work. Running lines through dark tanks the size of two football fields. The company was a bit sketchy and the paint we used was hard core industrial paint. There was one painter that we would always catch with his respirator hanging around his neck. He also drank pretty heavily after work, so I am guessing his liver won't be available for a transplant! I had a job a couple of years later that involved me pumping porta potties and septic tanks and I much preferred that over the paint gig.

I've only had two flying jobs and they have both been pretty good to me. Could be better, could be a lot worse.

Working in retail.

Worst flying job was Air Wisconsin in '88. The post-merger B.S. was too much. Regardless of who I flew with, they were pi$$ed off at the other group. And, I had to spend the whole trip hearing about it! What a miserable bunch(with a couple of very notable exceptions). Oh yeah, the F-27 sucked, too!TC

39N Sucks and Here is Why!

Flying for Naomi Nierenberg out of Princeton Airport- 39N. She treated us CFI's like dogs. Had to even pick her car up from the gas station, drive her friends to Trenton, 1/2 hr away, watch as the 100 hour inspections were just compression checks, Be parking lot attendants for her parties. What’s even worse then that. Getting paid 200 bucks a week for working from 8am to sunset 6 days a week and could not go to lunch with other CFI's since she did not want us to socialize. No radio in our office area just books. In the back room, where we had our desks there was little heat and no AC. Additionally, they had a few cats and the little box was kept in the back next to our desks. So not only did I have the smell of cat crap near me all the time, pieces of litter where often found on our desks and one guy had urine in his flight bag. O I can't forget then when we would go upfront, she or her son would say: "go back to your room, you have no business being up front"

The worst part was how she would use us and try to turn us on each other for multitime, but it never worked. To get the whole idea of what we went through listen to this. One of our very close CFI friends that worked with us was killed in a car accident during the first few months I worked their. The morning of she called all of us and said we had to come to work and fly. Upon coming to work, distraught and all, she took us into her office and said that she never got along with the CFI that was killed and she was happy that he did not die in "one of her airplanes".

Sad way to break into the aviation world. So sad that people like her are around.

That was my worst job ever......It only gets better from here!

P.S. If you know her then you know what I mean!

After college I work at a Rent-to-own store while I was in flight school, talk about a crazy business to be in. It isn't easy trying to collect payment from people who don't have much. This job took me to the worst places in town and deal with the worst people in town, drug addicts, gang bangers, strippers, you name it. Chasing these folks through ghettos and trailer parks trying to get your merchandise back if they wouldn't pay was all part of the fun. Humping funiture, appliances, etc. up three flights of stairs in the heat of summer all while wearing a shirt and tie (that was the funny part, who wears a tie in the ghetto?)

It was a big cat and mouse game, most of these people could barley keep the same job more than a month so time was never on our side, we had to find these freaks otherwise they just take our **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** with them and disappear, it was quite a wild ride. But after two years it helped me do everything I needed to do, I made manager so the money was good. I got all my ratings including my CFI, I bought a new car, then a house and I furnished it all with alot of the repo'd items that came back to my store. The road to sucess has many different paths and that job was part of my road. I now chuckle to myself when I think back of that time and all the weird stories I have of those days. I tell ya, the things we go through to fly huh?

Worst job I ever had was preparing human stool samples for parasite search. It was interesting to search the preps for critters afterwards, with a microscope.

Worst flying job was for an unnamed major based in PHX. Spent 12 years apologizing to passengers. Company slogan "We're not happy, 'till YOU'RE not happy."

I've heard it's getting better.

"Flying for Naomi Nierenberg out of PrincetonAirport"

I took one look at that place, including her and ran far away very very fast. I haven't met one person associated in any way with 39N that doen't hate her.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back