• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Where Is The Worst Place You Worked?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
4th accs ellsworth afb. the original mickey mouse club. with howdy dowdy as the leader.

Worked for a 135 outfit called SeaSands. Would have been a decent job if the airplanes were maintained, paychecks didn't bounce, and the owner wasn't an alcoholic. I was there beginning to end, and it started off great. When we brought the airplane off a trip the owner / mechanic met us and fixed whatever was broken on the airplane. Very well kept at that time.

Then he expanded, started drinking all his profits, and by the time it was all said and done the Feds grounded both airplanes. One of the engines on the original airplane had a little too much oil in its metal system to satisfy the FSDO, so they yanked the certificate. That was the final straw for them.

Shortly thereafter, the owner spent a year in jail for beating his girlfriend one too many times.

Got a job flying a Sabreliner after that. Great job, excellent airplane, very generous owner. Part time deal so it was hard to pay the bills, but you couldn't ask for a better boss and friend to boot.

After that, went to PDT. This place is a hole, but they were honest and upfront about it at the interview, so I can't really complain. I work for the crappy company, but with some of the best people I've ever met. Its a trade off I guess.

I'd say out of 14 total jobs I've had in and out of aviation, 7 were crap. I still wouldn't trade the experience of any of them. I've delivered pizzas, cleaned bathrooms, worked in a garden shop, bartended, pumped avgas, been a drag race announcer, and flown a few different airplanes. I've learned something valuable from each job, if nothing more than learning more respect for people that really sweat to earn a living. Even the bad jobs have been a positive. (Then again I've never set foot at 39N or whatever that place is...)

Heyas,

Letsee,

See how many of these people you've worked with:

Ex-Army guy who's getting is FW time (generally good guys)

Ex-mainline pilot on alchy rehab leave (generally not)

Beyond ugly British dude who acts like he's a smoothy smooth with the ladies, but is in reality catastrophically ugly (buys lots of rounds, so OK!)

Down home southern type with an accent so thick it makes you laugh...has a wife/girlfriend that's 400 pounds (has amusing "backwoods" stories)

Belgian or French dude with BO so bad it makes your eyes water and stops the clocks (no fun, because they always are ragging on the US)

"The Donger". Makes you and your buds think of the guy from "Sixteen Candles". Makes you feel bad, because the guy is pretty OK.

Owner's son/daughter/3rd cousin/best friends relative who acts like God's gift to avaition, but couldn't fly out of a wet paper bag (usually winds up flying a Citation right after she/he gets their CMEL ticket, while you're still sweeping the hangar floor).

Religious type, bordering on fanatical, who constantly tries to convert you. Funny when you're Jewish/Pagan/whatever. This person eventually gives up, and goes the intolerant route, telling you that you are going to burn for all eternity.

LARGE CFI dude. Looks like a basment dwelling flight simmer that ate WAY too many Ring-Dings. But this guy actually got out of the basement and did something with his life. Generally OK.

'Sales' person at whatever school you work at. If you get near him, you feel the need to shower.

"Hyper-dude". On a mission. You never see him because he's always flying, scamming, wheedling flight time, often from your students. May or may not get paid for groundschool under the table. Looking to move on, and scamming everyone and anyone is not an obstacle. Your students mysteriously cash in their CFI/CFII/MEI programs to do 50 hours of block time with this dude.

Fashion-dude. Utterly hip and with it. On the cutting edge of every lame fashion...be it iPods, backpacks, clothes, whatever. May or may not be a metrosexual.

Golden-Boy. Loaded, and lets you know it. Despite being independently wealthy, luck follows this person around anyway. Drives you nuts. But make friends, as this guy is probably your next Chief Pilot.

Nu

Kmart. But there was a silver lining from my short time there....it was a great lesson on how NOT to treat people!

NuGuy said:
Heyas,

Religious type, bordering on fanatical, who constantly tries to convert you. Funny when you're Jewish/Pagan/whatever. This person eventually gives up, and goes the intolerant route, telling you that you are going to burn for all eternity.

Nu

Had this in my right seat on a night flight to MSP. He was trying to "save" me. After over an hour of the "Our Lord" converstaion, I slowly reached over and placed my hand on his, which was on the thrust levers. He pulled away with the speed of a viper when I told him that I would follow him "anywhere". He stopped the talk and just read checklist for the next 2 legs, it was great!

I laughed my ass off. Then I get a call form the Chief about the flight. The FO felt that I was inappropriate. I told the chief about this young preacher and what I did just for a laugh. The Chief and I laughed about it for the next couple months.

For the record: I dig Chicks and I am not gay (not that there is anything wrong with that). I went to a Catholic HS.

SDF2BUF2MCO said:
Kmart. But there was a silver lining from my short time there....it was a great lesson on how NOT to treat people!

CODE 4 TO THE PARKING LOT.....:puke:

I poured concrete one summer in Dillon, Montana for $6 bucks an hour for some guy that I was distantly related to. I lived in a tiny trailer w/ no heat or running water that was parked behind Subway. After using the restroom, I would have to fill a bucket at the well to flush. And, due to the lack of heat in the trailer, I woke up in my sleeping bag with frost on it one morning.

I didn't know a soul in town, and got to look forward to some redneck co-worker who was faking a neck injury to collect disability yelling at me for not leveling the ground correctly with my shovel.

Glad those days are done.

Dude!

I like was workin in dis like ole folks home, and like da dude dat had to be like chewin all da food for da peeps dat had no teeth. It like made me like REALLY freaaking hungry, cause I like wanted to like have somma dat, but dem peeps like keep making me spit it back on da plate. By da time I gots too da house, my jaw was like so sore and stuff, I coulds only drink.

Trans States Airlines...but I would tell my mother I was a piano player in a whorehouse so she wouldn't be ashamed of me...:pimp:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back