• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Where did the SWA plane catch fire

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
With the nature of this profession, I don't point out others accidents. The best of pilots have met early demise due to unfortunate events.

I'm not sure if I believe in Karma, but why take that chance?

I do believe in Karma, and Tanker Clown has got a bunch of bad one around him.

Good thing the Air Force doesn't make mistakes

LL_kc135.jpg

Brakes

I would have taken it to the end then. I'm sure they were trying to hustle and get to the gate...but I wonder how much time this ended up costing them.

Anyone know if the was an open write up on the breaks?

You do of nice job of tossing flame bait around.....well done. Some day, when (if?) you get out & do more flying vs. running from keyboard to copier to coffee pot......you'll find that things happen. Mechanical failures, screwups, etc.

Again, you're spot on.....it must have been an open write up on the "breaks".

Are you really this clueless, or just a great actor?

Good work on google guys! The difference between those pictures and SWA is simple. The AF guys made mistakes. The SWA guys knowingly blew off ADs. That goes past a mistake and directly to pure negligance. If a doctor screwed up an open heart surgery because he was drunk during the procedure, is that a mistake or negligance?

Aircraft Inspections
It is also important to dispel the misimpression that we did not inspect our airplanes for skin cracks. Nothing could be further from the truth. On a regularly scheduled basis, we perform an overlapping, repetitive, and comprehensive series of inspections of our 737s to detect skin cracks, literally inspecting every inch of the aircraft. For example, the following inspections are routinely performed:
  • MV1: Performed overnight on all aircraft that remain overnight at Southwest maintenance stations, at least every four days. A walk-around inspection is performed on all areas, including the fuselage, to ensure safety of flight items.
  • MV2: Performed overnight every seven days. More in-depth than the MV1, including an inspection of fuselage, cabin and servicing items.
  • MV3: Performed overnight every 50 days. A much more comprehensive inspection that includes all MV1 and MV2 inspection requirements plus the lubrication of components.
  • Cabin Visit: Performed overnight every 100 days. An intermediate check, includes interior tasks, fuselage, wing and engine inspections.
  • HC checks: Performed overnight every 250 days. These checks perform intensive fuselage and wing inspections, and also include functional tests of various systems.
  • Y checks: Performed over two to three weeks at a two-year interval. This is a “heavy” inspection of fuselage and wings, including several Systems Tests.
In addition to these regularly-scheduled inspections, there are also skin inspections required by six different ADs, which encompass over 1100 pages of instructions. The combination of Southwest’s regularly-scheduled maintenance and AD-mandated inspections make our 737 Classic aircraft one of the most carefully and thoroughly inspected aircraft fleets in the world.

The March 2007 events were triggered when Southwest undertook a modification of certain “lap joints” on our aircraft. Once this FAA and Boeing approved modification is performed, it resolves the skin crack issue addressed by the 2004 AD, eliminating the need for more frequent skin inspections in most of the affected areas. The record-keeping error we made with respect to interrelated ADs, was that our inspection paperwork did not include a small portion of the hull that still needed to be inspected under the 2004 AD even after the lap joint modification was performed.

Contrary to some suggestions, we did not miss an inspection. We conducted the required inspections. But, we inadvertently omitted a small area (0.6% of the skin surface) that ordinarily should have been specifically inspected under the AD. The “missed” area continued to be inspected by our other regular and routine inspections, as well as by an additional AD that called for crack inspections along a line that ran within 0.7 inches of the short length of the “missed” area.
We do not say these things as an excuse for any compliance irregularity, but wish to dispel any perception that we did not inspect our aircraft.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back