where is njaowner?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A few questions please---

NJAowner, what is your position on tipping the pilots? Would you be embarrassed if it became public knowledge that one of your flight crew receives government assistance? Do you find it misleading to be told that there are two captains in every plane, when in reality there is one captain and one first officer that is forced to have a captain's rating but is paid much less than some of the limo drivers? I have no problem believing that you are an owner, as I truly am a wife.
Netjetwife

Tips

NetJetWife - I have covered the tips dicussion on the board several times in the past. But, I am flying next week and may try to get some feedback on this with a trial balloon. Please help me and I may try it.

How much do I tip the Capt and F.O.? Should I give the Capt. more? $50 each, $100 each?? 15% of the cost of my hourly fee for the flight (this I will not agree to)? 18% if I have a party of 6 or more on the flight? 15% of the onboard catering bill?

I am not being sarcastic. What do you expect your husband to receive as a tip and what would you (or he) consider insulting?

Thanks.

(Please tell him to ) Fly safe.

Hey Lady,

let it go.

How dumb are you to think the folks in back give 2 $hits about your husband. (nor should they). He pays good money to get from point A to point B - that is it. The guy pays for a SERVICE - yeah, its a little strange that he spends time on a pilot website - which as others said, makes one think he is fake...but whatever...

If hubby aint makin enough money to put steaks in the freezer tell him to get a better freakin' job or drag your annoying a$$ off the computer and go to work. Your personal finance problems are not the clients problems.

Dont worry, the gubament will put cheese in your hand, not NJAOWNER.

Last edited:
Thank you owner for asking.

NJAOwner...notice I didn't include the rest of you......I told my husband of your post and we discussed the tipping situation. He insists there is no set formula that the owners could/should follow, just some basic guidelines. The flightcrew is tipped as one, usually handed to the Captain, who splits it evenly w/the first officer. My husband has "caught the tip" a few times because he is the first one off the plane. Tips run between $50-$200, total for the flight. My husband has only received one $100 tip. There are some factors the owners can consider in setting the amount: Size of party; extra welcome/attention shown to a child; number of bags; amount of catering served; extra flights/legs by the same owner; and service above and beyond duty, such as calling ahead to arrange ground transportation. Additionally, the degree of flying difficulty should be reflected in the tip. Flying in bad weather and/or landing on challenging runways, like those seen in the mountains, would suggest a larger tip/recognition of the effort expended by the flightcrew. The only thing my husband finds insulting is watching the owner tip all of the line guys while he and the Captain are ignored, irregardless of the extra efforts they have gone to on behalf of their passengers. My husband averages one tip in two months time. As with many things in life, it's not just the money, but the appreciation and recognition that goes with tipping which makes the difference in his feelings about the job he performs. Those are the points my husband made in our discussion.

From my perspective, I'd like you to know what happens to those tips. My husband gives them to me to use as "petty cash" for running the household. The money is used for basics such as gas in my car, lunch money for our son, and small amounts of groceries---milk, bread, juice, etc.--those items you run out of frequently. Every tip is appreciated by my family. Yes my husband is a professional, and I realize that there are those that feel he shouldn't be tipped as such. However, he does perform other tasks of a personal nature outside of flying, he makes an effort to be friendly that is not required, and he IS
(embarassingly so) underpaid at $28K a year. He enjoys the job, and believes in fighting for what is right. That said, if fair wages..at least NBAA average.. are refused by the company, then he will be forced to take his talent and experience elsewhere. Many of my friends' husbands are planning to do likewise, IF ( VERY BIG IF) the TA passes. The owners SHOULD be concerned. My husband has flown through very bad weather and made some extremely difficult landings that caused him to draw upon his 20 years of experience gained in military flying. Are they willing to risk their lives and those of their families because NetJets will not pay well enough to retain experienced, high-caliber pilots?
Netjetwife/LB

This tipping talk makes me uncomfortable. Please do not feel like you need to tip the pilots.

I have accepted tips and been glad for the money. But it also makes me feel a bit dirty. However I would NEVER EVER ask for or hint about getting a tip. Thats way low and dirty.

So I just wanted to add my 2 cents and say please do not feel obligated to tip!

My husband has flown through very bad weather and made some extremely difficult landings that caused him to draw upon his 20 years of experience gained in military flying.

Oh my...

NJAowner:

Have recieved tips while flying 135 I offer this. Do not seperate the captain from the FO. Hand them both equal amounts as well is the FA if there is one. I recieved as little a 20 buck before, and as much as $400.00. If you are feeling generous, go ahead.

I got a $5 tip from an Options owner once. I didn't even have to load his bags. Man, what a good day that was.

Majik said:
OK, I'll bite. What have you, a member of THE ONE GROUP OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE THE POWER TO EFFECT CHANGE done to EFFECT CHANGE?
I'm still waiting for NJA Owner answer my question.

Latest resources

Back