Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't pay the TAB

English said:
No, wrong answer bobbysamd. This poster should turn Tab Express down no matter the reason, no matter his age.
That is correct, but he should consider his age and impact on his family before he considers changing careers at all.

Last edited:
Here we go again......

Why dont we give him an objetive veiw?

TAB is not a bad school and you will get good experiance there. If time is a factor then maybe it would be a good thing for you. Remember, its not the kind of training you receive (CFI or PFT), but how you use it. I have met pilots that have 500 hrs that are more knowledgable than my fellow CFI's. Just remember that you have to study hard to get there. Either way you are going to pay your dues. And don't go to any flightschool that guarantees you a job, they usually just want your money. Look into ALL the schools you can before you make a choice.

Good hunting.

Good point

"And don't go to any flightschool that guarantees you a job, they usually just want your money"

Ummm....oh wait....isn't that what TAB Express does?

Stay away from Tab- you will not make it to a national or major if you buy yourself into a regional position and your life will also be he!! once you get to the line...

The program is nothing more than a complete and absolute joke.

3 5 0

You know 350Driver,

If you are going to try and convince people to not PFT, do it with facts, not lies. There a tons of ex-PFTers at almost every single major AND national, yours included.

That includes gulfstream, Eagle Jet, and all the ex 90's PFT airlines.

The argument that it COULD lead to more airlines expecting pilots to PFT, is semi-valid. But telling people that they will not get jobs is a load a bull. Air Tran and Frontier have recently hired quite a few from gulfstream. They are actually keeping some of the 250 hour program grads on a permanent basis recently, with numerous upgrades.

I myself have decided to not go to Gulfstream... for now... but it is for reasons other than the opinions voiced on this board.

PFT

"They promise the training in a matter of months for a chunk of cash that will be reimbursed after 3 years if I sign a contract to fly with them"

Ok They Promise ??? Try get that in writing, that WE (TAB) Promise you ..... Q What happens if they go out of business.

Take it from someone in the know, A Promise and Aviation don't mix.

chunk of cash I guess your talking about 80K+ right ?

that will be reimbursed after 3 years if I sign a contract

You saying they will reimburse your 80K after 3years ???? if you decide to fly with them for 3years. I'd like to see that contract.

TABEXP is sounding like that big thunder cloud thats right infront of you, and what happens when you see one them in your direction. Yeah thats right and I don't need to tell you the answer :)

Tallorder said:
.... I have heard all the stuff about some interviews being tuffer because of pilots not paying there dues and some looking down on the guy that payed for his hours but I am 40 and have a family. I need to move forward as fast as I can. ...

We all have families, dude. Wouldn't it make more sense to find a gig that provided hours AND you didn't need to pay for (i.e. CFI)? Whatever TAB costs probably could support your family for several years and might cause hiring problems in the future. Those are two die I don't wanna throw. You?

Tallorder said:
I have heard all the stuff about some interviews being TUFFER because of pilots not paying THERE dues and some looking down on the guy that PAYED for his hours but I am 40 and have a family.
T MAN

Hey, you shouldn't worry so much about interviews. It's not like you have to spell during them. Just try and pause where you should have typed commas.

I'm giving you a hard time because I think this is flame bait.

Paying the TAB - now or later

The_Russian said:
And don't go to any flightschool that guarantees you a job, they usually just want your money . . . .
Besides TAB, Gulfstream is a good example:

7. Does the total amount have to be paid up front?

Answer: Yes, the accelerated admission or the standard admission deposit must be paid in advance. The balance is due on the first day of the IFR refresher which is held on the second Monday of each month.

That scares me. It sounds like a con, unless there are assurances in writing that money will be cheerfully refunded if one fails the course. Of course, even with such assurances, it may take a lawyer to get back that money.

All that aside, while you might receive good training at TAB, you will wear the P-F-T albatross around your neck. At forty years old, you have enough going against you. Trust me on that one; I know what I'm talking about. Why add another potential negative?

There are plenty of other good sources of training besides TAB. Consider the more traditional schools. Another point is that hiring is not going to pick up as precipitously as you might think, so why rush? Even if TAB is legit, all it promises is an interview. Does that mean more than one interview if you fail at the first one? Will the place provide real placement assistance? Probably not. Once it gets you the one interview it will have fulfilled its contractual obligations. And, do not read into that interview promise "preferential hiring." The regionals still have many, many more better-qualified candidates to consider before they turn to P-F-T grads.

Last edited:
Once again.....

First off, we are not talking about Gulfstream. But once again you make me do this.

Second, just because you pay up-front at GIA does not mean that they are conning you. In fact Bobby, in the first five minutes of indoc GIA tells you:
"To enter this program you must pass the Instrument Refreasher course. If you do not pass you will not be allowed to enter the First Officer Program......(other things not applicable stated here)....After completion of this program you are NOT guaranteed a job. If you wish you can sign up for an interview with Pinnicle Airlines once you have completed 100 hrs in the B1900."

The initial eval consists of a refresher ground school given by a fellow CFI of mine, 3 hrs. training in the Frasca 142, and a 1 hour instrument flight eval in the Frasca 242 B1900 C (UC) simulator.
It is very inexpensive to the student. GIA does this to ensure any pilot with any amount of hours is proficient. I have seen 2000 hr (and current) CFI's fail this exam on numerous occasions.

If someone does not pass the initial evaluation it is between GIA and the student whether they get there money back. I have known many people that were NOT accepted because they were not up to the schools high standards. They got their money back minus the cost of the initial course.

Remember that I am not an official representative of GIA. I am a student and an ex-employee (CFI).

Anywho.....

Tallorder, rumor does have it that TAB is not so honest, but their CFI's and course are very good. But that may not be fact because I have only visited and heard stories. What I can tell you about GIA is all fact and they are a good school, although they don't provide primary instruction (PRIVATE-MULTICOMM) anymore. On the note of hiring, the airlines hire you whether you PFT or CFI. You just have to have the airlines minimum hours to apply.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back