Wheels up

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000227025&play=1

"well, joe, we're building an absolute total aviation solution. the most efficient solution that a customer would want. on the flights less than two hours, you want to fly at 3950. what does that mean? per hour. per hour. but 60% of the lift we'll need for our 10,000 members in 2020 is going to happen on jet planes. and cessna is the number one light mid cabin, super mid cabin manufacturer in the world. and to sit next to scott and have a commitment from his company to support wheels up, unbelievable. it's like a partnership sort of. you're doing the finaning, for wheels up, scott? how does it work? how many you starting with? well, we can based on how our membership is stacking up, 15 to 20 airplanes a year. we're going to do a combination of pre-owned, they're going to refurb for us, backup for us, new planes where appropriate. and we can take 15 to 20 airplanes a year. you've got firm orders for 20 of them already? no, we have a little bit less than that. but we're already set with the orders. we've started the conversion activity. we're really excited. kenny is an individual that really understands the market with what he's done marquee jet. we feel we have a competitive product. it's reliable, i think our customers are happy to be in the product. and opened up a whole new space of customers that can access the product. want to know, what's the difference in terms of the type of customer going with wheels up compared to net jets? well, it's interesting, i think the net jet business is a great business. i mean, we were -- we built it over the last ten years and it handles a niche market in the airplane space. what wheels up does is opens up 3 to 5 times the 150,000 people we targeted. i believe that 1/3 to half marquee folks will end up supplementing their aviation portfolio with the wheels up card. what were they doing before? in terms of the people? where were they flying? you said supplement, they'd be -- they're going to supplement. yeah, they supplement with charter. the aviation consumer has become a lot smarter. and i think that people are using net jet for the tough stuff, stuff into the mountains over the holiday season."

_____

Again, CEO of Cessna looked like there were places he would rather be than talking head on CNBC.

My friend was offered the job at Wheels Up and they just told him it will include a TRAINING BOND/CONTRACT. A few days ago they told him it might be a possibility, but today the truth came out.

Supposedly, from here on out new hires will have a training bond/contract.

My friend was offered the job at Wheels Up and they just told him it will include a TRAINING BOND/CONTRACT. A few days ago they told him it might be a possibility, but today the truth came out.

If WU requires FOs to have 1500/ATP at minimum, how are they going to attract pilots away from the expanding regionals and 91/135 operators with the schedule and salaries they are offering? I can see why they would want a training bond/contract - to keep pilots from leaving if they don't like the current schedule.

I'm a regional pilot and most pilots who go to the regionals do so with the understanding they will maximize their hours and experience for lowish pay and then hopefully move on (stepping stone). For that reason, the morally-degrading starting pay has been accepted as a price of doing business for many of us. I'm not promoting low wages, I am saying it has been a fact of life - at least until the pilot shortages start soon and wages inch upwards.

The challenge would be to attract enough quality pilots and then retain them. Avantair didn't have a big issue because the economy was in flux and many furloughed pilots were desperate. With the economy improving and regional/major airlines increasing their hiring, it will be interesting to see if WU and others can attract enough quality pilots at the current pay/schedule.

A potential positive for pilots considering WU would be an opportunity to progress from the King Air to the proposed jets (XLS and Sovereign) over time and make more money. Not sure if that is an option or what the plan would be....

Last edited:

It was only a matter of time before a signing contract would be required. Too bad really, but the training at FS for a KA300 type is around $28,000. They have had a few leave Gama after only a few months there. The 6/3 sched is the main culprit.

Does anyone know the term of the indentured servitude, er, I mean "training contract"?

Might be a training contract for king air noobs, but the ads are asking for typed and experienced...

Probably the scum-bag types that will contract and charge for recurrent too?.. I wouldn't go there if I was unemployed.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back