Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's the coolest piece of aviation-related junk you've got hanging around?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Years ago Allison Engine Company had their own flight test department. The C-130 Herc employed four high torque Allison powerplants, and one of the first A models was sent to Indianapolis (then Weir Cook) Airport for structural flight test. Many mechanical sensors were placed in the wings for engineering analysis.

In the mid 60's, testing complete. My Grandfather and Uncle bought the C-130 for scrap. Engine and avionics had been removed. I'm not certain, but it was most likely cheaper to scrap the hull rather than dissasemble the airframe and wings in order to remove the test equipment. Perhaps, it had been stressed to it's limit. I was only 8 or 9 years old.

My Uncle said that they only broke even, however, I still have the Flight Commanders seat. The tail ramp served as a roof for our farms fuel depot for years.

I played many hours of astronaut in that 50's era design. It sits in my workshop today.

Seat Long Range Aircraft
Type A-6
USAF SPEC # 25285
Manufactured Part # 502.00000
Order # AF 33.038.30543
Serial # 1

I don't know how "cool" it is, but I have a ticket my great-aunt bought on Eastern Air Lines in 1958. She took a DC-7 from Columbus, Ohio to New York. First class.

$21.45!

Certified Amelia Earhart tampon in a walnut shadow box.

Number 46 of 573.

Sorry, not for sale.

:)

Last edited:
I have a WWII aviation sextant in a nice hardwood case that I inherited from an uncle.

I also have a little 1 inch 24 hour wind up clock that came out of the camera system of an RF-4.

Lessee:

Old McCauley Gull-Wing prop from 152, including spinner, bulkhead and bolts. It'll look cool/dorky when I hang it on the wall some day.

Several playing card sets from extinct airlines; Pan Am, National, etc.

Several unused postcards from same, including pictures of Pan Am's fleet types from the 60's. Also, one of a Northwest Stratocruiser.

Also, original playing cards from WWII that show Allied and Axis airplane silhouettes.

Old Cessna ARC radio (including VOR head) which I intend to set up at home to listen to AWOS when I get bored.

Several cool airplane toys including a 10" EAL 747 that is all-metal die-cast. Probably break your foot if it landed on it (just like the real thing!).

A handful of melted aluminum droplets, which cooled into really bizarre shapes. They are from the twin I got my multi and MEI in before a couple other guys crashed and burned it (they were not hurt too bad-minor burns).

AF Repair manuals, current to 1988, for H-3 helicopters. Don't ask.

Yep, lotsa junk. Lotsa, lotsa junk. Cool junk, though.

C

Last edited:
I've got a very cool old sectional chart from 1945 for the Denver area. I bought it in mint condition on ebay for just a few bucks. It's interesting to see how how much has changed over the years, and the old AN course is pretty cool. I'll probably frame it and put it in my room... Looks a little classier than the oversize sporty's c172 cockpit poster.

LIFE magazine from the '40s, documenting B-17 crews....

A bunch of "customized" dollar bills from former T-38 students, including one two dollar bill from a guy who never touched the stick on his first ride because the left engine got stuck in afterburner on takeoff...he had to shut it down with the fuel cutoff switch in the front cockpit..."OK...REALLY important...show me your LEFT hand, OK now shut off the LEFT engine...." :) and a silver certificate one dollar note from a special student....

A stuck microphone that I kept after garbaging up Seattle Center's UHF frequencies for about a half-hour....talking smack about the female controller, blah blah....kind of a "stupidity" reminder...

It's not just "hanging around", but I have a number of letters written to my late grandfather by Charles Lindbergh. They flew P-38's together during the war, remained friends, and when my grandfather passed away a few years ago, the letters were given to me.

Latest resources

Back