When to get ATP, now or later?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skywiz

Currently at almost 1400 hrs tt and in the military. I still have a 5 years left before my commitement is up so by that time I will probably have around 2500 hrs.

My question is should I go ahead and get the ATP once I hit 1500 hrs or wait until I decide to get out of the military (if I do get out)? (could be 5 years from now)

Thanks.

Get it when you have the cash, and the time to pass the written. Do NOT take the written and let it expire. Oh and make sure to take the practical in a plane you are current in. The ATP oral is all systems, and you better know them.

I would get ASAP and put it behind you. As you get older and lazier, you won't do it and then an opportunity comes along and you wish you had it. You are smarter and a better flier now than you will be so get it while you are good. Get my drift.

Everyone I've known (including me) waited until about a year before leaving the military. It's a waste of time to apply to the airlines without an ATP, and you really won't get an interview any earlier than 4-6 months before you can start a civillian job.

It's up to you, if you have the time now to do it and the interest, it won't hurt. If you would rather wait, no problem there either. If you fail, you have more time to fix it and more time to put it behind you if you do it now.

I don't know any military guys that have failed though. Our flight schools are pretty intense and I didn't think the ATP flying/ground eval was that tough. It does take a little time to study the written question bank.

Good Luck

See if when you have the written if you can get the check ride in your mil airplane, actual airplane or sim. Then you will have an ATP with a MEL and a type. I know it has been done in the past.

Don't worry about the ATP.

Stay in the military, take the retirement and then get a real job in the civilian world.

I wish someone had told me that years ago!!

Staying in the military is not a sure thing; in fact t is one of the more insecure jobs out there. Over the history of the military, it has been subject to political expediency and whims. Right now it is probably a secure job, 7 years ago it was not, and no one knows what it will be in 5 years. Military officers need a plan B as much as pilots do. Ask anyone who trained for Korea, Vietnam, or lived through the "Peace Dividend" at the end of the Cold War.

See if when you have the written if you can get the check ride in your mil airplane, actual airplane or sim. Then you will have an ATP with a MEL and a type. I know it has been done in the past.
Yip - Any idea how this is done? I have my ATP written and will probably do my AC upgrade in a year or so. Do I just find a DE and take him on the jet for the checkride? Thanks for any info.

Latest resources

Back