Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Simon Says

New Airbus Regional Jet
I have a pet peeve, and I need some opinions to help clear it up for me.

If you worked for an airline and upgraded to Captain, your title at that time during professional situations was...Captain. I say professional situations because when said person is not at work, I would presume they do not go by the title Captain.

My questions,

1. If said person retires, do they retain the title Captain?

2. If the person does not retire, but moves on to another position at the company do they retain the title Captain? (moved on to management and no longer on a seniority list)

3. If you move on to become an aviation university instructor and no longer fly for an airline, does said person retain the title Captain?

4. Ultimately, when can you use the title and when can't you?

I personally think that the title is merely descriptive of your responsibilities at the moment, or as a function of your current employment status for pay purposes. Idiots that expect to be called "Captain" at home or in public outside of an airplane have serious ego issues. It is funny how people will move to management and desire to retain the title without retaining any of the responsibilities, pay, or schedule. Be consistent in all you do.

It's just the name of your current position in the cockpit. Outside the cockpit it doesn't mean ********************. I sit in the left seat at my regional. I sure as hell would not call myself captain if I got hired at United or UPS. It's not a fricken title of nobility or anything, though some folks do seem to think so.

It's just the name of your current position in the cockpit. Outside the cockpit it doesn't mean ********************. I sit in the left seat at my regional. I sure as hell would not call myself captain if I got hired at United or UPS. It's not a fricken title of nobility or anything, though some folks do seem to think so.

Mr. Moose got into this with Captain Kangaroo on one episode. It got ugly.

I can tell you it's a big deal overseas. The caste system is very much alive and takes a little getting used to.

I have a pet peeve, and I need some opinions to help clear it up for me.

If you worked for an airline and upgraded to Captain, your title at that time during professional situations was...Captain. I say professional situations because when said person is not at work, I would presume they do not go by the title Captain.

My questions,

1. If said person retires, do they retain the title Captain?

2. If the person does not retire, but moves on to another position at the company do they retain the title Captain? (moved on to management and no longer on a seniority list)

3. If you move on to become an aviation university instructor and no longer fly for an airline, does said person retain the title Captain?

4. Ultimately, when can you use the title and when can't you?

IMHO, once a Doctor—always a Doctor.

I maintain several relationships with retired Delta, Continental, United, Pan Am and US Airways pilots and refer to all of them as Captains.

Retired Captains, in my mind, shaped generations of pilots and moved thousands of passengers safely without bending any metal—they've earned it.

Captain is so yesterday, I go By El Jefe!

Latest resources

Back