Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

B747FR8DAWG

GIANT 747
I used to see the 10s in MIA all the time and noticed recently that they are not around as much these days. Did Gemini get rid of some 10s in favor of more 11s? What is the fleet composition now?

What's the latest news there?

tj,

Sorry to hear what's going on over there, just curious as to where all the planes went.

So if they are successful in selling the 10s, Gemini will only be a 4 plane operation, consisting of 4 MD11s?

I'm sorry to hear the operation has shrunk so much. I sure did enjoy the 10's and the crews I flew with.
I guess they are liquidating the 10's in preparation for the 777 freighters, or maybe Sir James has a better plan.

You would think there would be tons of international heavy freight to keep 'em busy.

the DC10 is one of the best aircraft of all time...sorry to see everybody phasing them out.

Business is very good. The Air Cargo business seems to be a very good one to be in now and the foreseeable future. the party line from the CEO in re the DC10s relates to the high operating cost of the 10 versus the 11 with the current price of fuel. If they could they would buy another 10 MD11s IF they were available at a price they are willing to pay. But FedEx and UPS distorts the market since they will pay whatever it takes and the planes simply don't exist anyway. So who knows. Business is so good they would not have any difficulty putting an additional 10 MD11s to work if they could train crew fast enough to offset attrition. again, who knows?

Apparently the recently departed CEO had entered into LOI/options (?) to acquire 10 Airbus 330s (?) and further in the uninformed rumour speculation department MAY be 747-400s? I don't believe 777s are anything more than a fantasy at best. If the company is to remain a going concern they need to acquire additional airframes to replace the DC10s. The business is there. I do hope somebody back at IAD knows what they are doing. Stay tuned.

tj

Yes, one of them is pretty much parted out, the other one is due a C-check. It is parked untill there is enough work to warrant the check.

@b747fr8dawg: 2-3 DC10's were flying in Europe doing Africa stuff, untill these customers wanted a MD11. Now the -10's are back in MIA

Hope there aren't any furloughs for my friends at GAC... I really liked a lot of those guys. Plus, it's not a good market to get into the job search thing these days.

... But FedEx and UPS distorts the market since they will pay whatever it takes and the planes simply don't exist anyway...

I don't think UPS is looking for any more MD 11's so hopefully that'll help the market to "distort itself" back to reality... ;)

Latest resources

Back