What's up with the yoke?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Steve 737 said:
The fault in that accident was not with the Airbus, but rather the pilot getting way behind the power curve at a very low altitude.

No, you're most likely incorrect. It was likely caused by a flaw in the throttle system, but we'll never know the truth, since Airbus switched data recorders and successfully blamed the pilot.

For a fascinating read:

http://www.airdisaster.com/investigations/af296/af296.shtml

Steve 737 said:
Correct me if i'm wrong, but if that had been any other aircraft, it would have done a nose first, after stalling, into the runway most likely killing everyone aboard. The fault in that accident was not with the Airbus, but rather the pilot getting way behind the power curve at a very low altitude.

Apparently, that is the case. However, I didn't know that there was some controversy surrounding the FDCs:

http://www.airdisaster.com/investigations/af296/af296.shtml

I found this on several sites about the accident. Now, from what I can tell, this also involves the Captain trying to clear his name, so take that for what's it's worth.

Also, while doing research about the crash (and coming up with very little official documentation about it) I just came across this:

http://www.eaawatch.net/

Now, this site is very high on the drama...so take it with a big grain of salt. Interesting reading though...

FastCargo

Hey, radarlove beat me to it!

FastCargo

FastCargo said:
. I think a center stick is best.rudder petals.
Right on! Center stick, throttles on the left and a HUD. The only way to fly.

There's no doubt that in an airliner a control wheel gives the most positive control, however, the sidestick is far more comfortable on any flight longer than an hour. I wonder if the pilots who chose the yoke have ever flown the sidestick.

Gotta say that I had reservations about the bus, and still do but you can't beat the sidestick and the power seats. Lean back, cross your legs, and watch the country go by. I dont miss a yoke.

I've flown at least a thousand hours each behind a panel-mounted yoke, a floor-mounted yoke, a floor-mounted center stick and a side-mounted FBW stick. Throw in a few hours behind a Beechcraft throwover yoke. And the winner is........May we have the envelope please? The winner is........

The tray!!!!!!!

Gotta love the tray. We spend a lot more time doing paperwork in the cockpit than we do handflying these days. In most flying jobs, that is. Some companies practically require it. Sad, but true.

Trying to eat a meal off a tray across your lap with the seat pushed back so as not to interfere with the floor-mounted yoke cannot be conducive to safety. I defy anyone to get much throw on a rudder pedal if an engine craps out while you have a tray on your lap.

Plenty of inevitable spills on shirt, pants, seat, floor, etc. eating off your lap. What a mess. I actually found a live maggot wiggling across the cockpit floor a couple of months back. Don't have nearly the problem in the Bus with the sidestick and the tray.

Another advantage of the FBW sidestick is you can put the airplane wherever you want it to go with a very small wrist movement. You do have to have your armrest on your seat set up the same way every time to brace your arm for consistent wrist angles for consistent feel.

Another problem with the Boeing yoke is the clipboard blocks my view of the bottom half of the ND unless I lean way forward when my seat is in the optimum position for me.

Two advantages of a floor-mounted center stick are you can fly with either hand and if you find you are over controlling for some reason or feel you need finer control(an ILS to mins. in strong wind and turbulence?) you can lower your seat and grab the stick down lower for a lesser mechanical advantage.

A disadvantage of floor mounted mechanical controls is the possibility of jammed flight controls due to interference from FOD on the floor of the cockpit. I found out about this one the hard way and almost had to jettison an airplane and mess up my landing to takeoff ratio of 1.0.

In my ideal transport airplane, I would like to see a FBW stick mounted on a swing arm coming out between your knees that could be locked in 1 of 3 positions: in the center or over your left knee or over your right knee. That way you could fly with either hand. Of course it would have a small tray that could be deployed when the stick was locked to one side or the other.

Re: fixed vs. moving autothrottles. The throttle design in the Bus is simple and elegant but until you get a couple of hundred hours on the line in the Bus, some of the reversion modes can catch you by surprise. Depending on what is going on you may be late in recognizing the visual and aural cues that tell you the thrust is coming back. If you don't hear it, feel it or see it on the ECAM, you may be slow in recognizing it. I guess that's why the put in speed protection but it sure can be embarrassing. Not that it's happened to me. 'course not. The Boeing doesn't have so many surprise reversions as the Bus and when it happens, it is nice to be able to see the throttles moving out of the corner of your eye.

I agree on getting rid of the Yoke. I fly both the 737 and A320 currently. Those cockpits are my office space. Just because I use a stapler at work doesn't mean I have to leave it the the middle of my desk all day long. Move it over to the side and make my office more ergonomic and COMFORTABLE. I spend up to 8 hours a day in that darn seat, the last thing I need in the way is a control stick I use for about 4 mintues a leg.

My $0.02,

Chaz

TWA Dude said:
There's no doubt that in an airliner a control wheel gives the most positive control, however, the sidestick is far more comfortable on any flight longer than an hour. I wonder if the pilots who chose the yoke have ever flown the sidestick.

More comfortable as in not in the way, because I certainly let old George fly her after a bit...?

BTW: Hope all is well as TWA/USAir, just too former C8 guys livin' the dream.

Latest resources

Back