Whats the word on TAB EXPRESS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Look man,
I've been flying 20 years, 12 as an instructor and also 4 as an airline pilot. This does not make me an expert, but it does give some credibility to my opinion, which is free....if someone wants a huge chunk of money UP FRONT, stay clear. I've seen too many poor guys get 3rd degree burned by that. Good luck, weigh your options early, and only listen to calm, factual replies.

Thanks for your help

Thank You guys for your honest opionions. I am reading everyone and listening very carefully

Tallorder

acaterry is right on.

You should NEVER have to pay all up front. No matter what excuse they give..

Would you give a contractor 300K on day one to build your house??

Once you part with the dough, you have lost 100% of any bargainnig power you had.

You are simply along for the "ride"

and, no doubt in aviation "ride up the a$$" is what you are in for.

You know 350Driver,

If you are going to try and convince people to not PFT, do it with facts, not lies. There a tons of ex-PFTers at almost every single major AND national, yours included.

That includes gulfstream, Eagle Jet, and all the ex 90's PFT airlines.

The argument that it COULD lead to more airlines expecting pilots to PFT, is semi-valid. But telling people that they will not get jobs is a load a bull. Air Tran and Frontier have recently hired quite a few from gulfstream. They are actually keeping some of the 250 hour program grads on a permanent basis recently, with numerous upgrades.

I myself have decided to not go to Gulfstream... for now... but it is for reasons other than the opinions voiced on this board.

aview1,

I sure hate to burst your bubble but you must be living in a fantasy world different than the one that most of us live in present day. Are "some" of the graduates of these programs at the nationals/majors? very few, and they surely are in a minority and that is pretty much a fact. When you say "tons" I have to laugh as I am sure many others have done the same when they read your reply. Obviously you do not have the background/experience in this industry to make a comment like that so it was taken at "face value" and that aint much. Most of the guys that I know who are on the interview boards across the line will laugh at you then spit you right back out and tell you not to let the door hit you on the way out.. No senior captain sitting on the interview board who had to bust his a$$ the hard way to get to where he is present day is going to have any compassion/pity for some sorry a$$ who had to buy his way in the door and undercut the industry in the process. Try it and see what happens to you, put your theory to test.:D I personally know one of these guys who attempts to pressure the recruiters into "choosing" these pfter's for the interview just so he can get a few good laughs and let loose on em. The majority of new hires at the nationals/majors will all be coming from either the regionals, furloughed guys, 135 guys, military, etc.. There is obviously no shortage of "qualified" applicants who have "earned" there way to this level and no need to whore the industry and go after the "few" who have bought and rented out a right seat of an airplane. I would stop drinking the kool aid that the marketing departments are feeding to you, it really will turn sour at some point down the line.. Will you get to the regionals? Yes but you will then experience what life in he!! feels like.. Absolutely no one that I know has any respect for these guys who have done this and went this route since they were able to choose between right and wrong at one point.

On the note of hiring, the airlines hire you whether you PFT or CFI. You just have to have the airlines minimum hours to apply.

I have some ocean front property in Oklahoma I would also like to sell, I will give you one he!! of a price on this... It is a different ball game after the regionals my man, if only it were as easy as "meet the minimum hours" then you are in.. You also must be in some sort of a fantasy world.. Take a look at the last few SWA, ATA, AWA, JetBlue classes and look at the hours that these guys had when hired, it may make you edit that statement... Hiring preferences at the regionals are only that, get real..

As for the "hard screening" at GIA, get real. You are trying to tell me that if someone shows up with a blank check that this group will turn them away.? You cannot be serious, sadly I think you are.

The argument that it COULD lead to more airlines expecting pilots to PFT, is semi-valid. But telling people that they will not get jobs is a load a bull. Air Tran and Frontier have recently hired quite a few from gulfstream. They are actually keeping some of the 250 hour program grads on a permanent basis recently, with numerous upgrades.

Gulfstream has hired street captains in the past with prior 121/turbine time. The guys moving on are these guys hired as captains for the most part who were hired off of the street. When they fed you guys the kool aid and lines of propaganda they neglected to tell you that at 500TT you would be kicked to some regional that has a "money" agreement to take you. I think Pinnacle, AE, and possibly one other will give you the interview, that is about it.. If you truly think that at 500TT you are going to Frontier or Air Tran then you surely have got that completely wrong, no truth to that.. It is quite interesting that they will refuse to tell you or be "unable" to give you a break down on the guys who have "bought" the seat and who are currently at a major/national.. Seems like that information would be rather easy to find and would be a great marketing tool if these pfter's were really sought and looked upon with any respect. To date I have not met a single guy who went through this program and is now flying the line at a national/major other than the street captains that were hired to go directly to the left seat... Where are you getting the "tons" of people from? I shall patiently await your response with great anticipation.(no sarcasm intended)

I myself have decided to not go to Gulfstream... for now... but it is for reasons other than the opinions voiced on this board.

Such a great program, why not? ( a tad of sarcasm intended)

3 5 0

So am I to assume that buying your ticket at somewhere like TAB or Gulfstream is not a good thing................ because it puts more pressure on fellow pilots to PFT as well, instead of working there way to the top. Sort of like paying for your police academy training and hoping to get a job with the local cops rather than going through the whole long interview process like most of the cadets

You know 350,

I know some poeple have a problem with PFT, and I can respect the arguments they bring. But you are just an ......well I don't think it's worth sinking to your level.. All you know how to do is try to step on people you disagree with. Notice how there is a thread on the regional forum on how this board has turned into nothing but a flame throwing mess, guess who one of the causes are, you.

