• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's in a title?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Titles in aviation don't mean squat....is a King Air Captain more prestigeous than a Legacy FO? Should the King Air Captain be given special treatment at Olive Garden when he gives the name Captain Jackass to the host??

Doctors are Dr.'s for life.. They usually use the term " Hi I'm Doctor Awesome" in every day life... They move to a different practice they are still Doctors..

We move to a different job we're back to FO Numbnuts...Any pilot who uses the term Captain Jackass in the outside world (like at a restaurant) should be kicked in the nuts...

I was TDY to NAS Roosevelt Roads and saw the pictures and titles of top officers posted in base ops.
The best was "RADM XXXX, FASOTRAGRULANT". :cool:

I have a pet peeve, and I need some opinions to help clear it up for me.

If you worked for an airline and upgraded to Captain, your title at that time during professional situations was...Captain. I say professional situations because when said person is not at work, I would presume they do not go by the title Captain.

My questions,

1. If said person retires, do they retain the title Captain?

2. If the person does not retire, but moves on to another position at the company do they retain the title Captain? (moved on to management and no longer on a seniority list)

3. If you move on to become an aviation university instructor and no longer fly for an airline, does said person retain the title Captain?

4. Ultimately, when can you use the title and when can't you?

Why do you care? Silly thing to let bother you. I would recommend a hobby or two.

I go by Captain, and only Captain! Great way to pick up women and earn the respect of others.

Titles in aviation don't mean squat....is a King Air Captain more prestigeous than a Legacy FO? Should the King Air Captain be given special treatment at Olive Garden when he gives the name Captain Jackass to the host??

Doctors are Dr.'s for life.. They usually use the term " Hi I'm Doctor Awesome" in every day life... They move to a different practice they are still Doctors..

We move to a different job we're back to FO Numbnuts...Any pilot who uses the term Captain Jackass in the outside world (like at a restaurant) should be kicked in the nuts...

Any respectable person should be given respect. Captains and Doctors alike.

I don't know what Olive Gardens have to do with respect.

I know one guy that had "Capt. XXXXX" on his mailbox.

I remember another that wanted to be referred to as "Your Excellency". Fortunately, for all concerned, it was just an example of his wicked sense of humor:)

Last edited:
I upgraded to PIC at my company 13 years ago. My business card reads "Pilot" and always has. Always will. If you need the validation of someone calling you "Captain," you must be a joy to fly with for a week.

And one more thing.

I LOATHE it when my union publications say Steward "Captain" Robert Barberpole or President "FO" John Overspeed. All I care is that you are a pilot and that you do the job you were elected or appointed to perform. I don't give a rip which seat you occupy when flying the line.

Well it is useful for getting free subscriptions to trade magazines.:p

Latest resources

Back