• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's everyones backup career ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I gotta write this down. Pilots are pussies for voluntarily not putting themselves in harms way. Got it. Any other words of wisdom, oh great sage?:rolleyes:

What a moron...
Speaking of morons, your sig line says it all. look in the mirror, the problem I speak of will be staring you in the face.
PBR

I'm gonna shovel sh!t at my dad's feed lot. I'll spend more time with the family and scenery will make me feel like I'm still flying the line.

Gup

I just got offered 65k plus a hefty commissioin selling TIC/1031 properties in my home town for a very successful company. I hate to give up my passion (flying jets), but since I'm furloughed as of 5/01, what can I do? Oh yeah, I was hired into the NWA pool in February, but I really can't count on that now can I????

Some more suggestions:

Guy who hands out quarters at the arcade from his waist apron.

Guy who stands outside of Grand Central with painted plywood boards hanging from his back and torso with ads for "cheap suits" or "haircuts."

The DC3 job will be taken by a warrior, and if he/she is an airline pilot, they are one of the few in this industry who isn't a pussey. Danger isn't the proof, it is just a litmus test.
PBR

This part made me laugh. I wouldn't say that the guy who takes that job is a warrior, he could also just be the most desperate.

Going on strike and walking the line when your mortgage is past due and your family's livelihood hangs in the balance takes as much cojones as leaving everything behind to go seek fortune doing mercenary work. . . . I take my responsibility to my family above my responsibility for my own safety.

Will I walk the line? You're damn right I will. And when I do, I'll probably be fantasizing about making $200K flying DC3's in Afghanistan.

TW

I just got offered 65k plus a hefty commissioin selling TIC/1031 properties in my home town for a very successful company. I hate to give up my passion (flying jets), but since I'm furloughed as of 5/01, what can I do? Oh yeah, I was hired into the NWA pool in February, but I really can't count on that now can I????
OK, I'll bite...

In this market of depressed real estate values, how do you realize a PROFIT in trading two "like-properties"?

Who, besides an elite few who still have the money to play, can afford rental property anyway and why would they feel the need to trade versus an outright purchase of a new property when the interest rates are at all-time lows?

Not a bash, just trying to understand the basis for the 1031 during a housing market depression.

It's actually dealing with commercial properties with high credit tenants, so the value is already determined through a long term (10+ yrs) NNN lease. Dealing with high credit "investment grade" tenants only decreases the likelyhood of them ever defaulting on their lease.
Your value in a 1031 exchange comes from the ability to defer the capital gains tax that would be due if you sold the property outright. Combine that with the ability buy into a fraction of a much larger property as a TIC (up to 35 co-owners). Also, your day-to-day involvement is gone because the tenant takes care of most items (taxes, insurance, maintenance). A management company is usually hired to oversee the rest (mainly lease compliance and billing).
It all adds up to lower risk, no capital gains tax (for now), income growth through rent escalations, and future appreciation in the property.
I've rambled on way to long...sorry. Hope this answered your ???

Last edited:
Yup, clear as mud. :)

Seriously, like I thought, you're talking about investors with quite a bit of money to play with. Kudos that you have the relationships to get back into that kind of position.

Latest resources

Back