As for gulfstream and other PFT type people, and I mean the ex 250 hour guys who upgraded at gulfstream and became captains, not being at most of the big 5, and America West, Air Tran, Frontier, your sadly mistaken. Flat out wrong. NOT TO SAY MAJORS NATIONALS ETC. love PFT'ers, it's just that it is not really a huge factor in pilot recruiting at that level. (wether someone was a CFI or not, doesn't send up a flag saying hire this guy) because to them, it's who the best candidate is. Not who they determine got their time the hardest most lengthy way possible. But they are there wether you, or anybody else likes it or not.

MOST pilots I have talked to are considerably more professional than you. Even the ones who disagree with PFT of any type, not just the FO programs. I have numerous friends (fixed wing guys) from the service, the one that defends our country, which you know nothing about, who are at majors, nationals, and regionals, some are on furlough. A FEW, not all, infact a small percentage of these guys strongly disagree with PFT, and I'm sure SOME pilots on interview boards disagree with it too, but they (most) are professional enough in an interview to determine who is the better pilot, and who is the better person, no matter how they got their time. Sometimes, not all the time, that person will be someone who PFT'd. You have proven that it will not always be the person who did it the hard way.

Last edited:
aview1,

I think you may have misinterpreted my posts. If you think that going this route is in your best interest then by all means do so, I would hope you would follow your ambitions and desires over my posts on this board. I have absolutely nothing against these guys personally just "professionaly". If I tried to step on you then I will be the first to apologize, but I do not think that was the case. I can only post from my experience(s) and those of others that I know. There is a reason why no one on this board has much respect at all for these guys that take part in these types of programs, just do a board search.. This is a dead horse that has been run over many times. As for the Mesa thread, I have no ties to that company other than quite a few friends who are currently first officers and captains there so I can not take the credit for those "flames".

As for gulfstream and other PFT type people, and I mean the ex 250 hour guys who upgraded at gulfstream and became captains, not being at most of the big 5, and America West, Air Tran, Frontier, your sadly mistaken. Flat out wrong. NOT TO SAY MAJORS NATIONALS ETC. love PFT'ers, it's just that it is not really a huge factor in pilot recruiting at that level. (wether someone was a CFI or not, doesn't send up a flag saying hire this guy) because to them, it's who the best candidate is. Not who they determine got their time the hardest most lengthy way possible. But they are there wether you, or anybody else likes it or not.

Can you provide some hard numbers on the "ex-250 hour" guys who are now flying for a major/national? I am sure this information if it agrees to what you are saying would be information that Gulfstream would very proudly provide a potential student.? I will await your response... Talk is somewhat cheap when you are saying what I am writing is not factual so let me see some figures/numbers and I will be happy to edit what I have written thus far.. He!! I guess the guys I know that do the interviews are probably just lying to me so I await your response...

c h e e r s

3 5 0

tallorder- I would use the "search feature" and you will find plenty of Gulfstream stuff that is pretty much along the lines of what I have written

Well 350, since you seem honest enough, I will be too.

i admit some of the gia graduate employment numbers given to me were infact from the gia marketing department, which means some of them could very well be in question. but i know for sure, not from gia, of at least 6 at United, all on furlough of coarse, 8 at Delta, 5 on furlough, high double digit numbers at Continental (Chief pilots son is a first officer at gulfstream) 3, who i know personally, at Northwest, 2 of which are on furlough.

3 in the last 4 months to Air Tran, and 2 to Frontier, one of which i also know personally. Obviously there are also a significant amounts at COEX, Colgan, and Pinnacle. These numbers are ONLY for Gulfstream, they do not include the other PFT programs.

****PLEASE let this be a note to all who read this, I am in no way advising anybody to go to gulfstream academy***
just answering a question.

350, I have to tell you, that I think, as do some of my friends, the same ones who disagree with PFT, (I am friends with people who disagree with PFT) that the Mesa PACE deal is also PFT. You give them a chunk almost equal to gulfstream, for an interview.

*** i want to reiterate this, i am NOT advertising for gulfstream, i just don't like seeing SOME, not all, pretty good pilots, and really nice people getting put down just because they PFT'd, but some of these guys ARE at majors. Gotta say, I don't know of numbers at America West, the used car sales men at gia would have to tell you that.

Last edited:
aview1,

I appreciate the kind reply since I have been unable to obtain those numbers from the guys that I know. Given the current shape of the industry however I do not think that those numbers are overly impressive but it does show that the numbers are out there to prove what has been contested on this board. Given the present day shape of the industry I would just be extremely careful when considering this option but do as you wish... I am pretty sure the guys that went to Frontier and Air Tran were pretty senior captains at there respectable regionals before they were hired on.

I have had a few friends who went the Mesa (MAPD) route who are now at AWA/ATA- many in recent times. The main difference between this program and GIA is that you are not given any hours in any airplane for a set cost, you are only given the opportunity to interview at Mesa if you can make it through this 19 month program which is a pretty difficult one to say the least. They have been known to wash quite a few out who fell behind the curve... The ATP program will also get you the interview if you pass on first ride so that is something that you may want to look into, I believe it is a 3 day course for around a $1,000 or so..

good luck in whatever you so desire and choose,

3 5 0

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back