• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

When to get ATP, now or later?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yip - Any idea how this is done? I have my ATP written and will probably do my AC upgrade in a year or so. Do I just find a DE and take him on the jet for the checkride? Thanks for any info.

Try your training dept., or ask your fellow squadron pilots. If that doesn't work pop in and see the skipper, should know. If that doesn't work email the base skipper, should definately know. If all of that fails call the FSDO.

If that doesn't work than call 800jetcrew, higher power aviation in Dallas, GI Bill covers 60% of the $7400. hat and you get a free ATP and B737 Type rating, 1 hour oral is a cakewalk, 73 systems are simple and the sim is easy to fly.

Last edited:
Here's a nugget for you. Rather than getting the quick ATP in a small 2-eng prop plane or the like, and then later deciding you want to be competitive for SWA and have to go out and get the 737 type - wait to do the ATP until you have time to do the 737 type. If you have done your ATP written you'll get a free ATP. That ought to save you grand or so. I wish I had known!

If you really want a quick cheap ATP, do your check in a SEL, easiest checkride I ever took. No SE apporaches, no SE go around. One forced power off landing, a hold and four approches. Piece of cake. As far a getting your ATP in a military airplane. We had a reservist who was a Fed, and he would ride along on a normal PPC check ride in the P-3 and give the ATP and the type in the L-188. This was 1980.

If you really want a quick cheap ATP, do your check in a SEL, easiest checkride I ever took. No SE apporaches, no SE go around. One forced power off landing, a hold and four approches. Piece of cake. As far a getting your ATP in a military airplane. We had a reservist who was a Fed, and he would ride along on a normal PPC check ride in the P-3 and give the ATP and the type in the L-188. This was 1980.

Does it have to be a complex airplane? This sounds like an easy way to get the ATP completed before my ATP written expires, then just add on the multi-engine ATP when I go do something at flightsafety.

I did my SEL ATP in Grumman Tiger back in 1977. The inspector could not renew my CFI because it was not a complex airplane, so we rented a C-172 RG and made one landing. That got my CFI renewed. You would have to check the latest ATP PTS to see if a complex airplane is needed for the SEL ATP.

Ok, so I can get a 172 and do it. Now, where does one do a SE ATP checkride?

I live in the Atlanta area and pretty much all of examiners that I have used do the ATP ride. (SE or ME) You could use the FAA and escape the $300 fee.

That's all good and dandy about getting a SEL ATP, but which airlines fly a single engine airplane?

With the SEL ATP you never have to take the written again and you cna legally put ATP on your resume. A MEL ATP is good for maybe Cape Air and one other airline. Plus the MEL is harder and more expensive.

Latest resources

Back