When would majors hire again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fly Chicaga

Hey Chicaga: That is a great avatar, and I always look forward to seeing the beauties you post. But technically speaking, SW isn't actually hiring right now and JetBlue isn't a major (yet, yeah I know, it will be one day soon, don't attack BluePeople). Yes ATA is hiring, and I think they are the only major hiring right now. Keep up the good work with the pictures!

Major Status?

Falconjet said:
Hey Chicaga: That is a great avatar, and I always look forward to seeing the beauties you post. But technically speaking, SW isn't actually hiring right now and JetBlue isn't a major (yet, yeah I know, it will be one day soon, don't attack BluePeople). Yes ATA is hiring, and I think they are the only major hiring right now. Keep up the good work with the pictures!

FYI, I do not think ATA reached major status. According to a google search, America West is the only airline to reach "major" status since the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978. If ATA was a major before that, I stand corrected. I am pretty sure though. Also, Alaska Airlines was right before America West.

And, not an attack, but JBU appears to be poised for major status by the end of 2003.

Re: Major Status?

jetblue320 said:
FYI, I do not think ATA reached major status. According to a google search, America West is the only airline to reach "major" status since the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978. If ATA was a major before that, I stand corrected. I am pretty sure though. Also, Alaska Airlines was right before America West.

And, not an attack, but JBU appears to be poised for major status by the end of 2003.

FYI, Yes ATA has achieved major status. This was taken directly from the ATA site.

Milestones 1973 Year founded
1981 Air carrier status approved
1986 Scheduled passenger service begins
1992 Scheduled service hub opens at Chicago-Midway
1999 Surpassed $1 billion in annual revenue
2000 "Major Carrier" status achieved
2001 Begins re-fleeting process and scheduled service from Chicago-Midway to international destinations.
2002 ATA becomes the number one carrier from both Indianapolis International Airport and Chicago-Midway, and the third largest carrier overall in Chicago, based on the number of passengers flown.
2003 ATA announces a company name change from American Trans Air, Inc. to ATA Airlines, Inc.

Google sucks!:D

Last edited:
Continental has about 400+- on furlough from mainline, Express had (?) about 200+- on furlough.

Re: Major Status?

jetblue320 said:

I don't think people realize that ATA is bigger than JetBlue and Airtran, until sometime in '04, and has been a major for awhile. Apparently the blue koolaid is powerful stuff.

It doesn't help that when Jetblue so much as announces blue colored snacks it ends up on the national news. ATA gets no respect.

Re: correct for current majors

pilotyip said:
I was thinking of the legacy air lines UAL, DAL, CAL etc. The old time majors, the places everyone wanted to go, they used use airlines like SWA, ATA, even JB as stepping stones to get that "Legacy Major" job.

So if SWA, ATA, JB are stepping stones what is Ck Capt DA-20 Cargo ops? The stoner people stepped on? A little angry at the Fonz Potsy?

Re: Re: correct for current majors

Dennis Miller said:
So if SWA, ATA, JB are stepping stones what is Ck Capt DA-20 Cargo ops? The stoner people stepped on? A little angry at the Fonz Potsy?
Dude, you even sound like Dennis Miller! I needed a good laugh!

Everbody wants to work at SWA someday. CAL is a stepping stone for SWA, just get the 737 type and go to Southwest. Heck CAL is a stepping stone for Skywest probably these days.

The safest bet is probably the regionals or maybe SWA. But what do I know, I've only been making good money at the regionals for a long time. I think I'll keep this left seat warm for....me!! LOL

I love this post being brought back to life.

It proves not one of us knows whats going to happen in the future.

Riddle me this! Why all this desire to make it to the majors?

Is it to fly a big airplane, is it to get good pay, is it to impress the ladies?

2012 some of the majors will be hiring, BTW what is a major, used to 1B revenue, I think Airtran and JB do that now days, so are they majors? if so AT is already hiring, all part of the 2012 hiring boom.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back