Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Where in the carolina's would you retire?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey Hop...
All those places you mentioned STINK!

Take my advice and look into these:

Lizard Lick, NC
Bug Hill, NC
Tick Bite, NC
X-Way, NC
Star, NC
And of course my home town...Monkey Junction!

I could go on, but I won't give away the really GOOD places to live in NC!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I lived all over the country and NC was the worst experience that I have ever had.

Hmm... Well if you b talk'n bout all that poopin in yor front yard, that thar wuz me! Moon Pie's & RC Cola's do a number on my drain pipes, and yor grass was so green and invitin lookin.

sorry ya left mad... but glad yor gone!

Moving to the south (or anywhere else) is like interviewing for a frac job. It's more your attitude than where you came from. Some get it, some don't.

We have family friends in the Winston-Salem area. They like it there, but are not retired.

I agree with your perspective, Helm. I'm not surprised to see you post it because your enthusiastic attitude was apparent when we met in CMH. I hope/trust that you're off to a good start at NJA. Best Wishes! :) NJW

I've been thinking of buying some land and eventually
moving to the Carolina's. We like the mild climate, mountains and lakes. What area would you choose to
live and why if given a choice.

Charleston, SC
Greenville, SC
Charlotte, NC
Greensboro, NC
Wilmington, NC
Raleigh/Durham NC

Thanks in advance. I am leaning toward Greenville.

Wrightsville Beach (just north of Wilmington) is nice.. access to the entire east coast and off season is perfect if you can stand the occasional hurricane. RDU and Charlotte are not as quaint as they used to be as they've grown so much, Ashville is gorgeous but it's too far from anything to be useful. Greenville is in the middle of nowhere, and Charleston has become a tourist trap in recent years. I also really enjoy Myrtle Beach ....mostly for the golf though!

We lived in the Winston-Salem area for 5.5 years up until late April. We really enjoyed it and hated to move back to South Florida for all the aforementioned reasons (native to the state, 4 generations), but the pilot job market in NC is so poor that it just had to be done (I still have 20 years till retirement). Taxes are high though, State Income tax, personal property taxes on cars, grocery taxes, etc..oh and a cop on every corner. Still though, I miss it. Folks speak to one another and don't use middle fingers or horns. The mountains are real nice. Asheville would be good. Also, Emerald Isle, on the coast is very nice. It really depends on what you want, but the state does have quite a bit to offer.

I once had a conversation with a pilot who had once visited my southern hometown. He actually said...."It wouldn't be so bad except for all the rednecks." Wow.....nice attitude. And you wonder why you don't fit in?

My advice to folks of that mindset is to give Florida a try. Good weather, no state tax, plenty of loud-talking ill-mannered yankees looking for things to complain about.... and you won't have to deal with many REAL southerners there. Most of them left long ago to get away from the transplants.

I wonder why you don't hear many southerners requesting advice on tips for re-locating to Jersey or Ohio or New York or etc.... We must be stupid or something.
I say again.

As long as you stay out of East Tennessee I don't care where you retire. ;) If you don't bleed orange your not welcome.

Latest resources

Back