• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's in a title?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was TDY to NAS Roosevelt Roads and saw the pictures and titles of top officers posted in base ops.
The best was "RADM XXXX, FASOTRAGRULANT". :cool:
I bet that was Roosy in the good ole days, club up on the hill, time for golf, sailing, and an occasional mission every other day.

I go by Captain, and only Captain! Great way to pick up women and earn the respect of others.
Do you have four strips on your pajamas? I flew with a Captain back in the 70's. He never took his uniform off, on a layover he would come to the restaurant in uniform. When asked why he did this, his answer was "People can tell I am an important person by the way I carry myself, so not confuse them on who I am I wear my uniform" So the F/E and I wondered if he had a Captain's PJ's to sleep in.

The title Captain has a broad application, I was called Captain in the Navy, you could half that rank in the USAF and be called Captain, you could be a boat driver, you could be the head doorman at a fancy hotel.

True story. In my freshman year of college I dated a girl whose father was a senior AA capt (mid to late 1960s hire). The mom and daughter would refer to him as Capt. around the house. In his view there was nothing more prestigious, nor any airline pilots better than AA pilots. My father and two older brothers were already at majors, but not truly worthy of his respect as they were not AA pilots. He did offer to let me do his Jepp revisions. The man was sky Nazi through and through. Hard to believe he was not liked by many at AA. His son, who was a good guy got hired at AA around 1990ish and had to pay for his father's jackassness.

My $.02:

Those who prefer to be called "captain", even when on the plane (as opposed to their first name) are d*uchebags with small d*cks and an inferiority complex. We're all professionals and we all know who's ultimately in charge.
The only time, IMHO, it's appropriate that he/she is addressed as "captain" is by pax (who don't know/forgot first name) or by other crew who also forgot first name.

I bet that was Roosy in the good ole days, club up on the hill, time for golf, sailing, and an occasional mission every other day.

Yeah, the only real drawback was the "no-see-um" bugs which could go right through window screens. The enlisted quarters were missing some screens entirely, and the clerk explained that some Marines had thrown other Marines through them. We met a submarine Captain and enjoyed a tour of his boat, which later became infamous for steaming out of Port Canaveral with a stripper dancing on the deck. :p

Why do you care? Silly thing to let bother you. I would recommend a hobby or two.

Funny you should ask.

Story goes that I take a few classes here and there trying to better myself. I have a class that the instructor was PIC er. Captain of a 737 operator. His email correspondence with me has the title Captain. I was commenting on it when my wife chimed in on my conversation with myself. So I thought I would toss flightinfo.com a softball to see what everyone else thought.

Guess I am not the only one that thinks this is an improper use of a title. I have too many hobbies, right now I am making a peltier fan to sit on top of my woodstove so I can steal free electricity from physics. Google that!

Latest resources

Back