What's really up at Flexjet?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flex*wife

Based on what I've been hearing from my husband lately, a lot of people have a lot to say about the current state of Flexjet affairs but very few want to say it publically -- even if anonymously. I wonder why that is. Any thoughts?

I like to stay on top of this stuff but no one seems to be talking. Can ya'll help me figure out some of the following?

From what I've heard flying is so minimal it's pitiful but chartering is still occuring. It seems the schedule is hurry up and wait with a lot of guys going out first flight on day one for no trips and direct to the hotel for sometimes a couple days. Then it's busy schedules and late arrivals for last day seem to be the norm. Anyone else feeling this?

The new rest rules seem to be more confusing than clarifying. Who else feels this way? Perhaps I am just a silly girl, but it seems to me that it is a simple as defined contact/no contact periods and the boot if you don't follow through. If flexibility is the issue why not just stagger 14 hour shifts (using hotel reserve instead of airport standby) for several crews in a given region. I think any time you have more than a few pilots not understanding what the actual rest / no phone call time slot means something needs to be changed.

Airport Standby. More than a few times lately my husband has done airport standby with several crews in overlapping equipment. He enjoys the comraderie time, but I'm sure he would rather be at the hotel. Besides, that many pilots sitting around the lounge complaining to one another doesn't seem to me like it helps the company very much and spreads more rumors than truths.

Overtime. Is it true that a lot of guys are getting as much OT as they want despite the duty reduction and furloughs? Are there going to be any recalls? Why didn't they try the duty reduction BEFORE layoffs? Wouldn't that have been smarter or would too many have balked? My husband loves OT, especially unscheduled OT, but had decided no more of that with furloughs still out. That doesn't appear to be the policy of most pilots or do I have the wrong impression when I look at the big schedule?

Just a few a several I have... Thanks for your time. Not looking to become a regular poster, just curious with all the crickets.

And please, no pro-union or anti-union discussion. If it hasn't occured to anyone yet that as unfortunate as it is a union is decidedly neccessary at Flexjet I don't want this chance to get answers bogged down by that menutia. Those that can be persuaded have already been (like my husband), those who are still anti-union after the past few months will always be.

Last edited:
Dude, if you are going to post that fluff, at least have the stones to not hide behind a skirt. A drunk cowboy riding by on a gallopping pony would know your post ain't written with a feminine hand.

I guess I'll take that as a compliment

Dude, if you are going to post that fluff, at least have the stones to not hide behind a skirt. A drunk cowboy riding by on a gallopping pony would know your post ain't written with a feminine hand.

No -- I'm decidely female. Perhaps you've had too many brokeback mountain moments to recognize the difference hence your cowboy reference. I might be a "skirt" but don't mistake me for one who can't dish it out if you bring it.

No doubt my husband will find this funny as he is always entertained by my dominatrix side. Successful aviation wives like to take charge, those that don't end up bitter with all that alone time. I also have half a brain, and don't mind using it. So very sorry if that offends your male constitution so much you have to assume anything with a coherent thought was written by a "dude".

I am honestly asking for opinions here, not trying to stir up controversy or trade barbs. I guess no one will have to mistake your post as having been written by a gentleman, so let's leave this little jab fest and get on to the real purpose of this post.

Give me a break...

85 pilots out of work and you're complaining that your husband has to sit some airport reserve. Get a life.

I'm guessing you didn't read the post all the way through. No one is complaining -- simply wondering why it is happening so much when it's several crews on the same aircraft seem to be overkill. Seems more like a punishment.

I think my husband is very concerned about the 85 missing pilots. It's why he refuses OT. But from what I'm hearing, not everyone is, and that directly threatens his job.

I am only trying to gather information so I can be more supportive. He happens to be VERY VERY close to the next round of cutoffs/downgrades. I would like to do anything I can to see that not happen, but he has been told by more than a few it's just as likely for it to happen as not since hours are so low and so many are willing to pick up extra days when needed.

His sentiment (and I agree with him) is that ALL cost cutting should have been done before any furloughs but it seems the opposite happened and in someways it appears "cost-cutting" measures were planned long before any economic downturn became a good excuse.

Furthermore, is it really prudent to spend so much extra money on first flight travel and a hotel room in the same city for a few days when the cost is double what the salary of some of the furloughed's daily rate was? Why spend ANY money on charter if the situations that create the charter can be easily fixed? One charter flight is a few months FO salary, right?

Is it rare or how many times have you traveled to a plane when there wasn't even another crewmember available. I've heard it happens a lot. That's wasted money.

I don't work there, I'm only going on what he tells me, what his flex friends have said when I've seen them or their wives. I think a lot of what's happended regardless of reason has been in FR's handbook for a while has it not? If I am wrong, tell me so.

I sincerely believe my husband and most of the people he works with (including some management) want to make Flex the best it can be. Why are you so threatened by a little discussion? Hopefully it is this same discussion that will bring back the Flex 85, stop future furloughs and improve QOL for everyone.

I'll bet we are closer to the same page than you think.

You got me...

My BS detector is pegged.

Now we'll go through 10 pages of "flex*wife" trying to convince everyone he's someone he's not.

Sorry it was an attempt at self deprecating humor made in an attempt to seem more human. I am simply using the stereotypes that I figured most of you would try to immediatly use (and did) and diffuse their power. You got me.

Personally I could care less whether or not you believe I am a flex wife. I know what I am. But just to amuse you, maybe I am FR himself. Maybe I am a hired union organizer. Maybe I am your ex girlfriend. Maybe I'm the smelly dude at the business center at TEB you are waiting on to get off the PC so you can check your email. Or just maybe I am just some random gal who has quietly hung out on this board for several years after my husband was hired so I could feign interest in his job waiting until he's about to lose it before I spoke up. If you were in the same position, I would hope your wife would care enough to put up with the crud of sexest losers to figure out how to help you and support you.

Does it really matter who or what I am? If I pretend to be some dumb a$$ pilot will you listen any better? These topics are still worth discussing and figuring out regardless of who or what you think I am.

So please can we move on from the subject of chromosones and onto real discussion? Or is that too threatening for you?

Ten posts and not one even half-hearted attempt at an answer. Would any active Flex pilots care to comment on the current state of affairs?

Latest resources

Back